[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/g/ - Technology

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 17315568943134.jpg (68 KB, 900x900)
68 KB
68 KB JPG
Work at a thrift store.

Think it's worth buying up controllers as they come in? Also which controllers do you think would be worthwhile and sought after in the long run?
>>
File: 1721842433187404.jpg (605 KB, 3300x2190)
605 KB
605 KB JPG
>>101580069
Sounds like you're angling to become a human leech. Can't you do better?
>>
>>101581992
Cry more
If you want to buy used controllers cheap then get a job where you have access to them
>>
>>101582010
Nah, I don't need advice from a parasite.
>>
>>101580069
Why would anyone get rid of a controller that wasn't broken/drifting/fucked up?
>>
>>101582048
K.
You want me to automatically cancel your order from my ebay shop too?
>>
This reminds me of a dude I knew that worked at a thrift store and would take all the skateboards because he liked skateboards. He didn't need anymore, so he'd just chop them up for spare parts he didn't need. Really, he was just being an asshole that wouldn't let anyone else get skateboards at that store.
>>
imagine being so dumb you are employed at a thrift store, with a side hustle of selling controllers on ebay.
>>
>>101583866
>wageslave thinks it's "smarter" for being a better pampered slave
lmao
>>
what kind of controllers do you even get dropped off? I’d say most “new” controllers made in the last 5 years are terrible durability wise. They may go for higher prices but analog sticks have been wearing down faster, at least in my experience. This applies to all 3 console makers.
In terms of the long run, I think people would seek out ps4 controllers. People are still playing their ps4 (and will do so for a long time due to content stagnation) and I don’t think new ones are being made anymore.
If by chance you see a Wii U, never separate the gamepad from it; the console needs that tablet controller for setup.
>>
>>101584577
PS1, 2, 3 ,4 controllers are what I see the most or xbox

Rarely see Nintendo stuff besides the wii.

Regret not picking up an orange GameCube controller some time ago.

>>101583810
I'm kind of a bit like that. Stick it to the resellers that come in low balling, being rude etc.

But nah there are certain things I enjoy like vintage tech stuff that I keep an eye out for. Or clocks.

>>101583866
I dunno why but i really enjoy working at a thrift store. Honestly feels like I'm paid to exercise and go on a treasure hunt
>>
>>101580069
Xbox controllers are the only ones that will still work after 6 months of use, but nobody wants an Xbox so they have no resale value anyway.
Every generation of Sony controllers gets worse. The Sixaxis controllers from my launch PS3 still work as new. Every PS4 controller I had broke. Every PS5 controller I've had has broken faster.
>>
>>101586130
Which PS3 controllers are better sixaxis or the ones with dual shock?

I picked up both recently but wondering if I should focus more on a certain one
>>
legit ps3 controllers are hard to come by so if they're in good condition & real they can go for a decent amount. watch out for fake ps3/ps4 controllers, they look like the real deal but they weight is different or you can tell by the buttons or rumble.
>>
>>101586151
The dualshock is essentially the same controller but with a rumble motor, but the last few revisions of it (VX7 and VX8) were noticeably cheaper and shittier, whereas if you get a sixaxis you know it's one of the good ones (because they stopped making them before they started making everything cheaper and shittier). Obviously it doesn't have rumble.
>>
You could probably supplement your income by at least 20 grand if you were good at reselling.
I find half the good stuff at thrift stores is snapped up within one day of it being on the shelves and more if it is probably taken by employees. Your best bet is to find a charity shop where the employees are OLD.
I occasionally go looking for stuff that I want for my own use. I'm not really looking for stuff to flip but if I find something shippable that will obviously profit I'll go for it.
I used to think this was the wrong thing to do, but that was before I understood well how thrift stores work.
A lot of times no one will see the value in perfectly functional items. A huge amount NEVER sells.
After something is on the shelf for too long it either gets thrown out, or gets sent to the outlet/warehouse location, gets destroyed by rough handling and then thrown out.
I particularly look for audio equipment because I'm trying to make a nice surround sound system for very cheap. So far I have 6 decent bookshelf speakers and a stereo amps for a total of $56.
I got some speakers and was looking for the amp/cd/tape combo unit they came with. Employee said they couldn't get a CD to play so they sent it to the goodwill outlet. This is the place where unsold items go to be sold for $1 or less before they get dumpstered.
I went there two days later and found the unit. Although the speakers were immaculate the stereo was completely trashed with the tape doors broken off and it wouldn't turn on.
in a 98% white area everyone else in the store was an immigrant speaking something besides English (lots of Nigerians somehow). They were digging through the bins like mad and everything was banged up and trashed. I could not find one item without a dent in it. I didn't see anyone buying anything besides the $.10 dvds.
If anything here had value it's destroyed.
>>
>>101587045
My perspective on thrift/charity stores is changed after learning how much is thrown out.
If you buy something for your own use or to resell, you're probably not hurting poor people. You're supporting the store that can continue providing useful items for cheap and employing people who lack other job prospects.
Items in demand will be bought instantly, so count yourself lucky if you get one. If it wasn't in demand then you saved from the landfill.
As for whether the employee should resell things, I say you should at least put things on the shelf to give others the CHANCE to buy them, but if they're still there after two days you might as well take it home.
>>
>>101582351
Even if you're buying on ebay the cheapest way to get a good controller is to buy one with problems then fix it. Analog sticks and batteries are very easy to replace.
>>
>>101587134
Not the Dualsense. The shell is held together with shitty fragile plastic clips so opening it is usually destructive. It also uses the same shitty trigger spring design as the DS4 which can fall out internally, and the only way to reseat it is to open the controller, which is destructive.
>>
>>101587293
Jesus. I'm increasingly glad I didn't buy a PS5.
>>
>>101587293
>buy new one on Amazon
>return old one in it's place
free new in box controller. fuck bezos and Sony.
>>
>>101581992
why are you so hateful? were you not loved as a child? are you not loved today? it is fairly obvious
>>
>>101587309
I forgot the much touted force feedback triggers also use plastic gears, and once they start to wear and slip that makes it more likely the spring will become unseated, at which point you have to break your controller to fix it unless you are some sort of neurosurgeon level spudger god with four hands
>>
>>101581992
I say that and I look like that
>>
>>101580069
Not worth it unless they're something odd or rare
If you can manage to get entire systems together then you could make money, also find the more odd collector items to make easy bucks faster like radioactive glassware

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.