[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/g/ - Technology

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1710193525882557.gif (722 KB, 280x290)
722 KB
722 KB GIF
>Forgetting syntax or details or the inner workings of the protocol while coding
>Last time I worked with that subject was half year ago and I can't find my notes

How do I improve my memory?
Besides becoming a frontend dev and googling my issues?
>>
Better sleep schedule and diet. Regular physical activity.
There are also drugs like intranasal noopept and cerebrolysin, but they only improve neuroplasticity, the rest is up to you.

Regular repetition and use is required for consistent long term memory.
>>
>>101240317
>Regular repetition and use is required for consistent long term memory
At work I genuinely hope that some subjects are only one time subjects, considering how niche they are. It's hard to reproduce or repeat some of these issues or topics.
>>
>>101239946
i call it "manual shit", you dont need to remember bit 7 of smallpages is PAT and ot is 12 for 2mb and 1gb because, you can just look at the fucking image with the bitfields
And if you remember it it will only be after you are done implementing because can you imagine remembering that nonsense? this is not 12th grade.
>>
>>101239946
you dont want to keep irrelavant info in your brain.
forgetting is actually an optimization technique

its like with a cpu cache.
pages for data, pages for instructions, these are loaded into the cpu.
if you saturatre your cpu with data your performance tanks bc you dont have much room left for instructions

with the brain its the same.
if you turn yourself into a manpage, you wont have much room left for problem solving.
and thats where forgetting intervenes: its a mechanism that automatically erases data deemed irrelevant in order not to saturate your brain with useless trash like the color of the toothpaste you used two months ago.
and two months - day ago
etc... you know where im getting with that

if you absolutely insist on changing the threshold of forgettability, you want to re-activate the memories you want to keep.
like re-read your notes everytime you start forgetting their content
do this enough times and your brain will change the way it deal with memories.
>>
>>101240745
>>101240934
So how normal is it to forget these things?

And how to deal with forgetting them if it's super niche or on a level where SO, google, or even chatgpt won't help? I don't want to keep 200+ pages of handwritten notes.
>>
>>101241028
>I don't want to keep 200+ pages of handwritten notes.
you keep 200+ pages of handwritten notes.
or you train your memory like the people that go to the tv shows
but your problem solving abilities take a hit

thats why you were (should have been) taught to always keep the artifacts of your programming.
we forget. and sometimes we forget original solutions we will never be able to recover without notes.
>>
>>101241097
>we forget. and sometimes we forget original solutions we will never be able to recover without notes.
but also because using paper allows you to offload data from your brain, enhancing your problem solving capabilities.
thats why we're supposed to build our programs on paper first

the classical method became a classic for a reason
>>
>>101241028
oh, and forgetting is completely normal
autists dont forget anything but thats because their brains are broken.
and, as stated above, it shows in their problem solving.
they have absolutely 0 fleexibility of thought and have a big problem with working in high level abstractions of ideas.
thats why theyre obssessed with learning "depth first". one concept at a time, down to the fucking bedrock
>>
>>101239946
artificially augment your memory with a 40'285 lines lone cheatsheet an counting
>>
Where does the claim that memory impairs problem solving comes from? That's a new thing to me, but also here memorization is valued.
>>
>>101239946
idgi, are you taking a test or something?
>>
>>101243972
Literally my work. Half of the issues I get are niche topics that take half month because they are literally combinations of networking, sun rays hitting router at the right time for planets align and all I do is to hope that they will never ever come up again because I will never ever have a chance to use that knowledge again.

I wish it'd be just exams. Need to take cert soon and I just don't have memory because I needed to memorize protocol for some ancient abandoned Linux app from 00's. The type that has "protocols" to do anything rather than simply parameters or even configs, and seems to be abandoned somewhere in 2002.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.