[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/g/ - Technology

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: poetterware.jpg (44 KB, 422x375)
44 KB
44 KB JPG
While Linux now has the equivalent of bluescreen, you can configure your kernel to show some color other than blue

https://lore.kernel.org/dri-devel/20240627-congenial-pistachio-nyala-848cf4@houat/T/#u

Given complaints about bluescreen being too like Microsoft Windows following Poetterings recent Linux "Blue Screen of Death" showcase...

He showed that a black screen of death is possible if so desired... After all, it's all open-source and thus can customize to your heart's content. In Windows you cant change the color.
Text is white if screen is black.

And now the panic handler is getting even more new features:
With the code in Linux 6.10 when DRM Panic is triggered, an ASCII art version of Linux's mascot, Tux the penguin, is rendered as part of the display. With Linux 6.11 it will also be able to handle displaying a monochrome image as the logo.

If ASCII art on error messages doesn't satisfy your tastes in 2024+, the DRM Panic code will be able to support a monochrome graphical logo that leverages the Linux kernel's boot-up logo support. The ASCII art penguin will still be used when no graphical logo is found or when the existing "LOGO" Kconfig option is disabled.
>>
File: 1719775796398.gif (1.93 MB, 400x300)
1.93 MB
1.93 MB GIF
wow, so much innovation
>>
Brilliant. By rendering the logo the zoomers will be all for it. Anti-systemd schizos will now be occupied by arguing with ricing zoomers.
>>
isnt that the guy who made systemd and works for microsoft?
>>
>>101218617
literally nobody asked for this.
>>
Am I still going to have a simple way to read the stack trace if shit hit the fan and it couldn't be saved to disk because the kernel state was fucked? Or is this space taken up with useless logos now?

>OP kernel.org link
Waaaaaaay tl;dr, after scrolling a long way I'm unable to tell if there's a discussion here or just miles of near useless lists of individual changes and files modified.
>>
>>101219739
Well, nobody really asked for systemd either ...
>>
File: PANIC.png (15 KB, 300x300)
15 KB
15 KB PNG
I LIKE IT
>>
finnish is such a retarded language
>>
>>101219862
Canonical and RH kinda did and fought for something like 3 years to see what would substitute it.
>>
>>101218617
>no error logs for kernel panic, just automatic shutdowns
>right now
hahaha, yeah no, i an not updating arch so i am fine for now but if push comes to shove and i am forced to install a new system it will NOT be systemd. I have never even used anything used anything aside from systemctl, instead usong dhclient, iwd, resolv.conf etc...
>>
>>101218617
Does this mean I can have a trans flag of death?
>>
>>101219865
Don't go alone aaa logo
>>
>>101219592
>>101219739
You people are so fucking stupid
https://www.phoronix.com/news/Linux-DRM-Panic-BSoD-Picture
For once in your life read the article
>>101219770
>>101222536
This was a simple demo. Of course it's going to have more information

The fact that the blue wasn't even the default is what makes this the funniest to me. The guy just made it blue to joke about it being the blue screen of death, and a horde of retards freaks the fuck out
>>
>>101218617
Does this mean I can make a fully white screen of desth so it flashbangs the user at night.
>>
>>101222575
only in two colors on the screen at the same time
>>
Fuck. I'm going to have to start building my own kernel again.
>>
>>101225016
I don't give a shit about the little picture or what color it is. If they can make it display a message identifying the cause of the panic, and have a key to press to view the entire stack trace, scrollable if it's taller than the screen, it's an improvement over what it does today. I've had kernel panics happen where I can't identify the cause because the stack trace is too long to fit on screen, the machine is halted so I can't scroll it, and it isn't saved to disk.
>>
>>101225016
Nobody asked for blue or black screen of death on linux.
We only wanted to see kernel panic message so we can fix it.
>>
>>101219865
>tfw when you used to boot Linux and the number of tuxes = the number of cores
>>
File: windows bsod.jpg (116 KB, 1200x1200)
116 KB
116 KB JPG
>>
>>101227106
> used to
I still have that activated lol

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.