[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/g/ - Technology

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

What is their actual usecase?
I mean I love them because they work perfectly for my 5V tinker projects but those are mainstream items and not made solely for me.
>>
Also, wouldn't just using 12V be more efficient if they're supposed to be normal case fans?
>>
>>101537487
Anything USB related and a lot of people use them for 3d printers, because most 24v fans suck.
But overall definitely not widely used.
>>
USB is 5V and you can power an AVR microcontroller with it. I still have no idea why you'd want to buy a 120mm 5V fan but that's all that comes to mind.
>>
File: noctua-nf-a200-pwm-22.jpg (447 KB, 1600x1200)
447 KB
447 KB JPG
>>101537534
>I still have no idea why you'd want to buy a 120mm 5V fan
Actually I bought one of these 200mm giant humongous asses last week. I aimed it at my bed running on AAs because I don't like having an AC room fan running while I sleep.
It's ridiculous how little energy these things sip
>>
>>101537597
that sounds equally autistic and based
>>
>>101537617
It absolutely is and probably borderline retarded but I can sleep a ton better now so I'd say it works for me
>>
>>101537487
use case is any microcontroller or machine that runs off of 5V only and you want a fan to run at full speed, without adding any other components.

for ex. I want to put a full speed cooling fan in my model 2 sega saturn which only uses 5V inputs. most 12V fans wouldn't even start at that speed. but I can use a 5V one and it'll run fine, and oh noctua also includes their omnijoin set with 5V fans so I can connect it to the console without needing to solder the fan directly to the motherboard.

>>101537597
shit, I should've tried that, the heat wave last week was unbearable. but it's too late now cause I'll be having an AC installed soon.
>>
>>101537487
>usecase
spin on that thang
>>
you guys wouldn't believe how many hook these up to 12V DESPITE there's 5V printed everywhere and even have warning tags on the cable.

>customer buys 5V variant
>customer remarks fan is way louder than he'd have expected from a noctua fan. unusually loud in fact but has "decent" output
>a couple weeks later tries to return it because "it broke"

>other customers make posts warning others that these are "NOT case fans!"
>>
>>101537766
are they cheaper or something? would explain why some non tech dork would buy them
>>
>>101537487
I put my NAS in a closet.
It was getting too hot so I drilled a large hole in side of the closet (it's close to a wall so you can't even see the hole from the outside) and screwed a 5V fan on it powered by USB.

My only issue is it's a bit loud and I can't change the speed.
Maybe I could add a fan controller but I think most are 12V?
Just wished they made a lower rpm version.
>>
>>101537766
Normies probably think 5V is the regular voltage for fans.
I mean the fans might have "5V" printed on them everywhere but the thing they plug them into doesn't say "12V" anywhere.
>>
>>101537597
Now you also need this for complete autism:
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3010988
>>
>>101537487
I use a 80mm 5v fan for my raspberry pi.
>>
File: servo.jpg (6 KB, 264x191)
6 KB
6 KB JPG
>>101539753
You laugh but I thought about getting that printed.
But now after a week of having it blasting me on my bed without any attachment I wonder if it was actually needed in my use case scenario.

My original plan was to make an adjustable mounting that would osculate the fan around, simulating what (good) room fans do but instead of mechanical (how the usual room fans do it) it would be using cogwheels and a small motor or a servo under the fan inside the fan mounting.

The thing though is the fan is blowing air in a really REALLY broad way which to be honest feels really nice in bed. It feels like the air is touching you softly all over your body instead of having a hard ray of air running over you. It feels really fluid and nice. Hard to explain.
So in the end I may not even do this whole project and just keep the fan blowing stationary without any air stream focusing attachment and without rotating mount. It already feels really nice.
But who knows, maybe I'll just do that project some time just for the shits and giggles.
>>
>>101539998
With that attachment you will be able to run it slower so it will be even quieter, if you want to make it osculate, directional airflow would make even more sense. Only problem is that servos are loud. There should be a better solution.
>>
>>101540108
>With that attachment you will be able to run it slower so it will be even quieter
That is a very good point.
BUT I have to admit the fan, even running at 100%, is silent enough for me to sleep. It's mostly a stead wind wooshing and not a whole lot of motor buzzing. Since this thing got me so much relief from the heat I think I mind the little noise it makes even less.

>Only problem is that servos are loud.
True!
I'm not a professional but isn't the biggest noise issue with servos the way they're controlled? The PWM?
As swiftly mentioned I also had the idea of going really really simple and just use a simple non-PWM DC motor connected to a giant gear that would just do its thing until the the rotation end-point is reached on which a switch is installed that would then change the polarity of the motor and therefore start turning the mounting in the other direction until it reaches that other rotation end and so on.
This could be barely audible over the wind noise BUT to make it reliable I'd have to use microswitches for the polarity switching which would probably result in annoying clicking whenever it changes.
Another idea would be to use photo resistor and led on each end to give a signal to change polarity of the motor. That would definitely be silent of course.
>>
>>101539358
you need to drill a secound hold on the opposite side for fresh air
>>
>>101543523
this
>>
>>101537487
Laptops
>>
>>101537487
i got one to cool the video transmitter on my fpv drone (which usually just cools passively but if i crash the drone in bushes it will overheat and shut down)

a lot of electronics has 5V rails and no higher voltage rails, there's even 3.3V fans
>>
File: file.jpg (24 KB, 474x474)
24 KB
24 KB JPG
>>101537597
I used a no-name 120mm 12V fan with wires soldered to a USB plug (it works at 5V, just at reduced speed compared to 12V) and used it to get a gentle breeze when I'm at the pc. I had in mind to let it connected to the USB with computer off (USB ports are still powered) and pointed to my bed but never did it. But yours is an inspiration, probably will do it tonight, thx!
>>
>>101537597
>running on AAs
How many AAs? How much do they last?
>>
>>101549057
Hope it will work for you. Stay cool, anon!
>>101550438
4 AAs, the whole night.
Didn't do an endurance test yet since I charge every day after I wake up but yeah it does the job
>>
File: file.jpg (58 KB, 700x700)
58 KB
58 KB JPG
>>101550580
Thx for the answer! If only I could remember where I have pic related, I know I have but can't recall where... I could also use one phone charger with USB out, not sure which solution is safer from a fire hazard risk.
>>
Because oems sometimes use them, and noctua.at is in the business of offering a product that fills any desire someone may have.
Iirc shit like the ps2 was a 5v fan, a lot of stb and audio equipment also. A bunch of embedded shitters too. 5v is pretty common in mass production when you don't otherwise need 12v anymore
>>
>>101537487
There are many devices that are able to output max 5v, like SBCs, laptops, DVRs.
Sure someone will find a use case for them, hence the demand and supply.
>>
>>101550704
You could probably use the usb phone charger too if it's a well made one (personally I don't trust cheap ones from ebay). I actually used the usb charger of my old Sony Xperia for the fan for a couple days and when running the Noctua fan it barely gets warm. When charging the phone like it's supposed to it does get noticeably warm so I'd say the fan really does task it way less and therefore should be ok.

Since you're using a 12V fan though I'm not sure about the situation. Technically the you run of course doesn't pull as much at 5V as it does at 12V and it's only a 120mm fan so maybe it's fine. If you do not have any equipment to measure the power draw I'd say run it for like an hour or two while you're awake and around and then feel if the charger got warm and especially important if it got warmer than it does charging your phone normally.
If it does get warmer than when charging your phone, do not use the charger for running the fan.

Some very important tips at the end:
Take autistically good care of securing the fan in place.
You don't want it to get knocked over at night and stop spinning while connected. When it can't spin while still getting power it will get hot and could start a fire if you're very unlucky and the batteries are still almost full (a good power supply should automatically switch off on a short but straight connected batteries will just keep pumping power, so take good care).
Be also just as careful to not short out anything. Do not have lose connections flying around (for example quickly connecting two cable ends by twisting them together and then not insulating them with tape). Check and double check if your fan mounting is rock solid so it won't tip over at night and check your connections and cables.

If you want to go the extra mile you could also put a 1A 5v fuse between your power source and the fan.
My final advice is to only tinker with this stuff you run while you're asleep only when you know what you're doing.
>>
>>101550959
True, not those are mostly small devices, hence a 200mm monster fan for 5V surprised me a bit but I welcome it
>>
>>101551120
I was so happy, now I hate you because I see myself die in a fucking fire from my undervolted, crappy wired, unstable fan... :D
Anyway, the fan already has plenty hours of running at 5V on the PC USB plug so that probably will be fine. Since I didn't wanted to cut the molex connector I simply soldered pins to the fan wires and inserted them in the molex sockets (or vice versa, I haven't the fan here). The fan has the tendency to flip very easily, I'll snap a clamp on its base so to have a larger base, thx!
>>
>>101551472
No prob.
Just making sure you're safe.
>>
File: el cheapo fan.jpg (254 KB, 1280x1350)
254 KB
254 KB JPG
>>101551517
Forgot I actually have a pic of the masterpiece!
>>
>>101551548
Sweet! As long as the pins are well seated in there it looks like solid job. Well done, Anon.
>>
>>101551593
If me and the thread will be both alive I'll report back!
>>
File: 1714953908428223.png (324 KB, 335x506)
324 KB
324 KB PNG
>>101537597
>I aimed it at my bed running on AAs because I don't like having an AC room fan running while I sleep.
>>
now I wonder what would be the biggest propeller you could spin at 5v battery power.
maybe I'll try hooking up a room fan propeller to a 5v motor and see if it's enough to spin it
>>
>>101543523
Nah, it's far from air tight.
Just needed a fan to push the hot air out, and the 140mm fan I got is already way too powerful.
>>
File: 20240522_145012.jpg (989 KB, 4000x3000)
989 KB
989 KB JPG
>>101537597
>>101549057
Same, I used the leftover fans from my old PC I already sold
Cool and breezy for my balls during these summer months
>>
File: 76506057.jpg (36 KB, 400x535)
36 KB
36 KB JPG
>>101553141
>Cool and breezy for my balls during these summer months
We're reaching based levels that shouldn't be possible
>>
>>101553141
kek
>>
>>101552430
Probably not enough torque
>>
>>101553141
>breezy for my balls
Imagine the smell.
>>
>>101557902
balls
>>
>>101558128
BallsNasty
>>
>>101557902
comfy
>>
I love them because I can power them off USB so I can just shove them in any random enclosure and keep my diy shit nice and cool
>>
>>101560252
This
>>
Is there any info on how Noctua got the idea of using these strange colors for their fans? I mean it's still better than pink but come on now
>>
File: el cheapo fan de la noche.jpg (294 KB, 1280x1319)
294 KB
294 KB JPG
>>101551697
The fan run for 6 hours, made it through the night and survived, and #Metoo!! It delivered a really gentle breeze, it's almost imperceptible on the body but being so it's really the point. It's also almost inaudible, if you pay close attention it's there but I fell asleep like everyday. I liked the experiment, if you have a fairly big fan (120mm or bigger) around it may be worth playing!
>>
>>101563115
Forgot to mention, both the fan motor and the phone charger to which the fan was connected were almost cold in the morning.
>>
>>101563115
>>101563124
Ah neat, thanks for the feedback!
>>
File: wtfblades.jpg (54 KB, 499x504)
54 KB
54 KB JPG
Aeronautical engineer, what kind of benefit (if any) has this kind of fan blade over common type like >>101549057 or >>101537597 ?
>>
>>101553141
Seems like a wind chamber for balls...
>>
>>101564086
That's an incredibly basic question my guy.
Your Pic is for high velocity airflow, other ones are for high static pressure.
You'd is good for a case inlet because thee air moves freely in and out of the fan with no restrictions, others are good directly attached to a radiating unit because the air has to get shoved through it
>>
>>101566634
And I thank you very much, blades profiles always get me curious!
>>
File: file.jpg (117 KB, 1001x1001)
117 KB
117 KB JPG
>>101566634
Oh, and tiny scimitar blades tightly spaced serves which purpose? More static pressure? Thx!
>>
>>101564086
rip in pepperoni deepcool
>>
I don't have any 5v fans to talk about, but i do keep old PC case/CPU fans and re-use some in my PC. I usually zip-tie them in place because I put them in spots not meant for fans so small. I have two 92mm dudes strung up above my GPU as extra exhaust, my GPU runs 3-5 c cooler when the fans are going so that's pretty nice. I'm using two 80mm PSU fans in the bottom of my case for some airflow for my SSD's but i am contemplating moving them since they probably don't do much good right now.

Also the last case fan I bought cost me total $1 because of an Alibaba chinese new years promotion. Some thermalright fan with RGB to match the thermalright cooler on my CPU. Thanks, China
>>
>>101567749
>but i do keep old PC case/CPU fans and re-use some in my PC.
same.
The oldest one I have is from a 1986 286 machine, made by PAPST and it's fuck loud.
>>
>>101564086
looks like it's good at chopping fingers
>>
I made a USB-to-fan cable to cool the router my ISP forces me to use (which fortunately I can put in bridge mode) because I let it get pretty hot in my room. The fan itself is some old Fractal 140mm. It's 12v but it'll just barely kick over and run from 5v. Which is nice because you can't hear it even with your ear right next to it.

>>101569302
I have a Delta TFB1212GHE in my parts box; 120mm, 220CFM, 26mm pressure, rated three amps of +12. That thing is more than a finger-chopper. it looks like some aircraft designer invented a new jet engine explicitly designed to shred birds. The hub is recessed a bit and the blades extend a bit over it.

Funnily enough that fan runs from 5v too, but it's still quite audible. Sort of like the growl a muscle car emits when it's idling.
>>
>>101569468
>Sort of like the growl a muscle car emits when it's idling.
It hungers for birds
>>
>>101568285
some of the fans I keep are fucking loud too once you get above 1000rpm. but I have a few that are not bad at all, luck of the draw it seems. The louder ones I will probably just toss out eventually.
>>
>>101569468
Shit, I'm in the same situation with an ISP router that spits heat from the optical fiber receiver. Since it has an USB port for file sharing/media server I can see if it can run a fan to cool the back of the device...
>>
>>101571164
>see if it can run a fan to cool the back of the device...
USB standard is 5V 500mA which is plenty to spin a fan. My 5V 200mm fan is running on full steam at 170mA
>>
>>101569468
>Delta
Back in the time it was the first choice to have extreme cooling out of your cooler. But it was a warrant of a noise level of an helicopter during take off. Guess they still are.
>>
>>101571164
yes, ports like that can run a fan.
>>
>>101572380
I mean, they have their own airline.... huehuehue
>>
>>101572380
I remember that 38CFM 60mm used to be really popular. but they make ones far, far louder than that
>>
>>101539753
neat

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.