[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/g/ - Technology

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1721840867797.jpg (157 KB, 640x853)
157 KB
157 KB JPG
Do you salvage anything from old computers? I take the power supplies, the batteries, and the fans and heatsinks from old computers.
>>
>>101552856
>How do you decide what hardware is useless?
err
when it doesnt work anymore?

i wouldnt be running anything before P4, but am currently using an old ass currybook from 2008 as internet facing machine/scraper
>>
>>101552886
I have a bunch of old desktops that work but aren't power efficient. I don't really have a good use for them and there's a lot since I was gifted a few. I have some c2d, i3-i5 from 2000,4000 and I calculated the power efficiency, I can use a modern PC and the vms it could run are better than with these.
Is the device you use now good enough for you?
>>
>>101552961
yeah
its not the only device i use tho
im actually shitposting from a DT i usually use for gayming, and some light work, and have one more machine i use for serious work only

the currybook is the only old pos im currently using, but before my last DT gave up, i was using an fx 8350 in that role.
i also have a P4 somewhere im keeping for when im gonna play around with robotics.
i keep it for my usb experimentations specifically- i wouldnt want to fuck up a machine i actually need with my first attempts at usb port protocol (i might have to get something even older if i go the lpt connector route)

i dont care much about electricity so i tend to re-use older hardware where i dont need actual computing power
otherwise home servers are a popular use of obsolescing equipment.
>>
File: 1623709776842.jpg (57 KB, 704x540)
57 KB
57 KB JPG
>>101552856
Ever come by a rotting war machine from WWII or some other war and feel bad for that once formidable machine slowly being claimed by entropy?
Just got that feel when I saw that picture.
>>
>>101552856
Hardware is kept together in the same package until it can no longer perform it's given task. Then I chuck it and put a different computer in it's place. Rarely I can salvage an atx power supply or fan.
Laptops, desktop, rpis even phones can be used until they physically break.
>>
>>101552856
>How do you decide what hardware is useless?
Does it work for my use-case? Yes? Then it's perfectly useful
>>
>>101554640
>Ever come by a rotting war machine from WWII
no
>>
>>101553108
I'm retarded I don't know how to use processing power besides chrome and games lol gotta start somewhere.
>>
>>101552856
>power supplies
Yeah, but only until I've got a decent amount. Newer ones are more efficient. Still handy if you need to help somebody with a fucked CPU out.

> batteries
What for? Chances to encounter this exact same kind of laptop again are usually slim. Or do you mean RTC batteries? In a salvage machine these are usually old enough to only have a trickle charge left, if that.

> fans and heatsinks
Yeah.

You also forgot
> RAM
Doesn't take up a lot of space and may come in handy for fixing/upgrading a different machine later.

> Graphics cards
In a somewhat modern computer you may find ones usable for stable diffusion.

> drives of any kind
Hard drives are always useful for lab machines. Other drives can come in handy when the need to read/write exotic media such as CDs, floppies or even fucking ZIP disks arises.

> case
You can put any contemporary board in a ATX case so fuck paying the china case kikes 50 bucks every time you build a machine that just needs to go into something.

> SATA cables, PSU Y adapters and the like

Mainboards/CPUs I usually bin because nobody here tosses anything younger than 3rd generation i3/i5/i7. 8th generation i3/i5/i7 I'd keep, but older stuff isn't worth it due to shitty power draw/performance ratio.
>>
>>101557559
The PSUs can be used for other reasons like to power other devices. I usually take the batteries out of laptops for 18650s, ram and cpu are already taken
>>
>>101555798
Go to a museum, it'll do you good
>>
>>101552961
>power efficient
That's kind of the rub isn't it. I have a few older systems that I could use for self hosting projects, but they're so ineffective that if I ran them for any longer than a year it would be more economical to just buy newer, low power, hardware.
Of course fans can always be reused after a cleaning, old HDDs can be used as a backup/temporary storage, and PSUs can be good to have around as spares. But as for MOBOs, CPUs, and old RAM there's not much use I've found.
>>
>>101554640
I have a book that was written and printed before WW2, and I know it will degrade eventually. It was at a used book store, I didn't find out how old it was until after I bought it.
>>
>>101552856
I just keep the whole old machine, it's good to have a spare PC for emergencies.
>>
The.. batteries?
>>
>>101552856
Everything until I decide its just taking space for years.
>>
>>101552856
hardware is never useless, unless it's broken, but you can outlive it.
could still be good for someone else though.
>>
>>101552856
If it works, I put it in an ESD bag. If it doesn't work and I can't fix it with basic effort (replacing caps, etc), then it gets recycled.
>>
>>101552856
I never sell anything
>>
>>101552856
Everything I do not reasonably expect to use which is a lot of shit. I paid for my space when I bought my home and intend to enjoy it. I keep choice components but hoarding everything just wastes space then someone else will scrap it later.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.