[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/g/ - Technology

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: IMG_0149.jpg (70 KB, 721x721)
70 KB
70 KB JPG
What programming languages would you recommend learning, anon?
>>
>>101545893
Lisp.
>>
C
>>
>>101545893
COBOL
>>
>>101545893
Haskell, brainfuck, fortran, delphi and turbo pascal are the most usefull ones currently.

I wpuld also add brainfuck as a begginer-friendly language.
>>
>>101545978
why?
>>
Plankalkul, ALGOL 60, LISP, and PASCAL.
>>
>>101545893
learn c, make your own interpreter, emulate chip8, then snes, gba, ps1, ps2, ps3, switch in that order.
>>
>>101545996
It allows you to understand how code works on a lower level without all the complexity. Even if you move to a different language you can take what you learnt and write more efficient software.
>>
>>101545893
Bash. Bourne shell if you want to start smaller.
Also hear good things about KSH and esp. ZSH but didn't get to try them.
>>
>>101545893
Java, C++, Python. All you need
>>101546038
Troonixers not allowed here
>>101545992
Meme languages
>>101545990
Boomer language
>>
>>101545893
What do you plan on doing with it? And what do you plan on in the future?
>>
Oh wow i wasn’t expecting this thread to get so many responses
>>101546092
I was planning on learning a language to better understand how my computer works. My end goal is to write my own gui linux utilities specifically for my dad so he can breathe life into his shitty laptop & so he can use something i made despite being half the country away.
>>
>>101545893
C
Haskell
Forth
Prolog
APL
Smalltalk
>>
>>101546224
gui development on linux is a shitshow. the best toolkit is unironically electron with javascript
>>
>>101546038
I've never seen that movie but I'm surprised to see russian cars.
>>
>>101546345
I'm not sure if it's even an official poster
>>
>>101545893
Python, C# and Odin. You will never need anything more
>>
>>101546305
What makes it so bad? Is it just general drama i.e libadwatia & gtk4 or is it underlying codebase or something else?
>>
>>101546224
>My end goal is to write my own gui linux utilities
KEK, that's why I plan on getting into imGUI or rayGUI after I get more up to speed on C++ but this guy is right: >>101546305
Beyond that there is also Lazarus (Pascal) which has a RAD builder.
>>
C and Zig.
>>
>>101545893
k&r c
>>
one that is relatively simple, has good standard library and/or good ecosystem and probably manages memory for you

and one C-like lower level language.

I use Python/C# and Odin (I probably will look into Zig at some point, it seems like it's the worse language but it's the one getting all the hype currently)
>>
>>101545893
SQL
>inb4 not programming
>>
>>101546053
>C++
Neet / Linux user (same thing) obsolete language
>>101545893
Into web dev? Java
Everything else? C#
If you have a hard time learning C# you can start with Python which is the Ableton / Mac tier of generalist languages and then switch to C#
Don’t listen to C++/Linux spergs those troons never had a single job and never cared about getting one, now every single thing you can do in C++ you can also do in C#. Reverse is false
>>
C
>>
>>101546038
>whomai
>>
>>101546224
>I was planning on learning a language to better understand how my computer works
For that, C is the best option. But this may be at odds with your other goal - gui tools.
I'd advise you to start with your concrete goal of gui tools in whichever language is suitable for that (I dunno which). This might be enough to satisfy your goal of understanding your compute. If not, fall back to learning C afterward
>>
Do you want a job and to be able to get shit done? Python, Java, JS, C#, C++ if you can put in the time to git gud
Do you want to jerk off with unemployed autists on /g/? C, Haskell, Lisp, Rust, whatever

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.