[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/g/ - Technology

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 5199158591714063157gol1.jpg (318 KB, 2560x1348)
318 KB
318 KB JPG
I dislike snaps too, have years that I don't even thought about using Ubuntu or any of their flavors on my computer again. Ubuntu before Canonical start to push snaps was great and had almost no reason to anyone use something different, it was a respectful flagship that beginners could easily identify due it design choices. Now, I see firstly on Youtube, pushing a lot of meme distros, things that no normal person would use, literal weekend projects (Manjaro, Garuda, SteamOS "clones", etc). Or even marketing Fedora as "the new Ubuntu", a distro that dropped X11, in favor of Wayland, that doesn't have no/bad support to color profiles, digital drawing desks and a lot of other stuff and is a lab for Red Hat/IBM products.

Last week I had one of these "distro hopping days". Since I can't stop working, I made a little partition on my SSD with Ubuntu 24.04 to get stuff done. Ignoring the snap thing, everything worked much better than anything I tried, it have identity, personality, good customization on top of GNOME.

Ubuntu became my main to work, and for enthusiast stuff, I'll use Debian or Arch Linux. Now, the question: Ubuntu moving to snap packages is what made the distro choosing a nightmare? Because for real, I wouldn't use anything different of it, if I was a beginner or a old man that just want to use it computer as a tool that works.

Oh yeah, before someone asks, I love Debian and I would use it, but the GNOME version on it's stable version gave me headaches while using it on X11 and it is my preference to work. Mint is a good choice, but it have some issues firstly related to Cinnamon.
>>
wow another thread about linux distros and snap thread how engaging
>>
File: reading.webm (987 KB, 406x720)
987 KB
987 KB WEBM
I'm not reading that.
>>
>>101221286
Your ESL is really making it hard to read that post.
Fuck snaps.
Fuck (((Canonical))).
Fuck dynamic linking.
>>
>>101221286
*yawn* don't care, still using ubuntu
>>
Snaps represent ubuntus deviation from debian to a separate and immutable distribution. Bad for debian chuds because cannonical has funded debian development for decades at this point.
>>
>>101221470
kek what a dimwit, dynamic linking is good, retards who got filtered by it are the ones shilling snaps
>>
Snap has problems, to put it simply. If it were just an additional layer like flatpak it wouldn't matter, but the way they're doing it is removing shit from the main repository and replacing it with "trap" packages that makes you install the snap. Now that is absolute cancer.
>>
>>101224256
you deserve it for being a binary slop consumer
>>
>>101224222
Dynamic linking is why Linux is a complete cluster fuck that is extremely painful to develop/distribute software for.
It's why canonical felt the need to develop the abortion that is snap, it's why flatpak exists, it's why appimage exists and it's even partly why docker exists.
>>
>>101224567
>t. incompetent dev blaming the tool/platform/user
git gud
>>
>>101224579
>t. nodev linux user who has never distributed a single piece of software

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.