[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/g/ - Technology

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: Ipadipadipadipad.jpg (89 KB, 880x1000)
89 KB
89 KB JPG
Would you ever replace your laptop with a tablet, anon? It IS the future after all.
>>
File: lenovo x1 tablet gen 3.jpg (1.12 MB, 2048x1536)
1.12 MB
1.12 MB JPG
>>101220222
a tablet that runs x64 windows yes
>>
File: eNhf3sSfDcFZPBwV9zioon.jpg (266 KB, 2048x1536)
266 KB
266 KB JPG
>>101220244
>>101220222
>no touchpad buttons
unusable trash
>>
>>101220222
Haven't owned a laptop since 2016.
Desktop + phone is fine and now those foldable phones have a bigger screen so even less reason for one.
>>
>>101220381
Seriously if you have a foldable screen and a desktop why the hell would you have any need for a tablet? You need a screen with the exact same functionality that's 1 inch bigger?
>>
>>101220222
I'm not going to type on a skin flap
>>
>>101220222
nah, working on those things sucks
but my ipad does work as a wireless, portable self-powered second monitor for my laptop
>>
>>101220222
Yeah if I can buy one that runs fully FOSS from the hardware up and doesn't come with Applefag walled garden or Google telemetry cancer
>>
>>101220445
You can just get a pixel tab and flash graphene os
>>
lol no, they are goysloop consumption machines, you can't do serious work on them
>>
>>101220222
When hell freezes over, that's when.
>>
The screen on the new iPads is best kind of display you can get on any consumer device. I really want one. Seeing it in person at the store blew my mind. Should I just bite the bullet?
>>
>>101220463
But at its core, it's still a Google machine and probably phones home.

>>101220473
>>101220495
Based.
>>
>>101220222
>no numpad
instantly trashed
>>
>>101220222
small displays are pissing me off at this point. i hurt my neck looking down at my laptop screen, and I know you're supposed to prop it up on a stand or whatever but fuck all of that
>>
What laptop should I get?
>>
>>101220222
I have been trying. It really isn't a good experience still.
>>
>>101220505
It's great, I have got edovia Screens and a vpn setup on my Mac Studio and PC so the new 11" IPad Pro is basically my OLED MacBook Air that also runs windows/linux or hits my server when needed. It's very nice. As much as I love the Apple silicon 14" MacBook pros, they feel like bloat in my bag when I'm not working. The iPad Pro is a wisp.
>>
>>101220222
No because the keyboards are shit and there's no good "case" for a proper keyboard. And even if there was, why wouldn't I just use a laptop?
>>
>>101220222
2 in 1 laptops are the ideal, having a shitty detachable keyboard is pointless
>>
>>101220222
if they ever allow iPad to have Mac OS, then yeah sure
it's basically the same thing as a macbook as it is right now
>>
>>101220430
yeah, that's pretty cool. I'm thinking of getting one for this purpose alone but it's hard to justify its price when that's the only use I can think of for an ipad
>>
>>101222611
yeah, I got it primarily for note-taking and textbooks. didn't even think about the second monitor thing but it works extremely well if you ever work away from desk. no wires, no extra drain on the laptop battery, case doubles as a stand. bright screen

i guess it's good for media consumption but i tend to prefer the laptop for that desu
>>
>>101222290
Yes it is a magical wisp that guides us all back to our boyfriends at the end of the day.
I'm glad we are all gay.
>>
>>101223471
my boyfriend is a server rack filled with $20K in equipment, ok, i'm a next level fag, and don't you forget it.
>>
>>101223524
Do you have an infiniband 800G switch?
>>
>>101220222
Nothing a tablet does is of the slightest use to me. I can't see any need for touchscreen anything. A tablet or convertible is a straight downgrade from a conventional laptop.
>>
>>101223542
Maybe if I got fuck you money. I only have one 4090 anon, please, I'm very modest.
>>
>>101220222

No

.t field engineer
>>
If you're posting here it's sort of out of the picture but for normies, the m4 13 inch ipad pounds. Wife just got one for use at school. Better for an average person or someone in school that's not going into tech in literally every way.
>>
>>101220222
Not with current ones.
>stands never hold them as nicely as a laptop, making it awkward to use on a lap or plane tray table
>always more fiddly to set up and close, laptop you just shut the lid when you don't want to use it anymore
>keys almost always suck balls for typing more than short things
>link between tablet and keyboard is often wireless, resulting in 2 batteries to keep charged and the possibility of needing to fiddle with it to make it connect again
>keyboard/mouse support on tablet OSes is always subpar compared to desktop OSes
>usually runs kneecapped mobile versions of programs while a laptop runs the real thing
>>
>>101223936
basically none of this is true on the latest ipad pro with the stand, not shilling it, but its solved like all of this.
>>
>>101220222
I wanted to but surfaces get hot and uncomfortable to use and ipads are too limited for my workflow which involves animation.
My sp3 would get so hot it got replaced 5 or 6 times and I'm not even being a shitter. The glue holding the glass to the screen would go yellow and so would any paper placed near it.
They eventually replaced it with a sp4 as an apology but it had the same issues so I tried an ipad pro with an apple pencil a couple years later and while it felt great I just couldn't get what I needed done and had to give up on that dream and went back to using my pen display full-time.
Microsoft and Apple don't even care anymore either. They released a few first-party programs/apps but they all just feel an awful like tech demos when it comes to pens/stylii.
>>
>>101220222
If the ipad pro could run normal(non-touch) MacOS and cellular calling I'd replace everything and just use one of those from now on.
But it can't because Apple would never do that because then nobody would also buy their macbook air and their iphone, so fuck apple.
>>
>>101220222
i tried. it's too expensive, when you buy all the add-ons that you need, e.g. the keyboard and maybe the pencil, in comparison with just buying a laptop. and ipados really sucks for web browsing, as it will kill all safari tabs whenever it wants.
>>
>>101220222
I wanted to but companes and devs don't like the idea of actually supporting pen input. They think they do but when it comes down to it they just give up after a generation or two and then its an afterthought at best.
Even the apple pencil is sorta tepid and its entirely because you don't have any power or control over the OS.
>>
>>101220222
No. I would replace my X13 Gen 2 with a swivel hinge convertible though. Man I miss my Latitude XT2. I wish a Core2 Duo and 6GB RAM was still enough and I wish I pushed it further while it was.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.