[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/g/ - Technology

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Can you explain to a codelet how this works?
So you make an account and upload your code into the web? Is this basically a glorified cloud based notebook that saves my code?

Also, how is the security? I imagine this is perfect for open source, but what if I want to hide my sourcecode? I assume there is a private option but does it have a history of getting hacked/leaked?
>>
>>101542235
They host your codebase for free if you keep it open source. Yes, it's just using someone else's server to manage your project with git. If you want to self host for a personal project you can use a nas but if you want your code to be public you need to use them, someone else, or your own website.
>>
>>101542235
it's a repository where trannies can share and update their CoC(K)s aka Code of Conduct.
>>
>>101542235
>So you make an account and upload your code into the web?
Yes.
>Is this basically a glorified cloud based notebook that saves my code?
Not exactly. Typically you write your code on your own computer and save its history using the git software (which was not created for github and doesn't require github, though github does require git).
You then put a copy of that history on github not just so that people can see it easily but also so that they can contribute to it. They can make a fork of your repository and upload their own changes there, and then they can open a pull request to ask you to add those changes to your own original repository. That way you can collaborate.
>Also, how is the security? I imagine this is perfect for open source, but what if I want to hide my sourcecode? I assume there is a private option but does it have a history of getting hacked/leaked?
You can make your repo private yeah. No history of leaks that I know of.
In that case it may not be much more than a backup system. Which is still a good thing to have of course.
>>
>>101542235
>using github
>>
>>101542353
What else is there? Goyberg?
>>
What you should really be asking is how does git work. GitHub is a website for git. GitHub might allow you to upload files directly but you're not supposed to use it that way unless you need to change the README and don't have access to your local repository for some reason.
>>
im surprised git isn't integrated into more services, especially note taking services and stuff like google docs.
>>
File: 11164887278.jpg (51 KB, 1492x832)
51 KB
51 KB JPG
>>101542235
>upload your code into the web
>>
>>101545157
this
>working for 0$
literal jannies of code kek
>>
>>101542373
SteinCode
BankmanScript
BildenBuild
MoisheMake
RabbiRunner

g*d, its like you guys live under a rock or something...

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.