[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/g/ - Technology

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: WatGura.png (260 KB, 913x942)
260 KB
260 KB PNG
What books would you recommend to learn more about cache locality, branch prediction, and other optimizations that'll help me understand performance at a low level?

I'm looking for books on performance for concurrency/parallelism or low level networking too.
>>
>>101235044
bump for interest
>>
>>101235321
Fuck off, OP posted a vtumor. He made his bed so now he should be forced to lie in it.
>>
>>101235373
ah
im so far removed from normalspace i didnt even recognize
i guess herbs then
>>
>>101235044
literally think for one second on your own, if you get caught in the trap of having to read a book for everything you are never going to move forwards
I made so many assumptions you have no idea, did many of them turn out to be wrong? yeah, did i feel humiliateed? yes, learning to program is literally a humiliation ritual. Was i right other times? yes, and it saved me from making retarded threads and spending weeks and weeks procrastinating on some shitty pdf.
>>
>>101235425
if you dont know where to start its a mountain to climb.
>>101235044
i heard this guy is da bomb
https://www.agner.org/optimize/#manuals
but like the other anon said i procrastinate on starting reading
also i learned in an unstructured way so i know a good portion of that already which demotivates me even more
but yeah, that might be a starting point

you can learn opencl or cuda too.
i learned opencl.
having to manage memory locality manually was an eye-opener for me.
and the whole semi-asynchronous execution model is a good mental exercise too
>>
>>101235425
I'm working on low latency systems that aren't easy to experiment with. I find books give me a nice overview of subject areas which I can dig into deeper as needed.
>>101235500
I'm not a fan of straight up reading books either. I get my motivation from thinking about how I can apply what I learned to a project.
>>
>>101235044
Software Developer Manual of your target CPU architecture, if you care about cutting edge.
University course materials are always 10 years behind and textbooks are 20 years behind.
>>
>>101235500
i read programming from the ground up, realized i wasted my time, reverse engineered how an entire kernel works by thinking and then lurked more to hear and learn about optimizations in processors.
I guess its 2024...
>>
>>101235557
this.
>>
>>101235373
>knowing vtumors by heart and instantly recognizing them
sir, I'm going to need you to go back...
>>
>>101235555
>how I can apply what I learned to a project.
apparently its the best method of learning.
bootcamps, paying sites, even teachers in the classical curriculum apply this method. or try to.

>>101235704
based.
with practice, i learned bits here and there until an image emerged, then clarified with time
its a mental model that works at my decently advanced level
but i know theres stuff i dont know
i will have to read the book at some point to make sure i have no holes in my knowledge anymore + learn the proper wording

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.