[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/g/ - Technology

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File deleted.
Imagine what Linux could've been if GNOME did not exist
>>
>>101548124
It would be the same. There's a lot of demand for normified tablet-like UIs. If it wasn't GNOME, something else would have fulfilled the demand.
I've come around on GNOME. Still not going to use it, but I think there's nothing wrong with a desktop environment being opinionated or designed for normies. The important thing is to preserve choice and interoperability. This is also why I dislike Wayland.
The whole systemd/Wayland thing has convinced me that most people on Reddit and HN are absolute, utter morons. By any reasonable criteria, systemd is a vast improvement on the traditional Unix designs. It has made Linux systems faster, more robust, and easier to manage. Sometimes systemd picks the wrong default for a setting, but you can just change it, because the project has a history of bending over backwards to accommodate people's niche setups. But no, it doesn't follow the Sacred Unix Philosophy, so it's axiomatically bad and Poettering is axiomatically evil. Talking to the systemd-hating retards is like talking to a parrot who doesn't understand what you say and just repeats the words "Unix philosophy" over and over.
Wayland is the opposite. Look at their mailing lists and issue tracker, and it's clear that the project is run by jackasses with a decade-long history of saying "I personally don't see the use case, so we're not going to support the feature". Then they proceed to design the feature right out of the protocol, which is infinitely worse than picking a wrong default for a setting. Yet no matter how much the Wayland project fucks up, it's still axiomatically The Future and you're a senile boomer for not liking it. A whole hairball of an ecosystem has now grown around it, to fill in its deficiencies, and that's somehow still not enough of a hint.
In conclusion, universal foundational technologies should be held to a different standards than UIs you can choose. GNOME is fine as long as we have the choice not to use it.
>>
File: 1721825234685.jpg (137 KB, 1024x858)
137 KB
137 KB JPG
>>101549251
>>101548124
Gniggers get the rope
>>
>>101551130
>her
>>
>>101548124
Linux would not exist anymore since Qt was proprietary garbage back then.
>>
>>101549251
>GNOME
>designed for normies
That's Plasma.
>>
>>101553183
Hm, you think so? My impression is that young people these days are pretty used to phone/tablet UIs, and like to see them replicated on the desktop. Plasma strikes me more as something for the kind of person who was a Windows 7 power user, doing a decent amount of customization through the GUI.
>>
KDE/Qt would have evolved to be a legit alternative to Windows and OSX.
I hate license trannies so much it's unreal.
>>
>>101549652
>>101553948
But KDE also sucks donkey balls
>>
>>101548124
I want to make bread with her
>>
>>101548124
>>101548432
>>101550743
>>101551130
>>101554715
>another thinly veiled pedo thread
kill yourselves
>>
>>101554533
Now, it didn't back before Gay Trans Kit (GTK) was a thing.
>>
>>101554805
>Gnu Transition Toolkit
>Qtransition
is there any non-pozzed toolkit yet?
>>
>>101548124
Amiya
>>
>>101554835
Qt is pretty good, unironically.
>>
>>101548124
Less popular?
>>
GTK, Cinnamon, Mate, and Cosmic would not exist. Remember GNOME goes back to the early 2000s
>>
I still don't know what a "tablet UI" is or does.
>>
>>101558548
GTK was created for GIMP
>>
>>101554835
Iced
>>
>>101554835
Electron
>>
>>101559619
>Electroon
Yuck
>>
>>101559912
I was joking lol. Nobody wants laggy uncanny valley apps. Programs should respond instantly to user input.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.