[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/g/ - Technology

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Im thinking about buying a 4k120hz tv to replace my monitors on my desk but my graphics card doesnt have a hdmi 2.1 port on it and the tv wont have a display port on it so i was wondering if a display port to hdmi 2.1 adapter would work with both my pc and tv and have no issues, does anyone know?
picrel is the adapter i was planning to get
>>
I tried a monoprice cable but it glitched out. But i use linux
>>
>>101220590
Dont buy these adapters. Their design kills these due to cable weight stress. I've bought ~3 different adapter designs and they all just fail due to cable weight stress. Just get a full DisplayPort to HDMI cable directly. That works the best.
>>
>>101220590
im a tech-illiterate dumbass so take this with a grain of salt but if your gpu supports DP++ you could just get a DP to HDMI cable instead of having to use an adapter
look for the two plus signs on the displayport socket
adapters introduce latency iirc
>>
>>101220674
like this?
>>
>>101220677
idk if mine is dp++
https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/evga-rtx-3060-xc.b8620
this is the card i have
>>
>>101220685
Yes. Whatever cable you buy, the cable designs are better from an engineering stress pov.
>>
>>101220775
quick google search shows that dp 1.4 only support hdmi up to 2.0, which tops out at 4k60
>but my gpu has dp 1.4a
i looked a bit and couldnt find anything mentioning they updated the hdmi mode for that version, so i'm just gonna assume they didn't. you might need an adapter after all
other anons feel free to correct me
>>
>>101220590
I'd say buy an active dp to hdmi cable but even then it might top out at 60hz, check your gpu support, can be finicky with display edid
>>
>>101220677
>>101220879
>>101221113
okay i might be stupid but i just checked and apparently my gpu has 2.1 hdmi on it so i think i might just be good with a normal hdmi 2.1 cable
>>
>>101220590
Startech products never failed me
I always count on them when I need some obscure doohickey that actually works and actually lasts
>>
just buy a better gpu
you'll never get 1:1 compatibility out of a chink adapter
>>
yes it might work but NVIDIA and other OEMs might do some screwing with the driver that disables the feature and will revert you to hdmi 2.0 and maybe the cable manufacturer might make a firmware update to get it back up.
>>
>>101220590
I got a 43 inch LG C4 for a PC monitor. Totally worth it.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.