[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/g/ - Technology

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: veilid.png (78 KB, 1200x675)
78 KB
78 KB PNG
>all-in-one solution for anonymizing traffic & serverless hosting, akin to i2p/tor + ipfs/dht
>faster throughput and more stable connectivity, can handle mobile usecases with frequently changing access points/networks
>no need for setup by the end user, can be directly integrated within applications and websites

wouldn't this solve all problems the modern web has?
anonymity by default, no need for servers for handling traffic and hosting data and no finicky setup to use it.

seems promising
>>
the logo is ugly so i don't care.
>>
File: g.png (62 KB, 1200x800)
62 KB
62 KB PNG
>>101232786
>enter
>>
>>101232752
I was under the impression that I2P already solved this changing access point problem by anonymously identifying peers
I2Pd is lightweight enough to where I don't suppose embedding it would pose any problem
It also appears to be a mixed approach to which users are nodes which isn't absolutist enough for my paranoia. If you're going to use the network you'll have to contribute.
>>
>>101232786
the uglier the logo, the more quality the software.
>>
>>101232935
DOT CX
>>
>>101232948
from my understanding, every user is a node, and there's no entry/relay/exit node distinction, all nodes are equal, which makes it more similar to i2p than tor.

The differences seem to be that you can also host a node to help out the network if you wish, instead of the quid-pro-quo traffic-ratio solution of i2p. so you get the i2p-style peer-to-peer traffic distribution, but can also run nodes like tor.
also supposedly, it handles frequent connection changes a lot better than tor or i2p, say if you switch from wifi to mobile data on your phone, or if you enter a tunnel while driving, also it's fast.

the biggest difference though is that it comes with a dht-style storage solution, meaning you don't need any servers for hosting data or relaying traffic.

imagine the possibilities, everything you can do on the web now, you could do serverless..
>>
>>101233015
>weeaboo branding or mascot
>ugly logo
>furry profile pic

yep, then you know it's the real good shit
>>
Is it battle tested?
>>
File: veilidtopology.jpg (90 KB, 1280x720)
90 KB
90 KB JPG
>>101233221
pretty new, but uses the same onion routing principles as tor and i2p.
each user is a node, and you can run dedicated nodes, but there's no entry/relay/exit distinction.

there's a working chat application out already called VeilidChat, so it's taking shape.
>>
looks pretty cool
remind me to take a look in a few years
>>
>>101233664
will do
>>
>>101233173
>>101233335
> tries to shill it this hard
> b.but it's like i2p and tor, guys!
> is nothing like it
> highly questionable security
after spending last hour reading the source code, it's quite alarming how anyone would have the testicles to claim it's secure. not sure if using rust is going to help them when the software is written so poorly to begin with. would not use, especially when: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peiter_Zatko are involved in this mess. (a former corporate and government prostitute). shit glows, glownigger.
>>
>>101238595
no he doesn't.
t. sat in discord for 2 years
>>
>>101233173
What's wrong with the traffic ratio mechanism of I2P? I don't quite believe tor got compromised for now or anything but it's certainly possible and that's a threat to the net's existance
I can believe the frequent connection switching thing but I2P already provides the client with an identifier for the connection so this is probably exploited when switching access points as I've never had an issue reading over I2P over mobile and my transit never reset when driving. IP are not identifying of your gateway.
I'm not familiar with bittorrent but doesn't that only store just a few addresses, a swarmfull of IPs. Had this been adopted more commonly this smells a lot like a blockchain and I don't wanna go there.
>>
>>101232752
You dont need anonymity
>>
>>101233335
>each user is a node
Yeah just what I want, software promising me anonymous browsing while other users p2p and anal gape traffic goes through to my ISP
>>
how is this better than i2p?
>>
>>101239935
New good old bad
>>
>>101233173
>the biggest difference though is that it comes with a dht-style storage solution, meaning you don't need any servers for hosting data or relaying traffic.
just run botnet goy™ then you will have "free" hosting
>>
It’s hilarious how hard cDc has been trying to shill this and no one cares. In fact the female member (can’t remember her name) is a literal OF whore and was blasted for shilling this alongside her communist beliefs while, like a good capitalist skank, selling her jugs on OF.
>>
>>101238738
> sat in the discord for two years
even worse than i imagined.
> no he doesn't.
he's still a member of cult of the low iq lolcows.
>>
>>101233664
You don't have a few years. They'll shutdown the internet in the next year, using the solar flare as an excuse, so ppl don't see all the drafting of the soon to be cannon fodder.
>>
>>101241612
>It’s hilarious how hard cDc has been trying to shill this and no one cares
they're several years too late and i don't think anybody has properly audited the security or verified any of their wild claims. their websites are practically devoid of any useful information.
>>
>>101242611
two more weeks, computer illiterate schizo.
>>
>>101241612
odd hill to die on for the cdc
>>
>>101242632
There's nothing iliterate about what I said. They control the infrastructure, they can flip the switch whenever they want and the public will believe whatever the excuse will be.
>>
>>101238595
>seeing merit in new technology glows

I'll admit i'm not very technically versed, but obviously there is a need for something like a userfriendly tor/i2p that includes serverless storage, and I don't see a single other project that aims to do this.

The demand for something like it is there, and to me it seems that they take the security aspect seriously, so i have good hopes for it.
It's early days still, but the potential seems immense.

Can you imagine?
Serverless wikis, serverless youtube, serverless git forges, serverless social networks, and all of it anonymous.
Tor/i2p isn't enough for that.

>>101239406
it doesn't use blockchain at all.

>>101239935
i2p doesn't include storage, and integrating it directly within applications isn't straightforward.
A truly anonymous internet needs not just anonymous connectivity, but also decentralized anonymous storage.

>>101241385
it's open source, so you can verify what it does.
>>
>>101243852
yes anon I know, all DHTs are botnets get over it already.
>>
it's made in rust so it must be more secure than tor
>>
>>101244445
they're rewriting tor in rust too
>>
>>101243852
Okay it's not blockchain based so that's great news but why reinvent the wheel? Freenet/hyphanet already accomplishes anonymous distributed information stores even if it's currently somewhat dead due to community issues. I can believe that it's faster because freenet is famously slow but some quantifiers would be needed, how fast is it. For reference it'd be a lucky day for you to hit 200 kbps average on freenet.
>>
>>101242612

No one is going to take the “de-capitalization of social media” seriously as long as this whore is selling nudes. If her ideology wasn’t off putting enough, she had a repugnant personality on top of it.
>>
>>101245602
If every app using veilid is a node, we're talking millions of nodes quicker than you might think once some apps start using it. I assume this would translate to some serious speed.
For now, there's a working chat app out, so it's hard to say what the max speed is now.
>>
File: ebassi-headshot.jpg (172 KB, 800x1012)
172 KB
172 KB JPG
>>101239624
>>101239935
>>101245602
Where is it?
The usecase i mean.
#closed #wontfix

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.