[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/g/ - Technology

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

What's the last CPU that can run 98 without modifications (besides PATCHMEM) and use PCIe cards?
Will a Sempron 145 work?
>>
It's more dependent on whether the chipset of your motherboard has a driver for it, including AHCI/SATA. But I think the chipsets available for Sempron 145's AM3 socket only go as far back as Windows XP.
>>
>>101572259
Is PCIe universal though? I think people got it working on Ryzen and a card with an IDE port
>>
there's no one single correct answer, because there are tricks to getting all sorts of unsupported platforms to run win98, such as Intel P35 via INI hack.
>>
Look it's a bunch of shit. CPU and ram. 98 can only take 1GB before it shits. Drive capacity is another. 120GB is the max due to boards of that era lacking LBA48 support and the whole FAT32 thing. They do make ide to sata adapters, no pci card required. It's a bridge chip more or less.
>>
>>101572197
>98
>and use PCIe cards
Ehh... this is impossible?
Is there a way 98 "knows" how to communicate with PCIe?
It needs a driver, did anyone ever write one?
>>
>>101575626
Many early PCIe cards were actually just AGP cards with AGP-to-PCIe-bridge chips with them. Those work fine with Win98.
>>
File: omores win98.png (193 KB, 1280x1024)
193 KB
193 KB PNG
>>101572197
without mods or patches? i think the fastest officially supported platforms are lga775 and socket 939, but don't quote me on that. i've heard there's an am2 board with official 98 drivers (the asus m2v), but i can't find them on asus's website. also, win9x in general is janky as fuck and hates running properly on anything after the early 2000s, so i'd recommend doing your own research on places like vogons
unofficially? i've seen people running it on raptor lake, but i'm not sure if even i'd recommend doing that for anything other than shits and giggles
>>
>running windows
>baremetal
>ever
>>
>>101576982
Not necessarily supported, just will technically run even if it requires copying an existing installation
>>
>>101576597
I wouldn't say "many" it was basicly just the FX and 6 series of Nvidia cards.
And its still being translated to PCIe, Win98 has zero way of accessing the PCIe memory space, its WAY beyond the range that PCI+AGP operate in.
>>
>>101572197
Depends, but the Pentium 4 series is pretty much supported across the board.
>>
>>101576982
papes please
>>
>>101572197
I remember seeing a guy on YT running W98 on bare metal on a Ryzen 3900X, so quite a modern CPU. I believe he was running it on an AM4 mobo with PCI slots though, I imagine it may not work on just any mobo since W98 probably doesn't have support for PCIe.
>>
>>101580700
You can do this on any modern PC really.
Win98 is still able to access video via the BIOS and VESA, and there is an open source VESA drive. So you can get it up and running, but you're not going to have sound, etc
>>
>>101572197
You can run it on a i9 14900kf if your motherboard has pci slots for the GPU. There was some anon with one. You can buy motherboards that do this with built in serial ports. There's a lot of businesses that rely on Windows 9x still and it's not that hard to acquire.
>>
any intel cpu i think but only up to very early core 2 duo boards support 98 officially
>>
>>101581812
>LGA 775
Yup, fully Win98 compatible, but often not sold as such since the boards were really more minded for XP.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.