[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/g/ - Technology

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1714816043011125.jpg (118 KB, 800x569)
118 KB
118 KB JPG
What do you use your useful pi to do? I'm using one to control RGB lights another for temp and I'll probably end up using it with a relay or a set of relays to control my lights.
>>
>>101223783
I don't get why people like the ESP32 so much. Most are terrible quality, and fail as fast as you'd expect a "dev" board that costs single digits would.

Anyways, I use my OrangePi Zero 2W to run three containers of octoprint. That just about puts all four of the H618 cores to 75-95% depending on the print, and uses ~95% of the memory, though I think I can lower that once the PHY in the mainline kernel is fixed, and I'm running gentoo stripped down, rather than chinese malware infested "debian".

On the more microcontroller end of things, I'm currently working on using an Adafruit Grand Central M4 Express (SAMD51) as a controller for an all leadscrew 3d printer, that uses bigboy, but not adult, stepper drivers, instead of TMC stepstick shit.
>>
>>101223783
I have a network dedicated to about 20 of them. i use them for various things like controlling my greenhouse, monitoring my ham tower, opening and closing my chicken coop door, turning on heat lamp and ventilation. alarms for my front door.
got about 30 of them from ali, some have failed but most are still working.
i can monitor a lot from my desk.
>>
>>101223891
oh they draw a shitload of current at times so don't expect to beef up power supplies
>>
>rgb lights
>>
File: 1696369482733994.jpg (109 KB, 750x500)
109 KB
109 KB JPG
>>101223891
Have you tried the esp-C3 mini? They are so small and nice. Under $3 and very nice pcb.
>>
>>101223783
All sorts of sensors with ESPhome
>>
>>101223928
The small boards like that tend to have very weak power regulators which cant power extra sensors
>>
>>101223951
I heard the larger ones feed the esp 5v or the sensors the wrong ones which is why I wanted to try these, since my sensors are all 3.3v or 1.8v, I'll keep that in mind, which are your favorite models?
>>101223915
My gf wanted them I think it's gay.
>>101223933
Have you tried the radar modules? They are so cool. Ld2410 didn't work for me idk why so I'll try ld2450
>>
File: file.png (995 KB, 865x626)
995 KB
995 KB PNG
>>101223783
mine seems to attract ants
>>
>>101225446
Oh and i have
>door sensor using a reed
in that pic
>air quality sensor connected to above
its always bad
>RGB strip in my window
i havent looked at in months(it still turns on per HA schedule)
>esp32 cam
home assistant creates a snapshot, and a video which sends both to my phone when my alarm is armed & the door is opened. my lamp speaker also has a qt say "no loitering" using a tts model i made off of a videogame character sent from HA
Once i have my own place i'll probably waste a lot of money spreading these around my house. Though some premade options seem to be getting better.
>>101223891
based
>>
>>101223866
>I don't get why people like the ESP32 so much
bluetooth, wi-fi and decent SDK.
It's also way cheaper than any other MCU with ble and sometimes cheaper than other MCUs with no wireless at all.
Cons are mostly the size and power consumption.
>>
I use ESP32 for most of my trinkets, because it's so versatile and cheap. The most successful one is probably this PWM fan controller that I use to cool my rack based on temperature, with some MQTT reporting of temps and RPM. It's very simple, but has been sitting at the back of my rack for 3+ years already, running without incident or error. Didn't even bother soldering - it's all still sticking on the breadboard.
>>
can you use a esp32 with a cr2032? I want to replace some temp sensor which I read daily manually.
>>
>>101227360
You need a regulator that boosts the battery voltage to 3.3V, read up on deep sleep, reduce the clock rate, and use radio capabilities as rarely as possible to get some life out of that battery. You could also read up on ESP-NOW, which is a link-level wireless protocol to send small packets without actually connecting to a network, which saves a lot of power. If you insist on WiFi, you could still save some power with a static IP address, so you don't have to use DHCP on every wakeup.
>>
>>101223903
User error
>>
>>101223783
it's collecting dust in my drawer like a fucking champ.
>>
>>101223783
Edging. I use mine to read a pressure sensor connected to a cock ring made of silicone tubing wrapped around my dick. The ESP32 reads the pressure and shuts off a bluetooth vibrator on my dick when I the pressure is too high or my dick's been throbbing too much. This enables me to stay roughly on edge for hours. The finish is quite strong and the afterglow so extreme that the post-fap clarity I get lasts for days. I seem to concentrate better at work in those days following a good session too. Still not very repeatable, as the edging algorithm needs some work
>>
>>101228871
Heh, made me kek, Anon.
I have a 'Blue Pill' lying around, that I haven't touched in eight years.
I still only need the Arduino (or, rather, AVR/8-bit) to get by.
>>
>>101223866
>and fail as fast as you'd expect
skill issue, it has a watchdog you know?
>>
>>101229598
You sure dont need wifi but you don't want it either? Hmm
>>
>>101224013
>I heard the larger ones feed the esp 5v or the sensors the wrong ones which is why I wanted to try these
nah, the ESP is native 3.3V. The larger ones have both 3.3V and 5V pins but thats it. The ESP32-WROOM-32 and clones are probably the best, other ones are also neat but avoid the mini ones
>>101224013
>Have you tried the radar modules? They are so cool. Ld2410 didn't work for me idk why so I'll try ld2450
Might be a fake module, if it originally cost a lot. The cheap GPS ones for example are fakes which dont work at all
>>
>>101230459
That's the point. It's supposed to be 3.3v but I saw a video where the esp was bad, the guy switched the voltage regulator from ams1117 since the multimeter showed it was being given a higher voltage and it fixed the issue with the sensors and wifi I think the good one is Ht7333
>>
>>101226522
What else have you made?
>>
>>101223783
Vendors would give me Pi's and I would just give them to my coworkers. I never found a use for them. Most things people do with them I just use a toggle switch, or simple light sensor, or temperature sensor. Those are a fraction of the cost and significantly more reliable.
>>
>>101223866
Because it's cheap af, has Bluetooth and wifi, works with the arduino ide and has a big community behind it.
>Anyways, I use my OrangePi Zero 2W to run three containers of octoprint. That just about puts all four of the H618 cores to 75-95% depending on the print, and uses ~95% of the memory, though I think I can lower that once the PHY in the mainline kernel is fixed, and I'm running gentoo stripped down, rather than chinese malware infested "debian".
I have no fucking idea what any of that means. All I know is that any Pi product is bloated overkill for 99% of all projects. I swear that they're only propped up by high schools making bulk orders for compsci class.
>>
>>101223866
Its cheap as shit, has ton of wireless options, is fairly preformant, and has a huge development ecosystem, AND is compatible with Arduino libraries.
The OrangePi Zero has nothing on it other then a faster CPU
>>
>>101223866
Why did you buy adafruit anything?
>>
>>101225504
What’s the resolution of the camera recording? And what is the maximum amount of recording it can capture at any given time?
>>
I wish there was a nonshit IP based radio standard that wasn't full retard or patented.
>>
I run gemini server on PI 1.
>>
>>101236652
Do you know of any other source of a SAMD51 microcontroller in a Arduino Due/Mega form factor, or at least with >60 actual GPIO pins, not "expanders" that fuck with latency and never work properly with Marlin?

They are overpriced, but they sell quality products.
>>
>>101234532
>I have no idea what that means, but I somehow still have an opinion
>also my opinion is retarded
>>
File: file.png (270 KB, 800x600)
270 KB
270 KB PNG
>>101237710
It's basically a shitty IP cam. I haven't looking into it much, just got it working.
Recording etc. is done on Home Assistant. Which limits shell commands to 60s, so recordings are only like 8s until i figure out how to use ffmpeg better or something.
The white LED flickers a bit as well.
I recall having to tinker with the quality because it would overheat or some shit. Perhaps manufacturing quality issue idk.
I think the camera is an OV2640.
  resolution: 800x600
jpeg_quality: 10 # max. 63
max_framerate: 1.0fps
idle_framerate: 0.2fps
>>
I got a milk v duo in the mail, it can run Linux pretty decently and has an Ethernet port so I'm thinking of making a reverse ssh tunnel board.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.