[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/g/ - Technology

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: images.png (4 KB, 339x149)
4 KB
4 KB PNG
sel4 seems to be the most robust and active microkernel OS out there. how come it isn't more used and talked about? am i missing some drama?
>>
>>101559600
It doesn't look like there are any operating systems using it, I'd have to do everything myself.
>>
>>101559600
I think it would be much better received here if the seL4 dev went to live in the woods and mailed out some pipe bombs to people. Or at least went on some schizophrenia-induced rants about CIA and then got hit by a train.
>>
an OS for computer controlled machinery isn't necessarily suited to sending email and browsing the internet
>>
>>101559600
how is it better than sel3 and sel2?
>>
>>101560303
It's like some companies don't even care about marketing anymore.
>>
>>101559600
Isn't it impossible to get it to run on a vm without having a phd? I don't think they even offer binaries.
It's not one of the most used microkernels by far, Minix or Mach are much easier to run on a PC.
>>
>>101559600
Is this the one with a full proof of correctness?
>>
>>101559600
redpill me on it, I remember seeing somewhere there was a linux distro that used something like this. In terms of why it's not popular, its likely the same problem Plan 9 and *BSD systems have where they may in theory be a better designed system, but the anons on this board have a limit to their autism and won't use something beyond the linux kernel if their CPU isn't even guaranteed to work with it.
>>
>>101563721
>requires phd to run on a vm
i played around with camkes couple years ago and i'm a highschool dropout
just rtfm, chromosome hoarder
>>
>>101559600
>how come it isn't more used and talked about?
too technical for /g/
>>
>relies on a verification toolchain that accepts phase-2 UBs
>single core
>zero applications
>abysmal documentation
>devs actively hostile to POSIX
retarded bait for college students
>>
>>101566759
>>devs actively hostile to POSIX
As they should be, if they care about security.
>>
>>101566851
What's insecure about user permissions?
>>
>>101566759
BASED
>>
>>101564697
Hmm. Ok, fair enough.
But the insult was unwarranted.
>>
>>101566759
>relies on a verification toolchain that accepts phase-2 UBs
By that you mean the proofs accept undefined behavior for some inputs? Where are you getting that from?
>>
>>101560411
There is no seL2/seL3.
>>101564629
nto. seL4 is a from scratch microkernel inspired by and based on L4 which was a continuation/reimplementatiom of L3 (it's the first iteration). L3 and Mach were some of the first microkernels to exist and showed off its capabilities and advantages over monolithic kernels. seL4 apparently is also end to end verified with a focus on security (https://trustworthy.systems/projects/OLD/l4.verified/home.pml/)
>>101559600
Off the top of my head, I really only knew about KataOS (likely part of the Google graveyard now) and Robigalia OS. Plus they only seem to care for ARM and Risc-V at the moment. They only seem to care for embedded markets and barely have drivers. Apparently they want to make a toolkit for making OS called MicroKit and a reference OS called LionsOS (https://docs.sel4.systems/projects/roadmap.html/).

Here's a list of projects I found on their website: https://docs.sel4.systems/CommunityProjects.html
Here's another website: https://www.osrtos.com/rtos/sel4/

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.