[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/g/ - Technology

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1721998133817.png (104 KB, 850x779)
104 KB
104 KB PNG
Pic related I have a plex server in a normal mid tower case and a QNAP NAS. How should I restructure this?

I was thinking of installing proxmox as the hypervisor host, with a Ubuntu VM running docker, containing my various software. Docker is new to me but I understand the gist of it.

Background: Systems Engineer, so talk dirty to me
>>
if only there were a general for this
>>
>>101579733
Why do you need an hypervisor?
>>
>>101579852
The server also acts as my home lab. I create VMs for learning very frequently. Also I do use transcoding via a dedicated Nvidia GPU in the server.
>>
Why do you want to make these changes? What problem are you trying to solve?
Even if it's just your personal preferences, we need to know what you don't like about the current setup before we could suggest how you move away from it.

I don't see anything immediately wrong with how you have things currently - the media server and the front end being separate is a good thing.

>docker
If you're doing VM's, you don't need containers too
>>
>>101579733
>centos
eww
>>
File: 8osspXj.jpg (57 KB, 480x451)
57 KB
57 KB JPG
>plex
>>
What the hell are you doing lol. What is all that crap on there for? Which Redditor advised this? The software used for iGPU hardware transcoding on Plex doesn't even work properly on Windows systems, did you know that?

I think you should probably install something like Ubuntu Server, since Linux is necessary for the hardware transcoding acceleration features mentioned. If you are a little more in the know with Linux servers then you could use Fedora CoreOS for containerization in podman or Proxmox for VMs.
>>
>>101580580
>The software used for iGPU hardware transcoding on Plex doesn't even work properly on Windows systems
Care to explain? I have an old haswell with a 1050ti that transcodes w/ plex. Win10 enterprise it. AFAIK the intel igpus are trash unless you have newer versions (last five or so years).
>>
>>101579733
>Docker, VM for plex
Just keep it simple you autist.
>>
>>101580841
Wrong
>>101579733
Mann no wonder your a retarded windows user setup, just torrent movies on your computer, your don't need raid for your shitty movies. Imagine backing up star wars 3x so you wouldn't need to spend the 3mins torrenting another 4k
>>
>>101579903
I'm running out of storage on my raid0 array on the server. I also am sick of running into stupid windows issues due to the windows server is being my hypervisor with hyperv
>>
>>101580505
I have a 1050ti running my transcodes in the server
>>
>>101580948
I have 30TB of movies and TV shows, star goys is the least thing I'm concerned with
>>
>>101579733
>plex server
brown

Also a systems engineer and doesn't know docker. Are you from western europe?
>>
>>101581148
Again, why do you need RAID? Do you NEED those 30GB? I just found an adfree place to stream videos and use telegram for music. You're running out because you use 8x14GB in r6 for 30GB of movies. This is an awful setup. Do >>101580873
>>
>>101580948
>Wrong
Wrong what? The 1050ti transcodes on plex/windows. Plex says it's transcoding. Vidyas play just fine on the clients and show transcode. This is easily seen in HWINFO. Sounds like you dunno wtf you're talking about lmao.
>>
>>101581297
Can you fucking read, retard? Wrong what faggot?

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.