[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/g/ - Technology

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: yuri knorozov.jpg (180 KB, 861x1200)
180 KB
180 KB JPG
>game works with proton but doesn't with wine
>>
Shit literally nobody cares about award
>>
>>101579480
i care because i dont want to use proton
>>
>>101579645
why? this may help if it's because of steam: https://github.com/Open-Wine-Components/umu-launcher
>>
>>101579785
idk the game just stutters but i've had wine also segfault when proton worked fine, has to be different libraries
i'll check out that project maybe i could use it
>>
>>101579404
Literally me, I only run pirated games so steam is useless for me and so is proton
>>
>>101580896
How do you play games without proton? I might as well run them in VM at this point since wine is still retarded
>>
>>101580963
easy, create a wineprefix and install dxvk, vcrun2019 or 2022, and directx11. Will work for nearly all games.
Proton is a wine fork after all
>>
>>101580963
>>101581053
More info- till now, i've run disco elysium, ori and the wotw, sekiro, kentucky route zero and they all worked. The only one where it didn't work was ghostrunner, for that I had to install visual c++ runtime
>>
>>101580896
I launch my pirated games with steam.
>>
>>101581053
I tried this for lies of p from fitgirl and it didn't work. I'll try again. I even bought AOE2:DE to play online and proton is fucking retarded, I switched the proton version and it deleted the whole install and would always crash when I started in a multiplayer game. The only game that worked without any problems was into the breach, glad to know seikiro will work too. They got to the character creation on Bloodborne of a PS4 emulator btw
>>
>>101579404
proton is just wine but better (literally) and protonge is proton but better (literally)
why are you not right click -> adding to steam its 2024
>>
>>101579404
Check out winetricks, which is an automated tool to customize Wine from command-line.
I think Lutris (or something like) that is a GUI variant.

A lot of stuff that winetricks installs are *critical* to get stuff to run in Wine.
Proton probably automates their inclusion thanks to Steam's work.

Good luck!

Addendum: Ignore posters saying Proton is 'better,' they have no idea what they're talking about.
*Steam* does a 'better' job of preconfiguring Proton, yes, but Proton per se is the same thing as Wine.
>>
>>101581147
It's a headache really and I don't want to look at adverts or wait for steam to load when I wanna game. If steam was lightweight I would consider using it.

AFAIK, there is no way to run games without using steam and lutris other than plain wine.
>>
>>101581197
Doesn't lutris use plain wine?
> don't want to wait
That's a fair point. I have so many games in steam that I'm used to launching it when I want to play. Adding a pirated game to it makes it more convenient in that regard.
But it's definitely not perfect, so if there's a native version (OpenMW, DevilutionX, openarena), I'd use it without Steam.
>>
>>101581235
Idk, but plain wine is clean and you can always start over by deleting everything within the prefix, I don't even know where the prefixes are located in lutris. With steam, at least you know that a game is going to work if it works for deck users. I also found it harder to diagnose issues with lutris.
>>
>>101581276
I never really used any superstructures on top of wine (Playonlinux, lutris, etc.), so my experience is very limited.
My main issue with steam in this regard is the separation of apps. With wine I can install Skyrim and Modorganizer into the same prefix and it just works, while steam seems to have separate bottles for each app, so it's also complicated to install stuff like uplay.
>>
>>101581344
I just checked, apparently lutris does the same thing, separate prefixes for each game.
>>
>>101581153
because i dont want steam to know i play euphoria
>>101581176
kill yourself
>>
>>101582146
"steam" isn't a person. "they" can't "know" anything about you. nobody knows anything about you. nobody cares about you. get over yourself. you're just insecure over your own choices in vidya

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.