[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/g/ - Technology

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1721488968569739.png (246 KB, 680x683)
246 KB
246 KB PNG
Give it to me straight, GPU passthrough or try proton and wine?
>>
install windows on another partition and boot it when you want to play videogames
>>
>>101526516
/thread
based and gamer-pilled
>>
>>101526507
Proton works really well
>>
Proton is made specifically by Valve for gaming and is seamless idk why /g/ thinks it's so complicated.
>>
>>101526516
I'm just going to install most things twice then because I'm not going to keep rebooting.
>>
>>101526559
Use only windows then, a hobby os break fucking once a week if someone sneeze on madagascar
>>
>>101526516
unfortunately the only real solution if you want high fps or to play competitive games with low latency

for single player it do not matter

>>101526543
This guy is a liar. Sure it launches games but is considerablely more unstable and also suffers from micro-stutters (Vulkan shader translating in real time)
>>
>>101526573
>Sure it launches games but is considerablely more unstable and also suffers from micro-stutters
Works for me. I'm pretty sure there's an option to disable Vulkan shader translation.
>>
>>101526507
Proton works fine
>>
>>101526559
Hardware is so fast today the difference between rebooting into Windows and launching a VM is negligible.
>>
>>101526516
Have fun Windows bricking your Linux partition on every other update
>>
>>101526516
this but only on two separate drives and only for Destiny 2 and Fortnite (both run perfectly fine but are blocked from multiplayer from developers)
>>
>>101526516
dual-drive dual-boot >
>>
>>101526507
I use both depending on the purpose.
>>
File: 1648549519233.jpg (116 KB, 833x1024)
116 KB
116 KB JPG
>>101526507
Go full Linux.
>>
>>101527256
Does that actually happen?
(linux singlebooter).
>>
>>101529847
I've never had Windows even fuck up the EFI partition, let alone brick my Linux partitions
The worst it does is move Windows Boot Manager to the top of the boot order after an update
>>
>>101526507
single GPU passthrough
>>
File: shopping.jpg (21 KB, 450x204)
21 KB
21 KB JPG
>>101526507
Honestly anon unless you need a strong GPU for something on linux just get a tiny Lenovo Thinkcentre or a dell TFF equivalent and stick your Linux of choice on it for under 100 USD off Ebay and save yourself the hassle.

When I started doing this shit it was a bit of a hassle and then I moved onto a KVM which helped a lot but now I just use Parsec and Sunshine to play on the big gayming rig from my daily driver linux shitbox.
>>
>>101532586
Also I'm a Night Auditor and I'm accessing one of my home desktops running Ubuntu 22.04 over sunshine to play Starsector and set up a QEMU VM to run deluge over vpn, for Libreoffice of course.
>>
>>101532611
accessing it from work*
>>
>>101529847
yes (im not that anon), it has happened to me as well. It's only safe if you install linux on another harddrive.
>>
>>101526573
shader translation these days isn't really a problem if you use an up to date driver. The shader compilation speed was improved by 10000% in one update. Just dont use outdated distros.
>>
>>101527256
I managed to fuck my bootloader first time I did it but I didn't have that problem. I could totally see windows re-encrypting the drive and fucking everything on an update tho.
>>
>>101526507
proton and wine for games, GPU passthrough for programs
>>
>>101526507
Proton/Wine will give you superior performance assuming the game is compatible. For instance, the dead spess remake runs like anus for most on DX12 but suddenly becomes butter on Vulkan/Proton.
But some games will not work period, that's what you need to consider.
>>
>>101529847
Yes though shouldnt be an issue with LTSC /g/ patched installation
>>101526507
Depemds on the game. Generally run iGPU and Linux and dGPU on Windows VM. You may install on another partition, a bootable one if possible for better performance or second OS for any reason
>>
File: 1710617354025.jpg (37 KB, 500x500)
37 KB
37 KB JPG
>>101527256
Can confirm. I've had to reinstall grub so many times because a windows update fucks my dual boot setup. Last time it erased the OS from uefi even , absolute fucking degenerate bullshit.
>>
>>101526507
Wine and proton is fine for most things but also dual boot for the rest
>>
>>101526507
I dont know of the two games I tried in wine, 1 of them was a stuttery mess, even though it said it was running at 95fps. 50% success-rate isnt that great
>>
>>101532776
then why did it happen on arch last week
>>
>>101529847
yes, I have them on separate drives to avoid the issue
>>
>>101526507
gpu passthrough is extremely tedious to get working

proton kinda works sometimes
>>
>>101526516
pretty much this. its just a pain in the ass to reboot everytime you want to game or browse /g/
>>
>>101526507
i ran a GPU passthrough gaming VM for a long-ass time, before there were friendly guides and looking-glass and shit. it worked really well.
but since the deck dropped and proton has been getting serious attention, i haven't booted it up. i finally destroyed the windows system disk image last month. proton just plays everything fine. it's really really rare i have to tinker anything.
i don't play hyper-mainstream normie competitive gaming shit that requires you to install spyware to run it tho, and i know that shit doesn't work. so if you're like, big on CSGO or R6 or League or something else equally trash, it won't work. but, this is true for the gaming VM /w passthrough too: they'll detect VMs. they're quite good at it, and to sufficiently hide it to boot into the games, you'll take performance penalties.
>>
>>101526573
>suffers from micro-stutters (Vulkan shader translating in real time)
>t. someone who impatiently spam clicks "cancel/ignore" on the "preparing shaders" step on first game launch
oh no how could that happen to you
>>
>>101540304
CS is native. Anyway, proton is literally "just werks" status almost all of the time at this point, the only time it doesn't is if the devs don't allow linux in the anticheat, and some obscure games will require stuff that was typical for running any game on wine 10 or so years ago, protontricks etc. It's reached the point where I just expect games to work, and buy what I want without checking half the time. I only accidentally bought something that wouldn't work once, a couple years ago, and iirc last I looked it was possible now. There's really no reason to stay on windows for gaming unless you're completely fucking married to tarkov or some other game that doesn't have support enabled
>>
>>101526507
You might want to ask on the linux_gaming subreddit, there are more tech literate people there compared to /g/ on related subjects like latency, wayland, proton, gamescope and so on,
>>
>>101526507
>"try" proton and wine
just use it like a normal person
>>
>>101526507
GPU passthrough if you're setting up a new system. Rather you break it right then and there than when you've taken it in use already.

Unless if it's just for one game, short term. Then check ProtonDB.
>>
>>101526516
this, can't play crap with proton, runs like a snail compared when I used to play on windows
>>
>>101526543
it fucks up tf2 after the 64 bit, had to use legacy opengl
>>
>>101527468
>Fortnite
You need to be at least 18 to post here.
>>
Basically Proton / WINE etc works very well now in many cases, so do that first. Passthrough is less necessary with virtualization but it is an option if you're using shit that absolutely requires windows because of faggy anticheat nonsense and a few other issues.

Oh maybe this is the thread. New mobo X670E has not just Resizable BAR (which I know is good) but SR-IOV which apparently has lots of GPU (and NIC and other stuff) virtualization benefits. Is it worth enabling at BIOS/UEFI all the time even if yo're not using it currently or does it have some performance penalty or another issue that keeps you from enabling it unless you're going to be using it immediately etc?
>>
>>101526516
That option is shit and you'll get really tired of it quickly.
The real solution is to buy a miniPC for everything not gayming and hook that up to your monitor(s) along with your gayming PC and just wake up the PC when you want to game. You can also switch everything over with a dock.
You'll eventually save the money back from not running a full PC for web browsing or whatever and it's nice to have a backup computer if one goes down.
>>
File: file.png (142 KB, 1958x582)
142 KB
142 KB PNG
>>101526507
I use a windows vm with a gpu, usb card, and sata controller given to it. feels like what dual-booting should actually mean. performance doesn't feel any different from the windows box with the 12900kf I used to use. and with looking-glass I don't even need to leave linux. (looking glass, at least on my igpu, has terrible frame dropping though so I usually just switch inputs on my monitor when I want to use the windows VM)
>>
The only time Proton failed me was when attempting to play janky late '90s pc racing games with even jankier fan patches. Even wheels work otherwise.
>>
>>101526571
Windows is only used by baby ducks nowadays who wouldn't even be able to operate a TV remote if it's a different brand and the buttons aren't identical to the old one. Well, baby ducks and scamming pajeets of course. I guarantee you that if Linux breaks it's 100% your fault, it doesn't just break on its own.
>inb4 b-but corporate world
I was talking about home users. Only cool people in the corporate world are allowed to choose to run Linux on their work computer, like me. Mindless plebs have to settle for Windows but that's fine, it's the baby duck OS anyway.
>>
>>101529847
Can confirm. Windows fucked up my encrypted Linux drive and got a bsod itself. I first suspected that the drive was failing but it turns out that it was a botched windows update. I only run Linux now.
>>
File: 1719804059028224.png (193 KB, 537x1000)
193 KB
193 KB PNG
>>101526516
FUCK windows, it will only mess with the bootloader post install or when it randomly force-updates.
>>101526507
Just use Proton and you will very unlikely encounter issues
>>
>>101527256
I use seperate hd's and never had this problem.
>>
>>101529847
I dual boot since Windows XP times.
I only ONCE had a Windows update fuck over the Linux partition. And that was with Windows 10. So one time in twenty years.

You do have to make backups before large windows updates. Even though the chance is tiny, it does exist.
Also disable Windows PE and learn how to recover GRUB.
>>
I use GPU pass through. Compatibility is almost perfect.
>>
>>101526507
Proton and wine is great if you're just terminally Linux brained, but a serious gamer will want to use various programs that is either a headache or non existent on linux. Hdr is still a joke on Linux, and while it's improving and works fine for some, it still doesn't support tools like rtx hdr and rewasd
>inb4 steam controller remap
It's great, but it doesn't quite have the same flexibility and power
>inb4 rtx hdr isn't REAL hdr
Yeah but it's still really nice in many games, and while there is fake hdr on Linux as well it isn't as good as rtx hdr.
Same with browsers not having hdr in linux.
So if you only want to game on Linux it's great now, but of you want next level gaming you dual boot, or best of all gpu passthrough in a vm
>>
>proton
Yeah but does it work on cracked games?
>>
>>101544162
Skill issue. Most games work with Proton.
>>
>>101544177
>it fucks up tf2
Multiplayer games are for children.
>>
>>101526507
For vidya always wine unless wine can't work
>>
>>101549444
proton-ge
>>
>>101549444
Use bottles
>>
File: 1714409216253219.jpg (67 KB, 1088x1049)
67 KB
67 KB JPG
>>101551507
>got wrecked in a match and is now forever mad about multiplayer
>>
>>101526507
Proton and wine would be the path of least resistance. Eapecially if you choose to use Steam.
>>
>>101526507
Proton or Wine should work for most things, it's mostly the deliberately sabotaged software like Autodesk or Adobe malware that would need a VM. VR would also need a VM, which is most of the reason that I use a VM.
>>101526516
>Not having access to Linux things running on top of your VM
>Need to add an NTFS partition to your drive (disgusting)
>Windows can see and fuck with external content, something that it routinely does if you keep it on the same drive as your Linux install
New CPUs tend to have an iGPU, there is no excuse for not using a VM now if you need Windows.
>>101539274
Doesn't really seem like it, but I've also set it up a few times by now. You just follow the guides.
>>
>>101554675
tbf the only time i did it was in 2016 so maybe its gotten a lot easier since then.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.