[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/g/ - Technology

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1713766872487669.png (76 KB, 647x919)
76 KB
76 KB PNG
>Brother gets me a new monitor for Christmas
>Some Omen model, dunno
>Everything goes fine for about six months
>Turn my PC on this morning to check emails before work
>Everything is running horrifically slow
>Check processes
>"HP.OMEN.OMENInstallMonitor" has mas reproduced and has taken up ALL available RAM and CPU
>There's hundreds of processes
>Can't mass terminate them
>Can't individually terminate them
>Trying to look up solutions causes my browser to crash
>Using anything causes it to crash
>Restarting the PC does nothing, the process just mass-duplicates when I power it back on
>Decide to start up the Omen Gaming Monitor exe I ever use, hoping to somehow force a crash or update or something
>PC starts running even worse, program windows flickering
>Eventually my PC crashes and all the CPU hogging processes die
>RAM hoggers still alive
>Try looking up solutions
>PC crashes again and logs me out
>Log back in
>All the RAM hoggers have died too
I love Hewlett-Packard. I love technology. What the fuck was that?
>>
install gentoo
>>
>>101247126
>What the fuck was that?

It was a bad omen
>>
>>101247146
No shit, it seems to have corrupted or deleted my graphics drivers, too.
>>
>>101247126
You are low on RAM. Install more RAM.
>>
>>101247126
Why did you install that shitty HP software that came with the monitor?
Monitors are plug and play. That is connect the monitor to graphics card using hdmi or dp cable and it will work. There is no need to install manufacturer specific software.
>>
>>101247328
I don't even remember installing it, I feel like it installed itself when I plugged the monitor in. I never install shit like this willingly.
>>
>>101247328
>Monitors are plug and play
Not anymore grandpa, you're missing out on 900 config options without its drivers and control panel.
Just because you're stuck in 2008 doesnt mean everyone should be.
>>
>>101247514
just because youre too retarded to use a VM for that doesnt mean everyone is
also, you have zero financial responsibility if you buy a monitor that needs extra software to be configured, unless maybe its 10,000$+ studio equipment.
but OP was already retarded for buying HP anyway.
>>
>>101247767
>but OP was already retarded for buying HP anyway.
This is true, but my brother bought it for me on clearance. My old monitor was a really old one that was just PnP and had no weird software associated with it.
>>
>>101247126
Windows automatically downloads and installs these launchers (bloatware) through windows update service. In group policy, enable "Do not include drivers with Windows Update".
>>
>>101248869
Jesus, I'm glad I use linux and can't afford a monitor
>>
>>101247432
>I don't even remember installing it, I feel like it installed itself when I plugged the monitor in.
In the Windows update interface, there's a checkbox to automatically install third party software.
Turn that off, reboot, and remove all the AIDS that was automatically installed in the list in this same interface.
I haven't used windows in 10 years but I imagine it's the same.
>>
>>101248869
>>101249144
Yeah, I'll probably do this. Thanks. I didn't actually really come for tech support, just wanted to show guys something funny that happened, but this is helpful.
>>
>>101249161
>just wanted to show guys something funny that happened
Where is it..?
>>
>>101249228
A process duplicating itself like 100 times and causing the entire computer to crash before shitting itself so badly that it corrupts video drivers isn't kinda wacky/funny?
>>
>>101249242
Not unless you figure out the reason and fix it yourself.
At this point it's just a sad display.

"My car caught on fire"
vs
"My car caught on fire and I had to use water from the ditch to put it out"
>>
>>101249287
>sad display.
No, it was an OMEN display, I mentioned that in the OP.
>>
>>101249294
kek'd

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.