[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/g/ - Technology

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1719779190452077.png (10 KB, 615x251)
10 KB
10 KB PNG
Why did the PS3 get so much hate?

from what i understood the processor of the ps3 was so complex, that no game developer understood how to properly program games on it
>>
>>101222614
because, unlike the xbox 360, the ps3 had a shitty architecture
>>
PS2 was the last console I bought. Went strictly PC after that and have no regrets.
>>
>>101222614
Some people will say it's shit. I'll only say it was half shit; Sony pussying out by cramming a cheap GPU in the thing instead of using a second Cell for graphics was this console's death knell.
The things developers managed to do with SPUs was still really cool though. The actual Cell processor was in many ways a really cool piece of engineering, it just came at a time where developers weren't used to low level multi-core processing. They still aren't today.
>>
>>101222776
My only console is a SNES Classic.
>>
>>101222780
>They still aren't today.
Nor should they be. Managing your own threads is idiotic.
>>
>>101222614
IBM and Sonyggers recreating netburst with meme DSP features no one asked for.
>>
>>101222756
It had a good architecture with games that shit on everything else at the time. People just didn't bother because it was hard, filtered.
>>
>>101222614
>Why did the PS3 get so much hate?
A lot of complexity without much reward. Sure it could perform better than the competitors, but only if you put in a lot of work, and even then it was only marginally better.
It made game development, slower and more expensive than it needed to be.
>>
>>101223201
Better how? It was literally the PowerPC equivalent to the Netburst, which was a massive failure, just like Cell.
>>
>>101222776
for me it was a ps4 and a switch. i never used my seitch and i only played like 5 games on my ps4. i had more fun hacking them than playing (the actual readon i bought was just to hack)
>>
>>101222776
I have never purchased a console, my parents have :^)
>>
The "PS# has no games" started with 3
>>
>>101222614
Competition
>>
>>101223190
>Managing your own threads is idiotic.
So is brushing your teeth.
But you should do it nonetheless.
>>
>>101222614
>from what i understood the processor of the ps3 was so complex, that no game developer understood how to properly program games on it
That was the problem. It was too hard to develop for, and unlike the PS2 which justified that added complexity by being incredibly powerful when used properly, the PS3 was still weaker than the 360.
>>
>>101222614
>from what i understood the processor of the ps3 was so complex, that no game developer understood how to properly program games on it
Exactly this. Early games couldn't utilize it properly, so it got few games and whatever it did the 360 did better. But later in it's lifespan, devs got better at using the Cell chip and it ended up being the more powerful console.
>>
>>101223609
>the PS3 was still weaker than the 360
I recall the PS3 doing 1080 and looking better at least in later games, while the 360 was always stuck at 720.
>>
>>101222776
Not even the psp?
>>
>>101223664
>1080p

more like 640p upscaled to 1080p
>>
>>101222614
The Cell chip was too expensive (at least until later revisions got the cost down) and didn't give much benefit for games.
The original idea was to use the Cell SPEs to process shaders similar to how the PS2 used its CPU's vector units, but the PS3's GPU wound up in development hell and was replaced by a more conventional Nvidia GPU that couldn't make use of them as easily.
>>
>>101222614
PS3 was so complex that moved the whole market to AMD's APUs. So it was a win/win. Even Sony was having problems getting their catalogue to work on the PS5.

Meanwhile Nintendo looks to still be betting on Tegra even if the Steam Deck and its variants showed that AMD's is more than strong enough for mobile gaming. Then again Nintendo loves to obfuscate things as much as possible
>>
File: ps3 no games.jpg (71 KB, 600x750)
71 KB
71 KB JPG
>>
>>101223954
It wasn't complex, it was just badly designed. The xbox 360 did it better by only using powerpc cores, but instead of just one like the ps3 it had 3, plus had them hyperthreaded.
The move to x86 happened because PowerPC is dead.
>>
File: PS3AlsoPlaysGames.jpg (53 KB, 500x617)
53 KB
53 KB JPG
>newfags don't remember PS3 days
>>
>>101223202
I feel game programming as an art died with the PS3 and its failure. If you look at it objectively then it's not asking for things other game consoles hadn't before, just try building a system loop with set of instructions running in sync under a certain level of acceptable complexity, don't go beyond the capabilities of the console and optimize, optimize, optimize. Think about your game loops, event checks, rendering, sounds, updates as nothing more than data in and data out scaled appropriately to spec, with a target.
The PS3 shares a lot of the same "flaws" that once killed Sega with their Saturn, actually. But what was once managing 8 cores and 2 GPUs in the beginnings of 3D gaming now took the face of challenging HD development where the complexity of both computational and human resources were tasked to their limit, and predictably the industry (then teams of 10 people working closely to a system; now teams of 100, with data 100 times bigger, failing to do the same) threw its hands up in the air, bent over to Epic, decided to stop thinking so hard about anything more than haphazardly stitching assets and events together while making maximum concessions and compromises, and the rest is history.
>>
>>101223984
The SPUs served their purpose better than those 3 PowerPC cores glued together to melting point though.
>>
>>101223954
>So it was a win/win
I disagree. The best part about consoles was the neat hardware. Now they're just shitty PCs
>>
>>101222614
Expensive
Fat
>>
>>101222614
It was a needlessly overcomplicated piece of shif while nintendo and onedrive (then known as microsoft) took the path of least resistance.
>>
>>101224991
It had a purpose, it just came out at a bad time. GPGPU happened to become a thing around the same time
>>
>>101225061
no.
it was a drastic departure from what the ps2 and psp were.
once you get the devs hooked you don't just yank the carpet out from under them.
>>
>>101225088
I never said it was well supported.
>>
its like the worst of all worlds
costs like 2x what the previous gen cost
horrible to make games for and even studios who solely worked on ps3 needed years to get grips with the system. Only reason to consider buying it was the bd player.

In the other gaming places PC gaming was in a great place, you always had much more power than consoles and stuff like WoW was popular, steam was gainining steam. Xbox had the benefit of not being ps3.
>>
File: 1691943943561300.jpg (66 KB, 768x752)
66 KB
66 KB JPG
>>101222614
>bots still making posts on 20 year old articles
This is the worst board on the site.
>>
>>101224813
I disagree. Companiesare downright working to fuck game preservation so they can sell decade old games for almost the same price of new stuff. Having the same architecture should make at least the emulation development easier by not needing people to learn a whole new architecture that only works for a very niche tool.
>>
>>101222614
no programmer understands any of the consoles until today's gen because they're just PCs
>>
>>101228788
>>101228788
I don't care about emulation, devs, or games, I just want strange hardware to fuck around with once the consoles get hacked.
>>
>>101222614
POWER OF THE CELL BABY

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.