[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/g/ - Technology

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: thinkstation p360 ultra.jpg (106 KB, 1200x800)
106 KB
106 KB JPG
why can't regular case manufactures make cases like this? what's stopping them?
>>
>>101573369
I guess they have to comply with ATX standard, while Lenovo can do fun things with it's mobo/backplanes.
>>
File: th-1323831646.jpg (73 KB, 474x474)
73 KB
73 KB JPG
What's the use CASE?
>>
>>101573369
Anon, ITX...
>>
Probably the fact they can only fit exactly the components they were designed for, so custome motherboard, custom CPU cooler, custom power supply, etc.
>>
>>101573415
>>101573381
>>101573434
i'm not talking about the form factor per se, but the design itself. there are similarly shaped and sized cases out there, most 99% of them look like flimsy pieces of scrap metal. lenovo's cases just look nice
>>
>>101573369
SFF/ITX is a niche
you can find compact cases but it’s a very small selection
>>
>>101573474
I guess it's because Lenovo cases are made of a bit thick stamped metal, are rounded (thus visually making it appear thicker) have a nice coat and are crowned with thick plastic parts. Probably who designed them also is a professional designer, or has a designer giving input.
This other case is too square, has no coat, has visible screws and looks too spartan, but in a bad way. Looks like somebody put in CAD two or three planes and sent it to a CNC cutter.
>>
>>101573369
>>101573474
It is easier to do more fancy design features when your making cases in the quantity that they are.
Lenovo alone probably makes more of those cases than all the DIY brands combined making similar style and size of cases.
>>
>>101573689
Yeah, this is other reason: economy of scale. Even accounting paying a designer it's cheaper for Lenovo to make a nice looking case.
>>
>>101573369
lack of retardation
>>
File: file.jpg (23 KB, 800x800)
23 KB
23 KB JPG
>>101573481
>ITX is a niche
Amongst /v/tards like you, maybe.
(m)ITX is likely the most common "desktop" (i.e. non-portable permanent) x86 IBM-compatible in existence, but you probably don't notice these things anymore at the government offices, since you can literally just tape them under the desk nowadays.
>>
>>101574811
that's a mini pc, not an ITX SFF build, retard
>>
>>101574816
SFF is for the /v/tards, Anon, but you clearly are not aware of the gigantic amount of thin-clients we inevitably, as a human species, have left-over from offices everytime they upgrade every two to three years.

The amount of these PCs, their massive volume, will still overshadow the "enthusiast" segment of PC-buyers, who are laughably tiny in terms of volume, but they make up for that with spending way more per unit.
>>
>>101574816
>the gigantic amount of thin-clients we inevitably, as a human species, have left-over from offices everytime they upgrade every two to three years.
*Of which, most of these, under the hood, are (m)ITX designs. >>101574811 was chosen to emphasize how small these PCs have become at what scale of economy, but is not, technically, an ITX, no, of course, only a retard would take it literally and not for its figurative value.
>>
>>101574880
The current generation white-collar man's PC could be the next generation ATM/Vending machine/industrial-controller, especially if manufacturers actually built these things to last another ten years after two years use.

One could create tax incentives to encourage companies to build and implement like that, if one is serious about finding methods to reduce e-waste.

In fact, every faggot who writes bloated pieces of shit software with blue hair will tell you how bad it is how much ewaste exists, while perpetually being a retard and bloating up the software, making it necessary to upgrade again.
Fuck them.
>>
Kek at my workplace I've seen the decline of the ATX standard first hand. At first it was the traditional mid tower. Everyone got one. Decade later they'd finally moved on to the small ass ITX/micro ATX lineup. Covid came. Wham, suddenly those got scrapped and everyone got laptops with docking stations. Irony, most fucks never bothered taking them home cause by the time they were rolled out en mass the whole covid panic was on the decline. Also most people had the ability to access work over vpn from home anyway so taking the laptop home was not needed.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.