[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/g/ - Technology

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: images (49).jpg (15 KB, 196x257)
15 KB
15 KB JPG
>be me 13
>Buy a book to learn how to code
>Try and get my head around it, do a couple hello world programs, eventually stop

>Be me, 20
>Watch youtube videos on coding
>try to learn again
>fail

>Be me
>36
>Try boot.dev
>cant keep my interest
>Fail

Am I just too stupid to know how to code?
>>
>>101540219
You can make up for stupidity if you are committed enough. You're not only stupid but you lack commitment.
>>
It sounds like you don't really want to
>>
>>101540219
Bro you clearly have ADHD, get some Adderall to fix your shitty attention span.
>>
I was just about to make a similar thread. Hope you don't mind if I ask this here OP.

I just got the news that my entry to college is going to be pushed back by 4 months, so I have an upcoming 5 month period where I'll just be doing nothing. Is it realistic for me to learn a decent amount of programming in 4-5 months if I treat it like a full-time job and spend 40 hours a week on it?

What language(s) should I learn? I already know some html/css/javascript/php. I think I see people say C/C++ are what you want to learn, but I don't know the difference or if that's even true. Python too.

Thanks in advance!
>>
>>101540426
C is largely a subset of C++ and is simple to learn
Python looks simple but hides complexity from you, which is bad:
a = [0] * 5
a[1] = 123
# [0, 123, 0, 0, 0]

a = [[0] * 5] * 5
a[1][1] = 123
# [[0, 123, 0, 0, 0],
# [0, 123, 0, 0, 0],
# [0, 123, 0, 0, 0],
# [0, 123, 0, 0, 0],
# [0, 123, 0, 0, 0]]

this unintuitive Python behavior will make sense if you learn C first
manual here: https://www.gnu.org/software/gnu-c-manual/gnu-c-manual.html
stay away from meme languages like Rust, anon
>>
>>101540219
try paying for a few classes
>>
>>101540219
That's me but with modeling in Blender.
>>
>>101540376
Bullshit
>>101540219
Even if you like to learn the basics of programming, at some point everyone becomes "disinterested". The key is in managing distractions.
You need to be lax enough on yourself that you don't burn out, but strict enough that you don't waste too much time.
Everyone can learn the basics of programming.
>>101540426
It is realistic. That's basically a whole semester.
Research what first semester courses your university teaches. Ask what books they follow and buy or download the books and start learning that. Sorry to break it to you, but the hardest part about university isn't going to be the programming, it's going to be the math. Start learning Calculus and Linear Algebra.
Try to get old exams from the university so you know what topics they cover.
Unless it's some kind of trade school in which they only teach practical stuff. In that case you can learn whatever you want, the classes will be easy anyway.
>>
>>101541527
Sculpting in Blender is addicting. Once I spent a week sleeping 2 hours a day because I just wanted to sculpt.
>>
>>101541566
I just can't do some thing that I'd like to do and I know it's a matter of just not knowing the right tool to do it but also don't know anybody into Blender to guide me about doing so.
>follow sculpting tutorial
>zero issues
>try to do something from scratch
>get stuck at some point and ditch everything
>fast forward some years and the loop repeats just like in OP's case
The last thing I remember getting stuck was trying to make a handgun grip with bumps yet couldn't make bumps at all, everything I tried looked like spikes.
>>
>>101540376
>muh adderall
>>
>>101541548
>>101540642
thanks for the input. I'm not getting into a specific programming program, I just figure if I want to be a competent expert in the field I should know at least rudimentary programming. As it stands, I'm getting into the network side in college, while I'm also trying to get into university simultaneously. I won't see any programming if I go to college, but definitely will if I end up in university instead.

Also as just a side thing, I think it would be nice to be able to program software to do the things I want it to (nothing too complicated of course) whenever I want.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.