[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/g/ - Technology

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: mint.png (19 KB, 454x120)
19 KB
19 KB PNG
For those who don't know Linux Mint 22 is based on Ubuntu LTS without all the crap that exists there by default: no snaps or GTK4/ libAdwaita issues

>The Snap Store is disabled
>Thunderbird continues to be available in Linux Mint 22 as a native .deb package. Following the decision by Ubuntu to move it to Snap, Linux Mint is now responsible for packaging it.
>With GNOME 46, libgoa/libgoa-backend 3.50 moved to GTK4 and could no longer be used by GTK3 applications. This meant that Online Accounts support had to disappear from Cinnamon, Budgie and Unity. The XApp project implemented a standalone application called "GNOME Online Accounts GTK". Not only did this bring the feature back in these three desktop environments, it also made it possible for it to be used in MATE and Xfce.
>In Ubuntu 24.04, a number of GNOME applications moved to libAdwaita and stopped supporting the system theme. Since selecting a theme is a core part of the desktops shipped by Linux Mint (Cinnamon, MATE and Xfce), apps are required to support it.
>As a result, the GNOME Font Viewer was removed and the following applications were downgraded back to GTK3 versions: Celluloid, GNOME Calculator, Simple Scan, Baobab, System Monitor, GNOME Calendar, File Roller, Zenity.
>>
I'm hoping the newer Kernel will fix my graphics drivers
>>
>>101577225
>Still no proper Wayland support
>>
>>101577790
it's ubuntu, its wayland support is the same as in ubuntu
>>
>>101577225
does it have AV1 encoding built in yet?
>>
>>101577225
Mint with KDE or LXQT would be a great distro. As it stands its still better than Ubuntu.

The longer these distros use GTK the more they will get absolutely dicked over by it.
>>
>>101578037
>The longer these distros use GTK the more they will get absolutely dicked over by it.

How so? I don't know much of anything regarding DEs and toolkits.
>>
>>101577225
just use arch/kde
>>
>>101577790
wayland is so much old crap, son. It will NEVER be the replacement for Xorg. The fact is son, such projects over the years have come and gone and it will happen to wayland. There is always someone who comes along and says "Maybe there's a third way, a better way, and they develop it and its perfect for a few decades. Wayland is a dog pissing into the wind
>>
>>101577225
but I like gnome font viewer
what else can I use if I switch to mint 22?
>>
>>101578037
KDE is for windows users who cant quite understand linux
KDE=Noobland
>>
Mint fully supports secure boot now right?
>>
>>101578175
The DE does not prevent you installing and using it.
>>
>>101577267
5.17.0-1021-oem works for me, everything recent in 5.15 panics
>>
>>101577790
As it should be
>>
>>101578037
you can use mint with kde or lxqt, they are available from the default repos
>>
Mint Devuan Edition when?
>>
>>101578193
cinnamon is exactly that too
>>
>>101578037
This. I guess they can keep Cinnamon if they want, but they should offer Plasma + Cinnamon.

No point in Mate and Xfce, really. They're not bad but just not "complete" enough for a beginner, and neither does Mint try to be a system for super low-spec computers.
>>
please be good enough to daily drive please be good enough to daily drive please be good enough to daily drive please be good enough to daily drive please be good enough to daily drive
>>
>>101579921
The only guy I know who actually dailies Linux as a personally desktop OS uses Linux Mint. He's a smart guy, and ue said it took him about a month to get everything running correctly the way he liked. He's an electrical controls programmer. So take that for whatever it is worth. I have played around with some distros and have never been able to make my play around laptop's wifi card work on any of them and that always eventually makes me switch back to winblows. Yes, I openly admit to being filtered by that. Mint and Ubuntu LTS are my preferred desktop experiences.
>>
>>101579976
Fedora Silverblue
>>
>>101579988
Haven't tried it. What does it do well?
>>
Give it to me straight guys. Is this another meme distro?

You already fucked me over recommending manjaro.
>>
>>101580042
It's the official boomer distro.
>>
>>101579988
You mean Fedora Kinoite
>>
>>101580042
its ubuntu without you having to suck cannonicals dick. good for being something that's stable and just works - i daily it on my uni laptop
>>
EndeavourOS is the best.
>>
>Install Arch and Cinnamon
>Mint without the bloat
Problem?
>>
>>101580042
manjaro is rolling release
this is based on ubuntu lts
you shouldn't use rolling release distros unless you have a very good reason
>>
>>101580321
If that was a real solution that existed, Fedora Cinnamon wouldn't be so literally actually broken and left to rot.
>>
>In Ubuntu 24.04, a number of GNOME applications moved to libAdwaita and stopped supporting the system theme. Since selecting a theme is a core part of the desktops shipped by Linux Mint (Cinnamon, MATE and Xfce), apps are required to support it.
>As a result, the GNOME Font Viewer was removed and the following applications were downgraded back to GTK3 versions: Celluloid, GNOME Calculator, Simple Scan, Baobab, System Monitor, GNOME Calendar, File Roller, Zenity.
I am surprised Linux Mint would forgo using Adwaita apps. Now they will have the same problem as MATE where only a small handful of apps still match the desktop.
>>
>>101577225
>Linux Mint is now responsible for packaging it.
so i can import a mint repo and get access to native deb stuff again?
>>
>>101578037
you can just install kde. but dont expect the native update checker to work when logged in to it.
and you gotta do that thing to get the file picker to be qt and not gtk. and even then firefox might be a shit and pick gtk apps by default when opening from the download window.
>>
>>101579921
it became my daily driver after bouncing between windows, arch, debian and tumbleweed
nice out of the box package, default setup is good which is rare on most of linux distros from my experience, it's stable, relatively recent kernel, app store is decent and has a lot of stuff
cinammon is nice and it isn't shit like it's usually said here
devs know what OS should look like, it reduces a lot of llinux tedium and i know i'm gonna get hurr durr must use terminal for everything (You)s but idc
>>
>>101578193
kde is for gnome users that get tired of their extensions breaking every update.
>>
Is it on sudo mintupdate yet?
>>
File: 1640014228817.jpg (838 KB, 1170x1165)
838 KB
838 KB JPG
Still not upgrading, yet
>>
>>101580783
What's the point of GNOME's extensions other than GSConnect?
>>
>>101580783
Here's a thought: don't use a distro that breaks desktop every few months.
>>
>>101580783
kde released a broken plasma version and asked users to wait a few weeks for fixes
>>
>>101577225
Would've been easier to move to flatpak of Thunderbird
>>
>>101581360
KDE didn't ask anyone to upgrade. Not you, not the distros. KDE even offers an LTS branch.
>>
>>101581360
Gnome does the same. The Gnome packagers for Arch release brand new Gnome versions and on their forum, Gnome devs collect bug reports. Sometimes there are 5+ different crash bugs and Gnome does not release a fix until their arbitrary time limit for a point release is reached.
>>
So how long until Mint 21 reaches end of life (if it even does)?
>>
>>101577225
>want to upload image
>thumbnails are tiny and there's no way to make them bigger
stop shilling this garbage
>>
>>101581497
3 more years
>>
Thank you Mint devs for making the sound device not change after every reboot. Holy fuck that was annoying. I hope you enjoy the $40 I sent
>>
File: av1.png (167 KB, 1570x905)
167 KB
167 KB PNG
Been having this issue in Mint 21 and 22 on firefox
AV1 videos just look like this
>>
>fractional scaling makes the entire OS sluggish
Why can't they ever fucking get it right? It's like i have no choise but to use Windows because they actually have scaling that works without a fuckton of screen tearing or slow down to the OS
>>
>>101582941
Fractional scaling is blurry, deformed dogshit, use font scaling factor instead
>>
Is Linux Mint LTS with stable packages (kernel etc) but the DE (Cinnamon) gets updates? Sounds like the perfect distro if this is true.
>>
>>101583384
DE gets updates every six months
>>
>>101580272
>have to deal with pacnews
>have to troubleshoot random shit breaking
>no rollback capability OOTB
no fuck that
>>
>>101583384
Kernel is now HWE since this new version.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.