[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/g/ - Technology

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

decided i'd try my hand at making a 3d game for once, i just want to know why?

why does every 3d game engine have this annoying ass block builder gui bullshit?
i selected c++, not blueprint in unreal and yet im still forced to use it.
i tried godot too and this is one of the reasons i really didnt like godot (the node tree bs pissed me off.)

i just dont get it.
why the FUCK am i FORCED to play a game of wheres waldo every time i want to do fucking anything in these 3d game engines, im almost tempted me make my own but i wont cuz i know that will take way too much time and effort just for a silly little shovelware slop game i wont even publish.

do normalfags really program like this? do they unironically do shit like this? i mean come on theres no fucking way right. why the hell even bother with finding some block buried in a menu thats buried in another menu just to set a value to 0?
who the hell thought this was easier than just typing 'thing=0??'
>>
Not sure what you mean by you're forced to use it. I've never used unreal but I'm pretty sure there is a C++ api with all the same functionality as the nodes.

You could always try a different engine. In my experience nodes are the exception, not the norm.
>>
>>101241282
>why the FUCK am i FORCED to play a game of wheres waldo every time i want to do fucking anything in these 3d game engines
Because user-friendly game development requires non-child minded people without autism to be involved in the process, but getting them involved is also difficult because trannies are dramatic emotional trainwrecks that are damn near impossible to communicate with coherently and they're the ones doing the development of these engines.
>>
>>101241282
Engines don't assume what kind of game you're making so they include everything. General purpose 3d engines are a bad way to learn to make games, in my opinion. They're for people who know what tools they need and what tools to ignore
>>
>>101241305
>Not sure what you mean by you're forced to use it

the screenshot posted is of me editing a material. im required to use the blueprint stuff just to change the mip value to 0 and define a texture.
>>
>>101241331
In that case yeah I agree with you, for some reason shaders / materials tend to get relegated to nodes in a lot of modern software. I don't get it.
>>
>>101241282
source engine is still good to work with.

source 2 needs to go public. I'd pay $10k for a license to mod source2
>>
>>101241319
i have a general idea of what tools i need, since i usually make 2d games in c++ and once wrote a very basic 3d renderer.

i just really hate having to browse a menu to find the thing i need off buried in who knows where. the search function barely even works half the time.
>>
>>101241282
>why does every 3d game engine have this annoying ass block builder gui bullshit?
Uhhh Unity doesn't?
I mean it does technically but it's shit and nobody uses it.
>>
Node trees haven't been in Godot since like 2020
>>
>>101241282
Video editors are doing this too now
>>
File: 1231314512.png (284 KB, 820x820)
284 KB
284 KB PNG
>>101241331
boohoo. the stuff you listed takes like a minute to do, even if the ui is clunky. if you want to be that anal about it, program your own shader and tweak everything to your liking via code. if nodes are that big of a problem to you then you might as well uninstall now and stop wasting your time cause you're not gonna make it. grow a pair and stop whining, bitch.
>>
>>101241282
good luck setting everything manually.
The tools exist to make it easier, so you just need to get familiar with it
>>
>>101241282
>why the hell even bother with finding some block buried in a menu thats buried in another menu just to set a value to 0?
>who the hell thought this was easier than just typing 'thing=0??'
I agree that it's cancer, but you clearly have a search box there. You can just type "thing" and it will show up. This already makes it better than 99% of guis including the big ones that people actually use, like exc*l, ph*toshop, g*mp, ...
>who the hell thought this was easier than just typing 'thing=0??'
How do you know that you have to type "thing" and not "Thing" or some synonym? Code has many advantages over gui, but discoverability is not one of them.
With code, you have to rely on the documentation. And in many cases the documentation is not easy to search efficiently, incomplete, or just low quality, and it leaves you in a worse place than with your pic.
>>
>>101242197
>How do you know that you have to type "thing" and not "Thing" or some synonym? Code has many advantages over gui, but discoverability is not one of them.
It's called an IDE
>>
>>101241282
People don't want to learn because they're retarded and lazy so software has ended up catering to people who want to be able to intuit how to do something as much as possible to the detriment of the workflow of professionals.
>>
>>101241331
You're looking for Slate in the Unreal C++ API. There might be a successor, but I definitely remember Slate and a lot of frustration.
>>
>>101242805
nah, you're reaching far here
>>
>>101243973
I'm in my god damn 40s I would've blown my back out if I was reaching. The only ones with blown out backs here are the FAGGOTS getting fucked in the ass who cry if they have to use a CLI or TUI.
>>
>>101244391
are those faggots in the room with you right now?
>>
>>101244607
Yes. They won't get the fuck off my dick.
>>
>>101241282
This is a material/shader editor, not game code. Most 3D editors have something that looks like this. You need to onboard a 3D artist if you get confused by this and refuse to use this UI.
>>
>>101241436
>I mean it does technically but it's shit and nobody uses it.
That's every single feature in Unity
>>
This isn't exclusive to game engines, it's how almost all material editors work. It's just node visualization.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.