[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/g/ - Technology

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: advantages.jpg (186 KB, 801x534)
186 KB
186 KB JPG
What's the best tiling WM for...
>great customizability?
>most features?
>good out-of-the-box experience with sensible keybindings already picked for me?
>>
awesome wm
>>
hyprland
>>
>>101564651
>>great customizability?
stumpwm and it's not even close. It's the Emacs of window managers. You can connect to it and deeply modify it with Lisp while it's running.
>>most features?
Idk. Maybe awesome?
>>good out-of-the-box experience with sensible keybindings already picked for me?
i3. It has a decent default configuration, very easy configuration format, and a great user guide. Enough features that you don't need to add external stuff. It's in maintenance mode, with bug fixes and small improvements added but no sweeping changes anymore, so a good choice if you want to pick once and use it for the next decade.
>>
dwm
>>
what's the use case?
>>
>>101565356
Use case of what? Tiling WMs?
>>
>>101564671
Seconded. awesome is programmable in lua. It's sort of a framework with an excellent default implementation of a wm. It's not purely a tiling wm.
>>
>>101564753
Isn't that the one where you have to edit source and recompile on each config change?
>>
>>101565380
It's the ebussy meme, ignore it.
>>
>>101565356
To make windows appear on my screen when I press keys on my keyboard. I like this more than clicking buttons on my screen with my mouse.
>>
>>101566674
>To make windows appear on my screen when I press keys on my keyboard.
I have keyboards shortcuts for that on my DE. if that's your only reason to use a WM it's not worth it
>>
I love i3
I also use xcape to make caps lock behave like escape when it's pressed and released on its own but when I hold it down it works as the modifier key for i3 so I can manage windows with it. setup works gr8 for me
>>
>>101566723
Oh, that's pretty nice. I just use Caps Lock as Control (yes I use Emacs how could you tell?)
>>
>>101564651
The toughest part of tiling for me is getting a consistent height. With spacers and a laser level, it’s easy enough to get a nice grid set up. But it’s hard to make sure each tile is level within the mortar
>>
File: buttersugoi.jpg (239 KB, 2000x1414)
239 KB
239 KB JPG
for me it's dwl-guile
https://github.com/engstrand-config/dwl-guile
>>
>>101564651
xmonad
>>
File: ebassi.jpg (23 KB, 474x474)
23 KB
23 KB JPG
>>101566674
That's your misconception.
>>
>>101564671
fpbp but bspwm is also very nice.
>>
>>101564671
didn't it dwindle in popularity because of never-fixed memory leaks?
>>
>>101564651
i3
>>
>>101568458
Not him, I've heard that from anons here but I haven't seen it myself. I use Awesome exclusively nowadays and have had no obvious memory leaks.
>>
>>101566886
Oh, so it's a Scheme-based WM? Sounds cool, is it as configurable as stumpwm?

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.