[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/g/ - Technology

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1016475328.jpg (126 KB, 1170x865)
126 KB
126 KB JPG
What's the worst thing that can happen privacy/security-wise if I plug an ethernet cable from my pc to my router? Could the router see the files in my pc? Perhaps I should ask what's the most information the router can get with that ethernet cable? Unencrypted HTTP traffic, MAC address, device's name (I know because I can see it in the router's config page, but I'm not sure how it gets it exactly), am I missing something?
And second, suppose there's a malicious device connected to the same router, like a windows laptop. Can the windows laptop do anything bad to my pc? Please help me get this straight guys
>>
>>101569674
Sorry I couldn't reduce file size by at least 50%. I got rid of the jpeg artefacting though.

https://files.catbox.moe/nhxmc2.avif
>>
>>101569674
You don't know enough about the topic at hand to ask the questions you would actually need to ask to get the information you want, and even if someone asked and answered those questions for you then you still wouldn't understand those answers.
Don't plug your shit into networks/devices you don't trust and go read CCNA study guides if you care enough to start learning the how and why of it.
>>
>>101569674
Yes to all. Everyone is spying on you all the time. I am inside your walls.
>>
>>101569805
>even if someone asked and answered those questions for you then you still wouldn't understand those answers.
CHALLENGE ACCEPTED

>>101569674
I am going to assume good faith here, which is probably a mistake. None of the questions that you ask are based in objective reality, and they all seem like questions that would be bait for privacyfags to freak out about.
Devices on your network, including your router, will only see things that your computer shares. Do you have file sharing enabled? Devices on your network will see that it's enabled. Do you have anonymous / unauthenticated file sharing enabled? If so, then devices on your network will be able to look at the files you've shared in this way. Turning on file sharing is something you have to do on purpose. If you have not turned it on, then you are probably safe.
Your router will be able to inspect any network packet that passes through it. That's the job of a router. It will apply networking rules to each packet it sees and route it where it needs to go. There can be things on a router that will look deeper into each packet in order to help apply networking rules. Usually this is for things like bandwidth management ("quality of service") to help, say, prioritize voice traffic over web browsing. If your router has been compromised, then it may be doing anything to those packets, from discarding them to forwarding them to some evil third party. But this doesn't happen to normal people and doesn't really happen in the real world at all.
It's good to be worried about these things in the abstract, but the specific worries you have are overblown and you don't actually need to concern yourself with them outside of common sense practices to keep you and your data safe.
>>
>>101569674
The issue is exploits, man in the middle, tampering traffic, being served false websites and so on
Usually what cause troubles to random people is doing that with network file sharing on, the rest is more rare but can happen
>>
>>101569970
>I am going to assume good faith here
I'm asking in good faith don't worry, I wrote the post in a slightly silly manner on purpose, but I do want to be sure about what I'm doing before mindlessly plugging in the ethernet cable into the router and let things happen
>Do you have file sharing enabled?
I don't know, I'm on an Arch installation and I don't think I've tried enabling that, nor would I know how to do it. How do I quickly check that in the os or in the router? Also, I don't have a firewall if that's relevant, technically the router already has one itself?
>Do you have anonymous / unauthenticated file sharing enabled?
Same here
>If so, then devices on your network will be able to look at the files you've shared in this way
Both the windows laptop and the router, right? But very briefly, what information would they see by default and is it indeed something I shouldn't worry about?
And thanks a lot for the serious answer, it's the first useful one I've got after asking for a while

>>101570021
How would a home router get exploited realistically? Through malicious devices connected to it?
>>
>>101570789
>Through malicious devices connected to it?
Yes, can be a malicious user or some automatic bot, would rely on some exploit and outdated firmware
Stuff like interception can be done without an exploit at all though
>>
>>101570789
Check open ports, the arch wiki should have something on it.
You should only have ports open for TCP, UDP, NTP, DNS and a handful of other ports (the ports are numbers, the letters are protocols that use them) just make sure you don't have port 22 open, that's used by ssh and seems to be most commonly exploited in the wild.

I'd recommend firewalling everything, i.e. arch it's self, the router, etc. however that's quite the advanced topic and it's easy to block network access so proceed at your own peril.
>>
>>101570846
How is that even possible when essentially all that gets transferred is network packets?
>>
File: #arlefuri GTUyNmva4AAYbN8.jpg (652 KB, 2352x1846)
652 KB
652 KB JPG
>>101569674
>>
>>101572884
What do you think a network packet is? It's a box, it contains things, if the box contains heavy elements it will mutate anything not protected.

Good ol' CSS injection happens when a string parser doesn't sanitize it's input, this is achieved with sending network packets.

Connecting to SSH as root because you left 'login as root' and 'password login' on LAN is done through network packets.

Think of your comfuser as an office, if the postal service delivers a badUSB and because of mismanagement the mailman brings the usb to the CEO's laptop and plugs it in, now the whole company is held for ransom.

The packets aren't special, it's what's in 'em and what your 'fuser does with it.
>>
>>101569674
Seggs with Furry-na.
>>
>>101569674
Don't care, sex with Furina
>>
File: 1721957209638.jpg (699 KB, 734x1000)
699 KB
699 KB JPG
>>101569674
Assuming you're on at least Windows 8.1 the router would not be able to see your files unless you've deliberately gone out of your way to expose/share them as network folders.
>And second, suppose there's a malicious device connected to the same router, like a windows laptop. Can the windows laptop do anything bad to my pc?
Being directly connected to the same network as a malicious attacker is always bad and always carries an increased possibility of risk.
Avoid that regardless of OS.

+ nak@dashi freena
>>
File: 1721957508215.png (146 KB, 802x711)
146 KB
146 KB PNG
>>101569674
>>
>>101574267
eat shit you nigger faggot frog
>>
>>101574267
anime website
>>
So basically should I just plug the ethernet cable in without worrying? If the only realistic problems are file sharing (probably disabled) and a windows laptop (maybe I can sandbox myself out of it somehow)?
Also what does your setup even look like guys? Just your average default home router setup or?
>>
>>101577123
bump

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.