[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/g/ - Technology

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1720377375074827.jpg (52 KB, 563x349)
52 KB
52 KB JPG
STEMcel here. I just want to make it clear, if it isn't already, that I am not aiming to be some high-end software dev. I am someone with a background in biology/chemistry who is in gradschool for bioinformatics. I'm just a codemonkey learning to apply already developed programing techniques in my field.

With that out of the way I would like to hear suggestions and tips from more experienced programers here. My studies are going great so far. My main method of learning is internalising the info in my literature/resources and applying it to novel problems. But sometimes I believe I rely too much on memorisation for certain aspects. I know it's unavoidable but still. I mostly rely on trial and error over a certain period until I feel comfortable with my newly gained knowledge. Like with anything else I guess this is all there is to it? I mostly work with MATLAB, python and R if that helps.
>>
Don't know what you're trying to accomplish with this thread. You learn programming like you learn anything, deliberate practice. If you're in grad school you should already know that.
>>
>>101559760
>I guess this is all there is to it?
find market needs, create software, deploy software, monetize or share on github, repeat
>>
Codecademy
>>
>>101560083
I do but this is new territory for me and I like gathering opinions of more experienced people.
>>
life sciences in 2024... you're 20 years late to the party bud. i hope you enjoy fucking around with pipettes for minimum wage.
>>
>>101559760
Is this that dog from that show Martha Speaks?
>>
Read other people's code from time to time to pick things up.
Coming from C, learning Python, I did
text=""
for i in range(0,8)
text += ("\n" if i else "") + str(i)
return text

first instead of
return "\n".join([f"{x}" for x in range (0,8)])

now.

Being able to solve those things in one-liners frees up the mind to think about other things.
Try to just improve your code-fu, with you studies I suppose you have enough practical
>>
>>101560149
this is 4chan, go work on self-confidence king
>>
>>101563291
Will do king
>>
>>101561302
Nah bioinfo is great and a developing field
>>101561820
Yeah
>>101561931
It's really fun progressing with experience and optimising/shortening your code.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.