[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/g/ - Technology

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: file.png (80 KB, 1232x815)
80 KB
80 KB PNG
So, how is the anti RHEL fight going?
https://openela.org/
>>
>>101223554
>anti rhel fight
lmao
oracle == cia
>>
>>101223578
It's pretty dumb, when the RHEL drama was on, Rocky emerged with a super aggressive campaign, lots of retards thought Rocky was a community distro, but they're the same as Fedora, CiQ owns it and they're a for-profit, it was never about the community but different corporations trying to steal as many clients from RHEL as possible.
>>
>>101223605
thanks for the enlightenment.
didnt know how thiongs look from the financial side of things.
privacy-wise, its like i said.
oracle is cia.
>>
>>101223684
Well, if I have to correct something, Rocky is more like centOS instead, Fedora at least have some mechanisms to defend itself from Red Hat influence, even if they're funded by Red Hat. But pretty much it was never about defending open source, other corporations saw a good opportunity to punch the biggest player and steal cake from it while at it.
All of them would sell off to their governments.
>>
Use guix or devuan or suffer like everyone else.
>>
>>101223827
Have you deployed a guix or devuan server for production purposes?
>>
>>101223605
Rocky always had some shady stuff going on since inception. Looking at the news since the start of this fuck up, what got clear to me is that Alma Linux is the safest option.

Oracle as always IS the problem, many of the places I worked moved from RH to Oracle to reduce licensing costs. As expected you get the worst support ever.

Also, fuck Canonical. I wish Debian would start licensing so we could have a third option in the market-
>>
Everything I don’t like is CIA: a retard’s guide to tech.
>>
Where's Alma Linux?
>>
>>101223913
AlmaLinux is not 1:1 binary compatible, Rocky Linux is, works fine and if it's terms change, you can always easily migrate to another RHEL distro.
>>
Rhel, red fedora and ibm are gay.
>>
>>101225705
They're both binary compatible, except Rocky aims to be a 1:1 bug-for-bug clone of RHEL, while Alma is looking to rebase on CentOS Stream and fix bugs by themselves and add their own features. Even Rocky sometimes re-releases kernels, which breaks kmods built for RHEL's kernel. Long story short, save yourself the headaches and just use RHEL.
>>
>>101223913
I remember them having some shady ads on google when you search for Alma. Alma underestimated the importance of good logo and name.
Most fags just shilled Rocky cause it sounds cooler and and had modern looking website

>>101223684
>oracle is cia
and what is redhat?
>>
>>101225705
Alma is ABI compatible, meaning they can ship thing with fixes that RHEL hasn't done which seems to be a problem nowadays.
https://gitlab.com/redhat/centos-stream/rpms/iperf3/-/merge_requests/5

Also they suppory RH-unsupported hardware
https://www.phoronix.com/news/AlmaLinux-9.4-Released

The truth is that one could use CentOS Stream as if it was "stable", CERN is doing that. Rocky and Oracle just glow too much for my taste.
>>
>>101226404
>Long story short, save yourself the headaches and just use Debian.
FTFY
>>
>>101228766
you mean ubuntu since people target only ubuntu, RHEL, SUSE
>>
>>101228759
>one could use CentOS Stream as if it was "stable"
What would be the point in using a cucked, RHEL-incompatible beta testing enterprise distro, when you can use actual RHEL?

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.