[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/g/ - Technology

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: shot5.png (759 KB, 2048x1802)
759 KB
759 KB PNG
>inb4 buy an ad
>too poor
hello g, i have been working on a website for the last 3 weeks and wanted to get your feedback.

i dont like reddit (but like some features), i like it here, i like x. so i've kind of combined different parts of each to create a new website. it has threads, multiquote, media upload, etc. and I'm working on a fully anon mode as well. you'll be able to click the logo at the top, and it will switch everything anon. further down the road i want to add post imbues (like item imbues) that you can buy w karma, gamify everything.

but, i also want the product to be built by ppl from here. so i want you as my users, and i want you to define the sites destiny. what features are important, which ones aren't important, which ones are completely retarded, etc etc

so check it out and let me know what you think: akachik.com. i look forward to your ego destroying comments.

p.s. it's buggy and features are missing. email is required but it's not verified so you can put whatever. the splash page looks like absolute shit on light mode rn.
>>
>>101557520
Don't have karma impact visibility and have the ratings be invisible to anyone but the post creator.
>>
>>101557595
>Don't have karma impact visibility
what do you mean by this? in the store, I plan to show how much karma will be destroyed by buying items.

>>101557595
>have the ratings be invisible to anyone but the post creator.
I can get behind this. it would be good to have karma be more of a currency than something everyone sees. people can't see the gold in your bag, so why should they see your karma
>>
>>101557681
>what do you mean by this? in the store, I plan to show how much karma will be destroyed by buying items.
to expound on karma: there will be karma and shadow karma. shadow karma is gained while anon, and in a diff way (because it's more diff to calc anon karma and keep the user anon). because of this, shadow karma will be more valuable. the stores will be different in each mode as well.
>>
>>101557681
Ah, don't worry about it: I initially thought karma would operate the way it does on Reddit where low-karma posts get auto-hidden, but you're implementing a different system, ignore my comment about impacting visibility.
>>
>>101557782
np. yeah, I hate reddits karma system and their mod system. mods won't be able to do anything about user posts (no removing, hiding, etc) in our channels, but they'll be incentivized in other ways.
>>
shameless bump
>>
>>101557520
i mean i'm not gonna use it, but by actually making it you're already better than 95% of /g/ so congrats, hope it goes well
>>
>>101558842
thanks, appreciate the support
>>
im not using social media made to the tastes of someone who unironically likes microblogging

the hardest part is getting users, and dealing with the kind of trash these initial users usually are. Posting the link to 4chan is already a mistake, get ready for a flood of drawings of ugly bearded men
>>
File: ac.png (6 KB, 690x440)
6 KB
6 KB PNG
it just loads infinitely for me
>>
>>101559236
>the hardest part is getting users, and dealing with the kind of trash these initial users usually are.
indeed

>>101559634
>it just loads infinitely for me
what page are you on? just trying to sign up?
>>
>>101557520
This sounds cool af.
You probably won't ever get enough traction to get money out of it.
You could go linus mode and open source it to get a chance on it being popular.

Make a repo on GitHub, i wanna collaborate as well, if possiblr
>>
>>101559994
thanks!

yeah, it's going to be tough getting traction but its a bit of a passion project, so fun to work on.

will think about open sourcing and post here if i decide to
>>
>>101557520
The looks of a website don't matter much anymore, so that's whatever.
Do you have a plan to deal with illegal content? You have to get rid of it automatically before report bots come across it. Not only will you have to remove illegal content automatically, you'll also have to remove anything that pisses off your hosts, registrar, payment processor, advertisers.
What about spammers? You mentioned mods can't remove posts, but they should be able to remove spam. Spam isn't a message. It's just noise.
Do you have a plan to scale up? Ideally you want a lot of growth and your servers have to handle it.
Where do you think you're going to get your users from and why should they leave where they already are? Nothing kills a new community these days like people showing up, realizing there's not many people to talk to, and going back to some place where there are. You have to have a plan to make the site interesting and worth checking back in on even at low user counts. I'd suggest having RSS feeds or something that lets people know that there's something new, that's out of the way but not too out of the way, but that's going to limit your initial pool to users who can handle an RSS reader. And search engines don't index or pull many results from community websites anymore. You have to shill on other community sites, who will ban you for doing this.
>>
>>101557520
Add browsing without an account. I shouldn't need an account to look at posts.
>>
>>101557520
create a light mode
I don't want to see bright white text on jet black backing
>>
I can't sign up. Just loads forever. In the network tab, it looks like it tries to hit up localhost:3000 instead of your server, pls fix.
>>
>>101560694
oh! don't know why it was working on mine. just pushed a fix
>>
>>101560605
will do, thanks for the feedback

>>101560586
will do, right now you can see a channel without the account. i will add it for more, and have a public feed
>>
>>101560605
He already did that. It depends on if the browser thinks dark mode is on or not.

Looks like changes to the user's profile picture and banner images don't stick. I like how it seems to accept animated GIFs but like, that's something that's got to stay when you change it. Like I upload something on the "Avatar" section, and click on anything else in the left column, and oh it's back to the solid color circle again.

Also, posts I make should probably be sorted most recent first on the "Home" page. I mean actually it would be nice to sort them either way but users are going to want their own posts sorted most recently by default.

If I post something it should probably show up in the home/feed page automatically after I do that, I shouldn't have to manually refresh the page.
>>
>>101561337
>Looks like changes to the user's profile picture and banner images don't stick.
looking into this now
>>
File: snapshot4.png (53 KB, 1050x645)
53 KB
53 KB PNG
>i look forward to your ego destroying comments.
What you should be more worried about are hackers and skiddies destroying your shit because you forgot to clean a query or something.

You're hashing passwords right? What language is it written in?
I have some free time and kind of interested in this project. My account is @Artics
Criticisms:

It just looks too much like Twitter. inb4 "looks don't matter" or "that's what he is going for". There's a unicode character next to the logo that doesn't load, you shouldn't assume browsers can load special characters like that unless you specifically embed your own font. There's no way to switch to dark mode when my browser defaults to bright, but there are some elements that seem to use a dark mode stylesheet.
Please consider making the front end from basic HTML. It will be easier to maintain in the long run and has more sovl.
>>
>>101561416
>You're hashing passwords right?
supabase auth

>>101561416
>What language is it written in?
go

>>101561416
>It just looks too much like Twitter.
i agree w this completely. i wanted to change it before putting it out there but i also just needed to get it out there. i want it to encourage more long form content, not short form like twitter

>>101561416
>There's a unicode character next to the logo that doesn't load
very good to know
>>
>>101561337
>Looks like changes to the user's profile picture and banner images don't stick.
pushed a possible fix for this. let me know if it doesnt work.

>>101561337
>Also, posts I make should probably be sorted most recent first on the "Home" page. I mean actually it would be nice to sort them either way but users are going to want their own posts sorted most recently by default.
>If I post something it should probably show up in the home/feed page automatically after I do that, I shouldn't have to manually refresh the page.
good commetns, getting to work on these
>>
Good stuff OP, keep it up. Let's all use OP's site for a while, this is how projects grow.
>>
>>101561585
thanks so much man
>>
File: 1705197627436925.gif (903 KB, 240x176)
903 KB
903 KB GIF
>>101557520
>yet another website
Oh man, not another one!
>>
>>101561657
it never ends
>>
>>101560605
>create a light mode
>>101561337 is correct but i will add a toggle

>>101561337
>Also, posts I make should probably be sorted most recent first on the "Home" page.
this is fixed

making it show up automatically is next
>>
>>101557520
how to make your site better than twitter:
>3 column desktop mode
>proper fucking galleries, let us make art folders and groups for fanbases n shit
>comic support
much love from a disillusioned drawfag

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.