[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/g/ - Technology

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: file.png (1.96 MB, 2000x1125)
1.96 MB
1.96 MB PNG
Our good old reliable TV just died peacefully after 15 years of hard work. I'm looking for a good replacement, about 43".

Which brands make decent TVs? Should I go OLED/QLED? Is it possible to block software updates with a pi-hole or should I just not connect it to the internet at all and get a tv box?

The biggest use case is going to be running stremio on it, which is available on Samsung and Google TV
>>
>>101226850
All new smart TVs are heavily subsidized by ads or user profiling, so: yes, never connect it to your wifi. Or, if you absolutely, positively have to, create a mobile hotspot with your phone and change the password after. Get a TV box. Don't get a FireTV stick, their performance is dogshit.
>>
>>101226850
Oleds are expected to only last 3yrs on average, people are complaining of burn in in mere months. If you want another decade TV, stick with non OLED, LED backlits, also as little smart functions as possible. Roku and shit literally change your TV's functions and brick things.
>>
>>101226850
Put up a painting instead
>>
>>101227269
how about qled? are those just a shitty marketing scheme or is there a difference when it comes to burn-in?
>>
>>101227096
any ideas of a TV box that werks but isn't an ad ridden piece of shit like the FireTV or whatever? Considering installing androidTV to a raspi and getting a bluetooth remote or something
>>101227269
I'm in the EU, luckily we don't even have roku here (I think)
>>
>>101226850
>reliable
>died
now you can only pick one and only one, faggot.
>>
>>101226850
Only 43" Now's the time to size up if you can. Bright room? No OLEDs. Trust me. Even the G4.

>>101227705
I like the new Bravia 9's if your budget isn't too limited. If you just want something. I was looking at the Sony X93L, then the Bravia 7 came out but the reviews sucked. Bravia 9 looks pretty amazing.

>>101227096
Using one of those Firewalla boxes or something that adblocks and then connecting via USB to ethernet is worth it.
>>
>>101229061
I'm leaning towards 43"-50" max because the couch is only 2m away from the TV, it's not a huge living room, our old TV was 32" and you could see almost anything well enough (though I had trouble reading text sometimes)

I love Sony TVs, but I'm afraid my budget is a bit limited so I won't be able to get one of the fancy Bravia 9s.

From what you're saying though, it sounds like QLEDs are better than OLEDs for bright rooms and reliability? noted.
>>
>>101229457
Get a Bravia 7 then. They're pretty affordable at the 55" tier. TCLs are decent but i'd stay away from Hisense.
>>
>>101228311
Nvidia shield with plex, a custom launcher (like ATV launcher) and smarttube will remove 99% of ads from your life
>>
>>101227096
My C1 still going strong
>>
>>101227705
Qled is just a brand name for VA, nothing special as far as I remember. Not sure what your needs are but you can get a 60hz oled like the LG a or b series with a burn in warranty for not too much money.
>>
>>101230241
>i'd stay away from Hisense.
Why is that, shit build quality that brakes a few days after the warranty expires or is it a laggy potato that crashes on the TV app?
>>
>>101227096
meds, now
>>
File: Hisense-Logo.png (143 KB, 1920x1080)
143 KB
143 KB PNG
>makes great affordable tvs
>single handedly keeping the sovless technology OLED at bay
Why does Hisense make reddit seethe bros
>>
>>101236104
>bulk buy 5+ year old panels nobody wants anymore
>add 30 cents of malaysian plastic
>sell to gorilloids that are satisfied with old tech
>become a major player doing this
truly a great service to humanity. hisense deserves federal recycling credits for keeping ewaste out of landfills
>>
i love my big ass plasma panasonic viera and when it takes a shit i will kill myself
>>
>>101231495
the q is for quantum dots
>>
>>101236842
What's that extra q for?
>>
>>101234159
Bought a 65” Hisense qled and it’s been pretty nice for casual use. Look pretty great and sounds nice coming from a 2018ish era Sony. Physical built quality seems just ok, viewed up close panel gaps and flimsy stock stand legs being the two things that jump out. Not sure how bad the software is as a shield is hooked up to it
>>
>>101226850
Considering the amount of hours you spend on your tv, any dollar you invest here is probably the best money you will ever spend in your life. Always go flagship, every time.

Right now I recommend MiniLED technology as it has lots of advantages. You will never get the brightness or contrast of OLED but has a lot of advantages over OLED.

Go to avsforums and research there. This is a.community of middle age dada who are the biggest jews with their money and nit pick shit to death. Dont listen to the schizo poorfags who reside here; including me.

If it were me I would get the latest flagship sony miniled tv in the size you want.
>>
>>101226850
Just get a giant monitor and connect a TV box.
>>
>>101227705
QLED is just a different name for LCD, since they are LCD TVs they do not burn in. QLED refers to the type of backlight it has but it's still LCD.
>>
>>101237964
>brightness [...] of OLED
Doesn't OLED routinely get raped up the ass by any LCD-based TV in terms of brightness? OLED cannot go bright because the pixels commit suicide way quicker. They can't even display full-screen bright images.
>>
>>101237994
What's the biggest monitor you can get that isn't some chinkshit brand or something?
>>
>>101237964
to be fair, I don't spend much time in front of it, I'd just like to watch a few movies there sometimes, and my parents will probably watch the news or some pirated shows, that's all.
I'm not gonna go flagship because it's out of my budget, I don't *need* it, and it's for my parents' house
>>
>>101228311
I have an Google TV box called "LEAP-S3", performance isn't bad for the price.
Google TV has an "Apps Only Mode" which hides all the recommendation shit and acts as a simple launcher - exactly what I was looking for, since I only use the box to launch Kodi. The remote doesn't have dedicated play/pause buttons tho, so you might wanna pick something else.
>>
>>101226850

I picked a LG CX because it had webOS instead of Android. The OLED panel is fantastic, but I wish I had a way to turn it off without going into TV menus. The TV can do it in theory but the software is too shit to allow it.

There really isn’t a good TV box out there. I use an Apple TV but it shows a shit ton of YouTube ads I can’t get around. A used Mac Mini would probably have been better honestly.
>>
>>101226850

you can set up a raspberry pi as an adblocker and route your router through it btw, costs less than $200 to set up. comed disassembled but screws together, a tween could do it. fan is loud though :(

i bought onr but my family won't let me set it up because they don't want to deal with shit being broken by ublock. they just deal with ads after i bought them lifetime adguard lmao.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.