[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/g/ - Technology

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: file.png (272 KB, 1891x999)
272 KB
272 KB PNG
Damn, it has a shit ton of packages
>>
That's why the number of installed packages is a useless metric for minimalism.
Latex is bloated, but if you need/want to use it then the number of installed package will grow big time.
>>
>>101572945
Package splitting is retarded most of the time.
>>101572650
https://github.com/rstudio/tinytex-releases
You can get a minimal working LaTeX in 66MB.
>>
>>101573360
>minimal working LaTeX install in 66 MB
As soon as you need to compile an actually practical document you'll need to install more packages. Starting with a minimal install isn't a terrible idea, as long as you're willing to spend a bunch of time figuring out which additional packages you actually need, and installing new packages as you realize you need them.
>>
>>101575987
You're describing a barebones install.
That's TinyTeX-0, 800KB
TinyTex-1 is 66MB and enough for most things.
TinyTeX normal is 188MB and almost certainly has everything you need.
>>
I use overleaf limited but more then good enough
>>
>>101572650
That's a Fedora problem, Debian does texlive packaging well
>>
>>101572650
install tectonic. typst is kinda acceptable as well but doesn't look as good yet. its worth for the sane compile times and errors alone.
>>
>>101576610
how is it different from latexmk?
>>
>>101572650
Waste of time editor. Every document (including thesis to a point) I made took longer to do basic things than actually writing it, for example my thesis productivity was minimal until I went back to word. Its not too bad it just needs to make stuff you do all the time, not so tedious and prone to insane errors.

For example, I can’t remember exactly but the margins or something of the sort are inherently broken unless you put a fix in.

It’s the Vim of text editors, tedious but people use it to emulate their mentors
>>
>>101576146
anything more than plain TeX is bloat
>>
I'd genuinely recommend trying out Typst if you're discovering LaTeX in [current year], download the compiler and the VScode extension and you're good to go.
>>
>>101577100
latex is not an editor, you're a retard. margins aren't broken, your universitys academic coordinators or whatever retard employees who criticized your thesis are grifters. They could very easily provide a latex package that has all the necessary macros for theses but they would not have a job then. Typical university grifting, university employees are scum.
>>
>>101577100
Same thing happened at my work. Latex guy wanted everyone to write specs in latex to be version controlled by git. Project never finished because everyone was wasting time trying to convert natural language into code when all we really needed was a handful of powerpoint slides in a shared folder.
>>
>>101577983
Couldn't that have been done in markdown?
>>
>LaTeX
>write macro
>works perfectly
>use in table
>600 errors, retarded useless error messages
It's so tiresome. I want to use Typst but its layouts look bad and it can't do floats
>>
>>101579995
>can't do floats
Is this what you're looking for: https://typst.app/docs/reference/model/figure/
>>
File: lo-writer.jpg (169 KB, 1280x720)
169 KB
169 KB JPG
libreoffice writer is so comfy bros... why latex?
you can set your own styles for paragraphs, headers, tables.
you can use zotero for referencemaxxing
>>
>>101580345
because i cant use my autistically personalized emacs setup and bindings in it
>>
latex modules have such poor documentation and maintenance it's unreal
>>
>>101580345
its slow using vim is faster even when dealing with latex errors. texmacs has the same problem despite offering the best oob experience. I do like using writer for a first draft though.
>>
Hey w tf LaTeX what RKS lamo
>>
>project package.json 100MB node_modules sooo bad lmao webshits
>cryptic poorly documented boomerware on OS level installing 6 million random packages you even won't use, totaling multiple gigabytes big brained and academic science
>>
>>101577983
nigger should learn about markdown
he requires a stinger missile to hunt a fly
maybe dont recruit retards next time
>>
>>101580345
>bloated and stupid
>not easy to setup bindings
>setting up bibliography and references not as easy as in latex
>furries
>>
>>101586024
> just install one package
> no errors
> bibliography easier than latex (thanks zotero)
> you can share the file with people around you

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.