[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/g/ - Technology

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: Password-Manager.png (68 KB, 900x471)
68 KB
68 KB PNG
Suppose you use a password manager and some sort of P2P/non-cloud syncing solution (like Syncthing) to keep it synchronised between your mobile and desktop PC. Now suppose you are on holiday (away from your house) and your phone gets either lost or stolen. What's the best way of ensuring you still have access to all your accounts (so you can e.g. log into your account so that you can use the "find my phone" feature and/or remotely disable it) without having to wait until you get back home to your desktop PC?
>>
Upload backup to cloud and download it from nearest secure computer
>>
>>101549418
But your cloud storage password is generated and stored in your password database (which is inaccessible).
>>
>>101549450
You should remember that password in your head. It doesn't make sense to keep a backup of your passwords locked behind a password that's stored in the backup itself. That's putting the cart before the horse. Also using cloud storage comes with the risk of your password file being leaked through data breach or being intercepted while you upload/download it and being decrypted in the future with better technology. Offers some convenience though.
>>
I use this:
username = base36(tuplehash(31, masterpassword, domain))
password = z85(tuplehash(128, masterpassword, domain, username))
keypair = ed25519(tuplehash(256, masterpassword, "ed25519", identity))
tuplehash(output_bits, t_1, ..., t_n) = shake128(t_1 || length(t_1) || ... || t_n || length(t_n) || n || output_bits)
>>
>>101549493
>decrypted in the future with better technology
How reasonable a concern is this? My password is 32 characters.
>>
>>101549567
https://eprint.iacr.org/2019/272.pdf
>>
>>101549493
But is there some alternative solution to this problem without uploading your password database to cloud storage? It's not desirable due to the reasons you mentioned, which is why people use non-cloud password managers in the first place.

Maybe you could carry around a USB flash drive with a copy of the password database with you as you travel? But then if that gets stolen then you're passwords are also vulnerable to getting stolen if someone can crack the master password. And if you were to use an additional key file that wasn't saved on the flash drive, you'd need to find a way of accessing the key file in emergencies too.
>>
>>101549549
>master password gets compromised
>all your accounts are breached without anyone needing to gain access to your PC
>>
>>101549691
How would the master password get compromised without anyone gaining access to my PC?
Anyways, I have a raspberry pi 1 for that.
>>
>>101549720
>accidentally type master password into Chrome
>someone watches you over your shoulder as you type it
>someone beats you with a crowbar until you tell them
Even though these things apply to standard password managers with a master password too, the point is that you're supposed to have multiple layers of security instead of just one.
>>
>>101549842
>accidentally type master password into Chrome
I don't ever do that
>someone watches you over your shoulder as you type it
impossible
>someone beats you with a crowbar until you tell them
you are grasping at straws
>>
>>101549389
I have only ipad and iphone. while my phone has nfc, unfortunately the ipad has lightning and no nfc so I can’t use my security key to lock my apple account entirely for both devices. Therefore I have to know my apple password. Not like it matters in my case, that’s only if I decide to buy apple devices again.
Find my is turned off. I don’t care to be part of a botnet and I don’t care if my phone is taken or stolen from me, there is nothing there. I don’t even need apple. So long as I have mental stability and my security key I just need any computer to access my email.
I have a keepass setup. My database is on my iPad, iphone, and my email file manager. I use the Bluetooth copy paste feature between my devices to sync databases together with my email.
So long as I can access my email on any PC and have my nfc compatible security key (of which I have 2 spares, one on my keychain) I can retrieve my password database wherever I want.
I would use a flash drive but lightning makes that a pain in the ass and it’s not worth the extra expense if all I’m gonna use it for is storing my passwords. I dont have anything worth storing offline otherwise

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.