[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/g/ - Technology

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

>have to transition to new bullshit all the time (like pipewire or wayland)
>my desktop breaks a little and gets more buggier every time
>wine had an ALSA bug that made it crash
>installed pipewire to "fix" that and other things, now I have to run 3 bullshit demons to get everything back to working
>the fact that I still have to use wine on Linux
>would have to reimplement my favorite window manager for wayland or something to use it at all
>GTK applications now starting to override X window decorations and visually malfunctioning
>bugs everywhere
Why is the Linux desktop getting worse instead of better?
What went wrong?
>>
Devs are always retarded. Don't let them tell you otherwise.
>>
>>101582163
>>have to transition to new bullshit
no you dont
tinyx + dwm has been on my computer for years and will stay the same forever
>>
>>101582208
Watch as X support breaks a little bit more every year in common toolkits, until it gets removed completely.
>>
Because you don't really need the Linux kernel for the desktop. You really need the Linux userland, that's all. The kernel is the problem, server oriented workloads are different than multimedia workloads, which are close to real-time
>>
>>101582217
wayland reddit shills have been saying this for the past 10 years, didn't happen.
>>
File: 1703744991443355.png (98 KB, 622x565)
98 KB
98 KB PNG
>>101582163
only linux install you'll ever need
>>
>>101582234
Wayland adoption has picked up recently. The thing is that all the desktop devs like Wayland as shiny new thing, even if Wayland is misdesigned and trashy, and they will push it as hard as they can.
>>
>>101582163
>have to transition to new bullshit all the time (like pipewire or wayland)
Don't be a retard and document your decisions
>my desktop breaks a little and gets more buggier every time
Let me guess. GNOME or KDE?
>wine had an ALSA bug that made it crash
All gaymers should have this faith
>installed pipewire to "fix" that and other things, now I have to run 3 bullshit demons to get everything back to working
You issue, pipewire works perfectly fine
>the fact that I still have to use wine on Linux
Blame the gamedevs
>would have to reimplement my favorite window manager for wayland or something to use it at all
What is this jeetspeak
>GTK applications now starting to override X
-gtk
>window decorations and visually malfunctioning
GNOME or KDE it is
>bugs everywhere
nigger
>>
>>101582252
>Let me guess. GNOME or KDE?
No, a raw X session with a traditional window manager. It's extremely unbloated and I can have uptimes for months without crashes or memory leaks.
>What is this jeetspeak
Sorry that you don't understand basic English. The issue is that X window managers can't run under wayland.
>>
>>101582326
>The issue is that X window managers can't run under wayland
Yeah, that's why you got X and wayland window managers. Just how you got MacOS and windows only apps idiot
>traditional window manager
Define a traditional window manager
>>
>>101582163
anon have you considered instead of the wine and sound daemon clusterfuck you just run windows?
>>
>>101582163
>my desktop breaks
Stop using tinker tranny distros like arch.
Fedora Silverblue is more stable than Windows and Macos in their wildest dreams.
>>
File: file.png (1.99 MB, 1920x1200)
1.99 MB
1.99 MB PNG
>>101582163
>install system
>0 problems with default configs
if i try tinkering problems will surge like missing icons etc, but if i dont touch it, it just werks
>>
>Linux Mint retards
>>
>>101582411
>Fedora
>GNOME
I'd unironically prefer Windows to that tranny horseshit.
>>
Fixed most of my problems today. Not to satisfaction, but I'll live. My desktop is a little bit more broken now. I fucking hate the Linux desktop a little bit more today.
Anyone who thinks the Linux desktop is good is mentally ill.
>>
>>101582163
can you guys help me.
in Neofetch I want to change the name of my brothers distro to
Cock Muncher Linux
for a joke
is there a way to do this in the config file?
>>
>>101582163
>Why is the Linux desktop getting worse instead of better?
>What went wrong?
Well, it all started with SUSE Linux losing a case in the courts with Microsoft. Instead of paying Billions of dollars to MS, SUSE gave them a 49% share of the SUSE company. Microsoft started using SUSE to freeze out certain other leading distro's from creating software based around the networking protocols of SMB, which microsoft had invented decades earlier and which Linux distro's called SaMBa. Moving on from that, MS also partnered with Red Hat and made it more monolithic - culminating in systemd (you see where this is going?) later Linux distros's wanted to get into the phone market (Hence Gnome Shell and derivatives). It's all sliding down the pan into the commercial sewer
>>
>>101582217
im not updating any of those toolkits either, basilisk browser works just fine
still on gtk2
>>
>>101582163

I still run Debian 10 because 11 and 12 broke things I depend on.
>>
>>101582365

Windows spies on everything you do, and they charge you for this "privilege" to boot!
>>
>>101583808
>filtered by privacy settings they shove in your face and make you review
>>
>>101582365
I tell myself that Windows is worse.
Which it probably is, enjoy your screenshots getting sent to AI training.
>>
>>101582163
the thing about linux is not only does it require that your time be free, but also that others time be free as well.
>>
>>101584079
This is your brain on /g/. Any questions?

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.