[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/g/ - Technology

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: gee.png (16 KB, 612x431)
16 KB
16 KB PNG
I get it, security is important especially for some websites with your sensible information such as payment methods and all this shit.
But why does every website now not trust you by default when you try to access? Yeah it's my account and I'm using my password, maybe it's me? Do I need to go through 2-3 loops every time, another login to the mail for the code, which maybe will ask me to log into the OTHER mail for another code, that will ask for my phone number for a third SMS code?
>>
>>101219394
They would rather have you be annoyed than deal with the fallout of you getting hacked
>>
>>101219417
Protonmail doesn't do this shit. I can login from any location in the world via my VPN, but if you tried that with jewgle your account would get locked instantly.
>>
>>101219394
Convenience vs security is an ancient debate. Leaning toward convenience tends to be bad for providers since most people can't be trusted with basic security concepts (a good password, using the right website, not falling for indian scams, etc)
>>
>company protects my data instead of letting pajeets use it
boohoo poor you
>>
>>101219891
SMS is insecure.
There is no reason to require a phone number when TOTP exists.
>>
>>101219394
It should always be possible to unlock your account with a TOTP. It should be a backup mechanism that could recover your account even when you can't access anything else. But alas, they only offer sms and email.
>>
>>101219521
protonmail is unironically compromised fedware
>>
>>101221724
people like you must hang
>>
>>101222448
>what is simswapping
>>
>>101219394
It's insane
>forget pass
>reset it
>have to meet some crazy requirement in the password
>can't use my usual one that meets those
>have to use a new one that i won't remember
>have to reset my password again
>alll this so you can log in to the driver ddownloading software to use your fucking hardware
antichrist
>>
>>101219417
Exactly this. I would rather be mildly annoyed the rare time that the site's cookie expires in my browser, than wake up to find my bank account drained from buying expensive shit because somebody snuck a keylogger into my computer and stole my password.

>>101219521
Google doesn't lock you out for this. Someone at my company had a tool that reported back error logs by using a Gmail account to send it in an email. It worked flawlessly until we opened some foreign sites. Then it demanded a browser login and captcha before it would trust that site's IP for some time before doing it again. At no point was the account locked though. Obviously we got the tool moved to a more sensible logging mechanism too.
>>
>>101221724
SMS for one time codes at login is insecure, and sites that use it that way should switch to TOTP. But many sites also use it to link accounts to phone numbers, which makes it harder to create mass amounts of bot accounts.
>>
>>101219394
Every time some group of "hackers" grabs credentials from a db leak and uses them en masse to sign in on other services full of retards that reuse passwords, the service gets a bunch of negative press even though they've done nothing wrong and it's all entirely the fault of their retarded uses who reuse passwords. We've trained them to be overly cautious because they get dragged every time anything that's not their fault happens.
>>
>>101219394
>>101223294
most people enable cookies and sync everything from their phone to the computer have the casual google or whatever FAGMAN account and never logout, they don't remember their password, they don't need a password its all by the authenticity of their device. you can't play both worlds
if you need a computer for your normie cuck life do as everyone else, install windows, use the most cucked browser and distribute your FAGMAN account with both your phone and the computer, this will be for work, shopping and every normal cuck nigger shit you need in life.
if you want to do shit without these cluster of identifiers use a different machine, isolate your environment
>>
>>101219394
>which maybe will ask me to log into the OTHER mail for another code, that will ask for my phone number for a third SMS code?
it's just a way to get more information out of you so they can track you easier

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.