[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/g/ - Technology

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: rubber sticky coating.jpg (227 KB, 750x1000)
227 KB
227 KB JPG
>it's another device with a nice rubberized coating that will turn sticky in 10 years
Seriously, how the FUCK do you even prevent this? I fucking hate this shit.
>>
File: jVp.gif (1.14 MB, 500x284)
1.14 MB
1.14 MB GIF
Don't buy shit with rubberised coatings.
>>
Buy a new one every 9 years
>>
>>101540233
>how the FUCK do you even prevent this?
errr
not buying rubberized shit?

i think its a chemistry thing
'wouldnt surprize me its the oils of your skin and your sweat that does that
>>
>>101540233
Wash your hands before and after use.
>>
>>101540233
Razer is crap. Never had tech break desu, just Razer junk.
>>
>>101540233
you can remove the coating with isopropyl alcohol and a melamine sponge.
>>
>>101540279
yep, razer shit always breaks in 2 months 100% of the time
>>
>>101540233
you should lick it clean
>>
Isn't there any replacement for rubberized coatings?
>>
>>101540256
>surprize
Maybe go back to school, kid?
Cheap plastics will eventually turn into a liquid. Razer and just about any mouse manufacturer are using these compounds. Why do you think they are all manufactured in China anyway?
>>
i bought the aliexpress copy that costs 3x less and is made of hard plastic

fuck logitech
>>
>>101540256
>think its a chemistry thing
>'wouldnt surprize me its the oils of your skin and your sweat that does that
You are mentally challenged
this shit happened to me with a front panel of a pc case that i touched twice in 5 years (sat under desk as server)
>>
>>101540442
I did not know schools taught plastics and rubber chemistry beyond some very general basics. American education is truly incredible!
>>
>>101540233
You don't fucking buy shit with that.
Same with the weird fluffy surface keyboards.
Nearly ten years is a good run for a mouse tho'. Not that I'm defending this.
>>
sandpaper exists
>>
>>101540233
I had a gamepad that had this shit surface. While I don't know how to prevent this, here how to get rid of it:
What I did is mix very little vinegar with baking soda and rub the surface thoroughly with a sponge. After that put plenty of wet baking soda on it's surface then leave it overnight. At the morning scrub it off. Just be careful because they have heavy reaction.
You can also put the baking soda and vinegar mix into appliances that has water scale. Pour plenty so they can react. Be careful not to inhale.
>t. esl femanon
>>
>>101540836
>t. never sandpapered rubber
try it. try to sandpaper a car tire, see how that goes
>>
>>101540233
Natural rubber coated mouse, with the rubber clamped in place.

I use a cheap Logitech non rubber laser mouse (G20 or whatever). Or uh... no. I use a plastic optical SteelSeries mouse rn, same difference.
>>
>>101540858
>femanon (male)
>>
>>101540233
Do zoomers really not wash their hands before using a computer?
>>101540272
I don't know how it's so hard for these "people"
>>
>>101540233
My Ergo mouse is a timebomb because of that. I've seen some people do a cool leather patchwork, but I'll just be forced to get a new one or something. Fuck rubber, it'll decay regardless of usage.
>>
>>101540913
there's a difference between a tire and a fucking 1mm layer
>>
>>101541220
yeah also in consistency
but its the worst tool you could choose for the job
youre gonna detach the zircon from the sandpaper and make a sand...mouse instead- you will embed the zircon into it
and if you get bigger grit
youre gonna pack your paper in seconds if the rubber bits you detached arent just gonna roll between the paper and the mouse

a tire wouldnt act like that bc its way harder but its tough af, so if you had to do it to see that s/p rubber is a bad idea, it still would have served the purpose

if thats what you go with, try to cut away the rubber first
or to detach it otherwise
maybe the pad is glued on. maaaaybe. i believe this kind of shit is molded onto the body of the mouse directly, but sometimes it isnt, or the rubber is tougher than the heat bond with the plastic body

afterwards you mioght try with acetone to smooth out the unavoidable scratches your sandpapering/cutting will leave on the body.
be careful, acetone dissolves plastic so try out the method on the underside of the mouse, and obviously not on the plastic lens.
acetone can opacify transparent plastics.
acetone fumes can do that too, be careful

and it doesnt work with all plastics to begin with
maybe jyst buy a mouse+kb combo from tr ust for 14 bucks instead and be done with it
>>
>my shitty plastic thing made in China for 5 cents needs to last me 10 years
>>
File: minipro.jpg (88 KB, 780x399)
88 KB
88 KB JPG
My Xperia's backside was rubberized and it went sticky, degraded but with the best possible outcome: The rubber just started to peel off CLEAN. Under the rubber is just normal looking black plastic.

I wish it was always like that.
The now clean plastic isn't even sticky at all or has any visible residues.
>>
>>101541379
SOUL in dat screen
>>
File: 1705388398129.jpg (1.52 MB, 4208x3120)
1.52 MB
1.52 MB JPG
It bums me out knowing that parts of my mouse and key caps will eventually get ground down to that oily look from constant use and contact.
>>
>>101541509
I'm into the well used look especially if all the wear and tear is from me. A machine that is working flawlessly for many many years is lovely and allowed to show it's been on duty for a long time. Just keep the stuff clean and it's fine.
>>
>>101540233
Welcome to planned obsolescence
>>
>>101540233
take a shower you filthy animal
>>
>>101540233
Those rubberised coatings are absolute garbage. They break down over time and tend to revert back to a more liquid state.
>>101540256
>'wouldnt surprize me its the oils of your skin and your sweat that does that
I had a raspberry pi case that had a top plastic part rubberised. I haven't handled it, basically just sat there on the desk. Still degraded in a few years.
>>
>>101540233
>how the FUCK do you even prevent this?
Moisturize it regularly with hand cream, not even joking.
>>
>>101540233
dont buy gamer shit
>>
>>101540836
You don't need sandpaper, all you need is >>101540310 and if you don't have a magic eraser, paper towels work too in my experience.
>>
>>101540233
> turns sticky in 10 years
You sure that you'll be using it in 10 years mate?
>>
>>101540233
buy a finalmouse
>>
>>101544577
i'm still using my logitech g1 mouse AND keyboard
>>
>>101540233
This mouse belongs to a woman, probably a female gamer. Bitches are filthy. Niggas really be living like this. Either that, or a nigga who doesn't take care of himself or his shit--no difference really, they're both massive bitches--otherwise they would've done >>101540310
>>101540310
>melamine sponge
There's a sponge that can soak up the thing that makes you black? Shiet.
>>
>>101540233
Stop buying shit with rubberized coatings.
Failing that, pay attention to what you clean it with.
>>101540256
Most hand soaps, cleaning agents (dish soap or whatever) and shit tier hygiene products will include Limonene (organic solvent, yay) as a way to get you stuck in a cycle of using hydrating moisturizer to counter the solvents stripping the protective oils off of your skin, as well as forcing you to use more soap to counter your body overproducing oil in response.
Limonene will also dissolve rubber, so it's going to eat away at the coating over time if it comes into contact with it.
>>
>>101540233
Yeah fuck cheap ass rubberized coatings

>buy midi controller with some extra knobs and faders
>meant to be touched all the time to play music
>3 years old, rubberized coating on the knobs and faders is all sticky and gross making them basically useless
>>
>>101540233
That's the one flaw with MX Master mice, the rubber coating gets worn down by your hands no matter what.
>>
It would be nice if they designed mice to be cleaned easier. Imagine if the left and right clickers and the shell could just snap right off and then you toss those plastic pieces in the dishwaster.
>>
>>101541509
Buy keycaps made out of PBT, they don't do this.

By "they don't do this" I mean it takes like 10 to 20 years until it's somewhat noticable, compared to the 1 to 2 years it takes on the cheap ABS keycaps that most keyboards use
>>
>>101540858
This, but baking soda and bleach instead
>>
>>101540256
I don't think it is. My car's stereo has started to do this and I can promise you nobody's touching all of that. I think it's just this stupid fucking material
>>
>>101540233
>device lasted 10 years
Retire it, it has earned its rest.
>>
>>101540233
>buy a mouse
>screws are hidden under the feet
>the feet are glued to the mouse
that's the real sin
>>
been using a g502 for 7 years and the rubberized stuff is getting a bit worn but no stickyness at all
maybe skill issue
>>
>>101540233
You do, the petrochemicals were just barely being held in the state it was. after 10 years of heat and skin acid, all soft touch products will melt. MY fucking Mazda's dashboard melted because the idiots used it and hand to recall it. but the recall was invalid before i bought the car for $100 and the previous owner was a woman who didnt do the recall to no ones surprise.
>>
File: mazda sux.png (69 KB, 1173x461)
69 KB
69 KB PNG
>>101553088
>>
>>101548484
>>101541509
I paid more to get abs caps because i want this
>>
>>101540233
That's a lotta gamer gunk ...
>>
>>101548607
but what if it wants to keep serving? to keep fulfilling it's duty until it goes out with dignity?
>>
>>101540233
Rubber has a lifespan. This is impossible to prevent. You got jewed.

>>101540252
This.

There's nothing wrong with cheap plastic but some faggots want <limited lifespan premium bullshit> instead.
>>
>>101548607
>>device lasted 10 years
>Retire it, it has earned its rest.

I have my Logitech mouse since 2003 which is over 2 decades by now.
>cleaned micro switches a couple times to make them stop doubleclicking/not clicking (their case hinges even broke but tape holds them together fine)
>fixed broken cable couple times

>just buy new tf r u doing
Keeping shit running is part of my hobby and it's especially rewarding since the stuff I use just suits me perfectly
>>
>>101540442
>Maybe go back to school, kid?
I'm not allowed near schools anymore.
>>
>>101540233
use turpentine to wipe off the remaining rubber

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.