[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/g/ - Technology

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: FRQst62XwAAMIO2.jpg (190 KB, 1585x892)
190 KB
190 KB JPG
I was reminded today that the Windows XP code leaked like 4 years ago.

I was curious if any community has sprung up around building and/or modding that leaked codebase?

Or would that be illegal? Is the only realistic avenue for this sort of thing to instead contribute to the ReactOS project?
>>
>>101435319
Contributing to the ReactOS project after having read the leaked source code is illegal too.
Best option you have of making a community around the Windows XP leak is making a circle around it and jerking off together.
>>
>DURR WHERES THE COMMUNITY FOR THE 25 YEAR OLD RETRO OS LEAK
what's the usecase
>>
>>101435319
This would require a lot of money and efford. Obsessed NEETs who still autistically hold on to windows XP have neither. And yes, it would technically be illegal, since this code is still property of MS.
>>
>>101435319
they're using windows 7 instead.
>captcha goyxr
>>
share torrent for the code
>>
>>101435319
cant fix whats not broken. seriously what do you want on the os side? more security updates? requires lots of man hours pen testing. problem is software support and anything important enough and open source has been made available
>>
it is not old enough for retrocomputing fans to tinker with yet. give it 10 more years
>>
>>101435319
still illegal until the copyright for it expires in the year ~2100

captcha was V2DNSO
>>
File: really.jpg (70 KB, 474x424)
70 KB
70 KB JPG
>shitty outdated source-available (not open source) proprietard abandonware
>WHY ARENT YOU EXITED!!!! FISH ON LE DESKTOP
>>
File: 1637677476269.gif (2.01 MB, 320x240)
2.01 MB
2.01 MB GIF
>>101435319
Hello Bill, nobody is using your intentionally leaked code for their Free and Open Source Software so kindly fuck off now.
>>
not really that much you can do with 20 year old OS code if you don't have a dev team paid to work on it (or one dedicated autist like the nt4 wii guy)
probably the best thing to come from it were the leaked theme signing keys so uxtheme patching isn't needed for XP now
>>
>>101435319
I saw some poojeet codemancer working on expanding kernel of Win XP but I don't remember name of the project and lol pojeets.
And to be frank - Win XP has multiple working web browsers, automated update and driver stuffs and everything else works same as it worked years ago.
Unless you want lol modern gaming (that will NEVER work on XP and you know it well faggot), Windows XP already can do everything.
>>
>>101435319
Some guys are creating a project to make latest chrome and dxd9ex games run. Don't remember the name.
I downloaded the integral edition and the project was listed in the readme file.
>>
>>101435319
>Or would that be illegal
Its never illegal to fuck over corporations because fuck FAGMAN, we're special

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.