[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/g/ - Technology

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

haskell is pretty much the best managed language you could ask for as a game dev.
>immutable data
really helps with concurrent / parallel code as well as networking
>good C bindings
you can use C++ libs for physics, graphics, etc
>functional style
great for writing business logic without it becoming a fucking chore
>FRP
reactive programming done right. several implementations available in haskell
>>
File: use a real language.png (608 KB, 1893x806)
608 KB
608 KB PNG
>>
>>101213648
Why use hashkell if lua and its dialects can do 99% of all things that hashkell does + more? Or why not use hashkell with lua since it has some bindings to it i think.
>>
>>101214561
uh
wat
>>
>>101214593
Lua is also functional , also has c bindings and is already a popular game language. Haskell is niche and struggles on it own thus making haskell + lua an idea worth considering.
>>
>>101213648
idk make a game and showcase it to convince me op
>>
lol
>>
>>101213648
cool, post 10 popular games written in haskell
>>
>>101214233
why are mpv devs like this?
>>
>>101214848
hrt can fuck with your emotions at times especially if you are already unstable
speaking from experience
>>
>>101213648
Have fun with the garbage collector or porting your game to anything that isn't desktop. Also have fun getting libraries working on Windows.

I've written a rather simple game in Haskell and I speak from experience.
>>
>gc lang for gamedev
>>
>>101214890
Almost forgot, also have fun with space leaks and countless hours of optimizing and making functions strict.
>>
>>101214916
so our only choice is rust?
>>
>>101214929
C++ or C with raylib if you're based
C# if you're indian
>>
>>101214929
If you don't want the language and tooling to get in your way you write it in C. I don't even like C all that much but realistically it's one of the best choices for a game. The language gives you enough guarantees to enable you to write software that works, unless you're retarded. Memory isn't even an issue if you understand that you're not supposed to be allocating and freeing every single thing in the game every frame, instead just reuse memory through pools. You can also always add tests to guarantee certain things about your code if you really need to.

Oh yeah, that's another downside of Haskell, have fun trying to reuse memory. The language doesn't even allow it, not even through the C FFI because it still creates garbage. You literally have to modify GHC to add a way to be able to reuse memory. At least this was the case years ago but I haven't checked if they made improvements in this regard.

I personally write everything in Forth these days but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who doesn't enjoy Forth and just wants to write a working game. Simply because tooling is almost non-existant and you have to be skilled enough to write your own tooling or even your own Forth implementation if you want to port it to something that doesn't already have a Forth with the features you need. You can port Forth to anything, so as long as you write relatively portable Forth, you can get it working on anything if you have the time and skill. For instance, you could trivially write a Forth implementation in Java and have it interface with Android. If it would be fast enough is another question, but for more performance you would need to write an ARM Forth implementation and then interface with Android, which isn't as trivial as piggybacking on a high level language like Java.

To put things into perspective, you can write a fully functional Forth that runs in any high level language within a day or three, but performance may be an issue.
>>
>>101214929
>>101215179
thanks but im sticking with rust desu

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.