[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/g/ - Technology

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1721402484439616.jpg (211 KB, 720x886)
211 KB
211 KB JPG
Just installed an app from some shady Russian forum to play TV channels on my car screen for free that my Android warns is illegal and a virus.
Literally works doe so I will not let globohomo dictate what I can and can't install.
>>
>>101578412
It was good knowing anonymous. He died in a car crash due to russian malware.
>>
>>101578412
>picrel
186 here
Divorced twice, not working, not paying child support
>russian app (probably pegasus)
Make a screenshot of the app's permissions
>>
>>101578440
>the app's permissions
It asked for all of them and I gave them. Big woop nothing bad happened.
>>
>>101578453
>It asked for all of them and I gave them. Big woop nothing bad happened.

Anon, your brain vacuum will turn into a black hole very soon.
Are you non-white by any chance ?
>>
>>101578412
so, was this chart normalized for income?
because it has a far more mild incline than i would have expected
>>
>>101578412
>Literally works doe
Well, enjoy your virus then. If it works properly, there isn't too much issue, unless this car screen is built into the car and wired into its CAN bus. If the screen also does things like view mileage and other live car stats, it IS wired into CAN. If all it does is play media, it likely isn't.

If it's wired into CAN, the virus and anyone it gives remote access to, can fuck with your engine while you're driving on the highway. They could kill you from halfway around the world, and it would be ruled an accident caused by mechanical failure. I don't know why car makers wire a box you can install apps on into the CAN. It's an insane decision, and unsafe by design.

If it's not wired into CAN, the worst it can do is flash gross and annoying pictures and play loud noises at you, and make the screen no longer work.
>>
>>101578453
>install literal russian malware on his car internals
average frogfaggot iq
>>
>>101578569
Nah it's completely fine. Looked into it and it's not open source but the dev promised it's safe and some guys on Reddit said they've been using it a while and nothing bad happened.
>>
>>101578412
>get pwned to own the libs
what a time to be alive
>>
>>101578482
>because it has a far more mild incline than i would have expected
idiocy is lauded in this day and age though, that leslie jones monkey-woman is a multi-millionaire for example
>>
>>101578569
I installed NetBSD in my car.
>>
>>101578619
>the dev promised it's safe and some guys on Reddit said they've been using it a while and nothing bad happened.
Uh-huh...
>>
Doesn't even play ads or other cancer like 80% of Google Play shit. It's just completely free and functional.
Russia really is the last country on this earth with people that don't cuck out to globohomo regulations and megacorps.
>>
>>101578619
kek
>>101578569
honestly, if Russian hackers wanted they could kill thousands of drivers without even having them download any infected app. many of these units never received system update, my Honda has one with Android Ice Cream Sandwich, no way that stuff is anyway secure
>>
>>101578665
How did you find the drivers to boot NetBSD on it? Drivers are very important for making cars work.
>>
>>101578682
>my Honda has one with Android Ice Cream Sandwich
Ouch. Is it connected to the CAN bus though?
Also, this is why smart shit shouldn't be built into cars or appliances. A good car will last decades, but the smart tablet thing built into it will be hopelessly outdated and useless in 5 years.
>>
File: 22.png (53 KB, 600x603)
53 KB
53 KB PNG
I don't know what any of that stuff below means but God bless you Pyetr!
You keep fighting the good fight!
>>
>>101578703
yeah, it displays fuel economy, road trip stats and others. car settings like time are synced with the car as well.

>Also, this is why smart shit shouldn't be built into cars or appliances. A good car will last decades, but the smart tablet thing built into it will be hopelessly outdated and useless in 5 years.
it's not that they are now unusable, the stereo still serves its purpose. you can't install new apps on it and the satnav is now outdated. but as long as bluetooth exist you can still use that (it never had Android Auto or Carplay, which will probably meet the same fate at some point in the future). in this way, it's kind of like having a tape player in your old car, but the technology is being outpaced much faster.
and this time it is probably a security vulnerability too...
>>
>>101578619
>but the dev promised it's safe
>>
>>101578412
What forum? I'm russian, the only more or less safe forum for android piracy is 4pda, the rest is to be used at your own risk.
>>
bump, this thread is too good to die yet
>>
lmfao
>>
>>101578412
That outlier is some heiress who blows her income on getting increasingly bogged.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.