[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/g/ - Technology

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: image.png (238 KB, 748x840)
238 KB
238 KB PNG
post good error messages.
>>
File: avidemux_UKBsVJhCU9.png (3 KB, 383x72)
3 KB
3 KB PNG
>>
File: GRP_fckWQAAbERT.png (29 KB, 358x127)
29 KB
29 KB PNG
>>
>>
>>
>>101220996
WITNESS ME
>>
>>101221879
This is exactly what you want to see when installing an OS, never mind being told what went wrong so you can actually fix the problem
>>
>>101221879
>>101221039
Unoriginal, unfunny, and you aren't welcome in this thread.
>>
>>101221985
aw u mad cuz your wangblows bad
>>
>>101221039
>>101221879
Original, funny, and you are very much welcome in this thread.
>>
File: you are on your own.jpg (2.05 MB, 2592x1944)
2.05 MB
2.05 MB JPG
>>
>>101220996
I'm not sure if it counts, but here are a some error messages examples from the Windows User Experience Guidelines.
>>
>>101222322
>tfw trying to manually boot grub
>>
File: kf50j2t472t01.jpg (1.4 MB, 4032x3024)
1.4 MB
1.4 MB JPG
>>
>>101220996
>the game
>>
File: 3Y8yH.jpg (49 KB, 600x450)
49 KB
49 KB JPG
>>
File: ql6RhlU-3371775989.jpg (531 KB, 3264x1836)
531 KB
531 KB JPG
not my pic but I get this every fucking time I install some software on linux when I haven't updated the system in a while. why doesn't the software install just fail? why does it fuck everything up?
>>
File: 1671904529008537.jpg (201 KB, 1005x1024)
201 KB
201 KB JPG
>>
>>101221039
I've never understood the issue with this. Obviously the intent is that you figure out your keyboard problem, AND THEN push F1 to continue once you have a working keyboard.
Sucks if you're trying to make a headless server and the BIOS setup doesn't have an option to bypass it though.
>>
>>101222608
This one feels threatening for some reason
>>
>>101222322
This seems sensible enough. It's basically saying your system is fucked, here's a shell you can use to try to figure out what's wrong if you know what you're doing. The alternative is saying your system is fucked and providing no tools to fix it.
>>
>>101220996
#include __FILE__
#include __FILE__

these two lines result in about 2^200 lines of error messages
you can bump the amount of lines by specifying -fmax-include-depth=N, where 2^(N+2 ) is equal to the amount of error lines you get
>>
>>101222322
>trying to use sudo on a root prompt
This is funny because I can feel smug and superior about it.
>>
>>101222853
>tools to fix it
>can't even turn the computer off
>>
>>101222822
It was from a time where USB keyboards were rare and not necessarily even supported by the BIOS (only in Windows; meaning, yes, you had to have a PS2 keyboard as a backup).
PS2 keyboards are not *really* plug-and-play (it was a marketing word; that's how long ago this was), in that it needs to be present during BIOS initialization to be working; it may then, though not recommended, be removed and reattached once registered.

Which is the reason keyboard error exists in the first place: Exactly so that you DON'T start the computer WITHOUT a keyboard.
It was very much intended for you to not be able to clear that error and physically have to press the reset button.

You're welcome.
>>
>>101222822
It literally says "keyboard not found".
You can't fix a "keyboard not found" in the bios start sequence. It will only register a connected keyboard after a hardware reset.
>>
>>101222884
WHY
WOULD
YOU
MAKE

IT

POSSIBLE

TO
FORK

BOMB

THROUGH

COMPILER

ACTION

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
>>
>>101222945
You have a power button. If you don't want to use that, try shutdown -f. The problem with regular shutdown is that it calls init and asks it to shut down cleanly, and at this point during boot, init is a shell script that loads modules and tries to mount the root device, and doesn't process requests to shut down. Shutdown -f makes it instead go straight to BIOS and ask that to shut off the computer. Normally that would lose data in disk write caches, but this early in boot it's the correct thing to do.
>>
>>101222955
>>101222964
Thanks. I've hotplugged PS/2 keyboards but only in boards that are new enough that it has whatever electrical protections so it doesn't fry the port. I don't recall if I've hotplugged one at this BIOS prompt though.
But yeah, "Turn off the computer, connect a working keyboard, and then try turning it on again." would be a better message.

I'm guessing it doesn't want to boot the OS without a keyboard because then you might be stuck with no way to park the hard disk before shutting it off (DOS with old pre-IDE hard disks) or cleanly shut down (Windows 95 onward).
>>
>>101223011
Because older programming languages were created with the assumption that its user isn't a drooling idiot, an assumption that is now known to be often incorrect.
>>
>>101223112
The fact that only a drooling idiot would make that assumption...
>>
>>101223036
>sh: shutdown: not found
>>
>>101223196
Is "poweroff" present?
>>
File: too many windows.gif (2 KB, 327x119)
2 KB
2 KB GIF
>>
File: ah fuck.jpg (25 KB, 587x323)
25 KB
25 KB JPG
>>
File: 182th century.jpg (657 KB, 2000x2000)
657 KB
657 KB JPG
>>
>>101223222
idk, I'm quoting >>101222322
they didn't seem to try poweroff
>>
>>101222519
>>101223196
Executing the following can force a reboot in the event that you can't reboot for some reason. I've had to resort to this on several occasions.
echo 1 > /proc/sys/kernel/sysrq
echo b > /proc/sysrq-trigger
>>
>>101223251
Reasonable. Anyway if that isn't present, "halt -p -f", "busybox poweroff -f" and "busybox halt -p - f" are what I'd try next. Halt typically comes alongside poweroff and reboot, and halts the system without shutting off power, but -p makes it work like poweroff. And inside an initramfs all of those will usually be symlinks to a single busybox binary that performs all the actual functions based on what it was called as. If the function is present in busybox but the symlink isn't there, you can call the function by invoking busybox and giving it the function name as the first argument.
>>
>>101223302
Thanks, didn't know about this way. And apparently o instead of b if you want to shut it off instead.
>>
>>101223102
>But yeah, "Turn off the computer, connect a working keyboard, and then try turning it on again." would be a better message.
Now you factor in the firmware developer and the available hardware at the time, who decide between:
>Use "Press F1 to continue" for all messages
>Custom messages for custom error codes

Once you've figured it all out, it raises less eyebrows than when someone actually did the code for that, lol.
>>
>>101223354
You're very welcome.

Here, have an updoot
>>
>>101221985
You are a dickhead
>>
>>101223245
You jest, but for one second set aside all the doom and gloom and consider humanity lives another 50K years.
This comment may live forever.
>>
>>101223241
So put in the Windows CD and click OK. This is from the days when hard disks were smaller so copying 100+ MB of install archives by default wasn't acceptable. For modern Win9x installs on either VMs or retro PCs with newer drives, I xcopy the i386 directory off the CD and then run setup.exe from the hard disk, that way it will never ask for the damned disc.

I've seen an idiotic form of this error that asks for the Windows 95 CD to be inserted in drive A. That's the floppy drive so it's obviously not possible, and the way to continue is put the CD in D or whatever, click OK, and then it will let you browse for the correct location on the CD. If you're lucky it will remember that location for the rest of the files it wants. If you're not, it'll bitch about the CD not being in the floppy drive for each file that it wants, and make you browse for the correct location again.
>>
>>101222355
>insensitive phrasing
The absolute state.
>>
>>101222355
You can just smell the Pajeetness from it.
No wonder all their error messages are shit and the whole OS is littered with toddler language.
That being said: "Illegal" characters is wrong, but not for making the user feel like a criminal, but because it's INVALID!
*throws thesaurus at anon*
>>
>>101223440
The bigger issue is not telling the user why the name is bad. Windows handles this problem better -- if you type a : or > or whatever when renaming a file, it will pop up a list of characters you can't put in filenames. Though then if you try to name your file con, aux or prn it freaks out with less explanation.

It's also generally good to avoid "illegal". Support lines got occasional calls from boomers freaking out about their computer doing illegal shit and are the cops coming to shut down an illegal operation, when they got a "this program has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down" dialog in Win9x. "Program has encountered a problem and needs to close" is far better phrasing.
>>
>>101223458
That is from 2006, you stupid racist.
>>
>>101220996
>the game
NOOOOOOOOOO
>>
>>101223458
"Invalid" isn't a great word either. It's a silly word and it's going to cause Karen to call support and scream that her computer just called her an invalid. "Disallowed" gets the point across better and the worst you get is users wanting to know what about the entry they typed isn't allowed and why.
>>
>>
>>101223575
you motherfucker
>>
>>101223510
>The bigger issue is not telling the user why the name is bad
Agree, but the pic doesn't say that. It's criticising the error message for stating the fact that the cause of the error is bad user input.
>It's also generally good to avoid "illegal".
Issue with the user being retarded. Not a problem with the error.
>>
>>101223774
Users being retarded is a given, and something that devs need to design around. If you make choices that confuse retarded users, your bosses will have to pay for more support staff to sit around all day and answer the same retarded questions when these users call.
>>
File: kernelpaniclion.png (138 KB, 738x233)
138 KB
138 KB PNG
>>
>>101222582
This is wayland not doing anything it's designed to do.
You dared lock your screen. It is now broken. This is your fault.
Solution: use something reliable like X11
>>
File: fortunecookies.png (2 KB, 357x120)
2 KB
2 KB PNG
>>
File: 1275372293535.gif (3 KB, 100x100)
3 KB
3 KB GIF
>>
>>101222955
>>101223102
The error also helped with a later problem known as the A20 line. The original PC only accessed a total of 1MB of RAM and trying to access memory past this limit would result in a wraparound and as is always the case programmers used this quirk and software expected it to be there. So when the 286 came about they needed a way to both allow 16MB of RAM and optionally emulate the wraparound effect for compatibility. And they did this with a software controllable logic gate on address line 20. But where to put this logic gate? IBM decided to use the keyboard controller. Perfectly reasonable at the time, but it did mean that if you didn't have a keyboard connected the keyboard controller would fail to operate and a 286 aware OS wouldn't be able to assert the A20 line and shit would break. So continuing to fail hard with F1 to continue was essential.

Your modern PC still has this A20 hack, but nowadays it's not in the keyboard controller. It's emulated on the CPU directly. But it's true that to this day the first thing an OS has to do is tell the system to disable the 1MB wraparound hack.

Also, yes, PS/2 keyboards were NOT hot pluggable on the original PS/2. Attempting to hotplug them WOULD blow a fuse (or a capacitor, I forget). This hardware flaw was fixed on later revisions, but as with all good warnings, we warn about them long after the cause is gone.
>>
>>101224357
Educational post, Anon!
>>
>>101222146
nah, posts like yours is oversaturated reddit shit, you are on 4chan, not reddit comment section, tourist.
>>
>>101224357
Lived this in my first job, lost the keyboard trying to hot plug on a server fried the port. got around it by making it headless and remoting into it... still, it was terrifying I thought I would lose my job but the apparent "upgrade" led them to give me a "frim handshake and pat on the back"
>>
>>101224357
Wait, the A20 gate was in the keyboard itself, not in the motherboard chip that talks to it?! Or did the controller just not operate correctly if no keyboard was present for it to control? Also I'm guessing it got moved out of there fairly quickly since there are some older PCs that can function with no PS/2 keyboard attached.
>But it's true that to this day the first thing an OS has to do is tell the system to disable the 1MB wraparound hack.
At least with BIOS/CSM legacy boot mode, yeah it always starts up acting the same as the hardware of an original PC, if faster. Modern UEFI executables are launched already in 64 but long mode though.
>>
>>101224676
:)
>>
>>101223127
it was a different time, whites everywhere
>>
>>101221963
Fixing the problem?
Who do you think you are, the owner? No you are to report this to the actual owner so they can either fix their property or sell you a new lease version.
>>
>>101223458
I've always wondered why illegal? What legality is this shittily named file breaking and what pointdexter now dead from moderna or assassination because he knew too much thought it was a clever idea.
>>
>>101223011
because the preprocessor is quite literal
>>
>>101224335
cute
>>
>>101223440
>>101223458
Hello, retard. Such messages are intended to be read from the POV of a grandma who barely knows how to maximize a window.
If someone who's not good with computers sees "CATASTROPHIC FAILURE!!!! AN ILLEGAL ACTION OCCURRED!!!", they're going to freak out and think their computer is broken.
This is the sort of thing that Indians capitalize on when they call grandma and tell her there's hackers in her computer because they show her the stopped services dialog and all the red error messages look scary.
Hencewise, it is so declared that error messages will be clear, concise, and not written so as to amuse the neck beard coding them.
Leave it to infrahumans like you to get upset at guidelines saying that error messages should be explicit and not comical...

In the Utopic Future, such people as you could be NWUs (Nameless Worker Units)
What does this mean?
NWUs live, sleep, work and breed in Gigafactory complexes. They do not have names because they do not need them. They are given GUIDs or SHA256 hashes as identifiers, and it is the only information they are given about themselves.
A NWU's task might be phrased like this:
"Unit 3eebc841f ASSIGNED to Task 27740 in Building A-31C."
Because they have no names, families, or even learn how to speak, a nameless worker unit is the perfect drone to work in the back end of the perfect utopia.
Their work is overseen by a kind, but firm council of transgender wiccan witches
>>
>>101222322
I ran into this shit a lot when setting up luks2 I have a stick permanently plugged in with the live boot installed now
>>
>>101222582
Don't do your update via a terminal window in a session.
Either use the updater tool of Gnome, KDE, whatever or do your update via a virtual terminal.
>>
>>101223011
not *technically* a fork bomb, atleast not until some crackhead implements multithreaded compilation at the compiler level...

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.