[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/g/ - Technology

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: icom-ic-7300_pr6016_1.jpg (43 KB, 600x271)
43 KB
43 KB JPG
Ham radio thread, share what you're interested in relating to the hobby

I'm in UK working on intermediate licence planning to get full right after. I've just bought a CW paddle and CW hotline after learning morse on apps on my phone.

Currently only have cheap Baofeng UV5R handy but looking to get into HF and SDR. Recently went to an open day at a local club and was impressed by how much they have going on, going to go regularly although it's a lot of boomers they have good knowledge
>>
File: nft(1).jpg (3.27 MB, 3264x2448)
3.27 MB
3.27 MB JPG
>>101219850
I talk on a local vhf simplex channel. Theres a small ham community in my city that uses simplex and theyre ok dudes. No hall monitor type dickheads to ruin the mood. Theres even some rattlegram usage.
>>
Possibly off-topic: I want to buy SDR hardware that can pick up WWV/WWVH at 5, 10, 15, or 20 MHz. I seek recommendations for dongles and antennas. I intend both to listen and to use the embedded encoded time data.
>>
File: CR-1a.jpg (137 KB, 693x651)
137 KB
137 KB JPG
>>101219850
Yaesu ft817 here, i like qrp rigs (low power) i dont talk on it except on the CB frequencies, and use it mostly for listening
>>
>>101221167
oops, wrong picture, this one
>>
>>101219850
sorry, I'd rather spend my money in hobbies that don't require me to go sit in front of a bunch of boomers for a loicense
>>
I filter out your radio's privacy ctcss tone with a checkbox and a $25 TV tuner and can also scan the entire radio spectrum that your shitty Chinese radio can broadcast on in seconds, I can also tell when you use a baofeng from its low frequency ID tone that the Chinese government forces it to transmit for each and every transmission. By the way, the reward for catching you using it without a license on channels not legal, is around $200 for each transmission recorded
you will never be a real ham
>>
>>101219850
... mod them for just above and just below 11 meters. Can't stand most HAMs.

>>101221359
Not the person you are replying to, had FCC officers sitting next to me whilst broadcasting out of HAM bands. In reality they don't care if you are not interfering and will only make examples of the real idiots that go out of their way to be a nuisance.
>>
>>101220218
Recommendation I got from guy at the club who has good sdr set up was that zumspot is a good hotspot and so is MMDVM, you can get a handheld from Retevis that does DMR for about 130USD, thinking of having those as my next purchase as there is a DMR repeater fairly close by
>>
Ham radio operators don't deserve respect.
>>
>>101221359
I guess this is a troll but I already have my foundation licence.

Baofeng not great true but I got new antenna and regularly get 15 miles on local repeater. Saving up to get into HF
>>
>>101219960
Yeah I talk on Saturday mornings usually, I regularly get called young and I'm late 30s so that gives an ides of average age but at the open day there was a decent mix of old and young

>>101221212
Nice set up and beautiful view, I've just learnt about WSPR amd QRP and its a fascinating challenge and quite cheap, think I'll get a kit to solder together amd give it a go
>>
>>101219850
>>>/diy/ham/
>>
>>101221212
you live on a boat?
>>
>>101221808
Thanks

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.