[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/g/ - Technology

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: file.png (31 KB, 607x377)
31 KB
31 KB PNG
Every single major system crash comes down to this shitty language developed literally 60 years ago. It's time to kill every C and C++ developer and ban this shit from enterprise codebases.

>b-but muh performance
See pic related
>>
>>101583348
What you don't see is the thousands of nuclear power plants that haven't blown up, because C just werks (if it just werks; skill issue).
Oh, wait, actually you do, but (You) don't.
Faggot.
>>
>>101583348
what's the alternative?
>>
File: 1722019266275.jpg (219 KB, 956x1228)
219 KB
219 KB JPG
>>101583447
>>
>>101583447
Literally any memory safe language. Java, Rust, the list goes on.
>>
>Company doesn't test shit
>They deploy to all their customers
>Shit breaks
>Blames C++ instead of their crappy business practices
Any other language isn't going to solve all bugs. You need to test in any language and if you are too lazy to do that you will suffer the consequences. C works fine if you know what you are doing.
>>
>>101583447
Ada.
>>
>>101583411
>he thinks nuclear power plants are computerized
>>
>>101583530
Moving to Rust would result in a serious shortage of programmers, as only a tiny fraction of people are willing to sacrifice their entire identity and ego unto rust, as required to become a proficient rust dev.
>>
>>101583526
>>101583530
dilate
>>
>>101583546
>Any other language isn't going to solve all bugs
Dumbshit, no other language can even produce these bugs by design.
>>
>>101583546
>Company doesn't test shit
Identifying memory leaks in an arbitrary program is literally an undecidable problem, retard.
>>
>>101583587
Any language that can't produce these bugs isn't fit for kernel driver development. You have to operate at memory level when working on the kernel
>But rust
Rust had unsafe which is basically required at that level.
>>101583641
>undecidable problem
>run update on fresh windows machine
>see blue screen
>wow I found it.
>t.brainlet
>>
>>101583662
>undecidable problem
>wow I found it
Go back.
>>
>>101583662
>You have to operate at memory level when working on the kernel
100% of application bugs do not happen with the kernel but rather with the application you tard
>>
>>101583687
Autist shocked when you can find it simply by running the program instead of using a complex algorithm. If you program well you can usually find those issues using something like valgrind.
>>101583731
I thought you were talking about the shit with crowdstrike and that only happened because of their kernel drivers.
>>
>make language that is a compiler flag for c/c++
>hire dei to code
>rewrite working programs in new language
what horrors await these companies using an unproven language
>>
>>101583348
I vill NUT pipe the output of curl into bash.
I vill NUT be cucked by the borrow checker.
I vill NUT use the language-specific package manager.
I vill NUT download sixty dependencies for a "standard library" crate.
I vill NUT statically compile the libraries.
I VILL use my distro's package manager for libraries.
I VILL dynamically link to them.
I VILL use the pointers.
I VILL include the headers.
I VILL abuse the preprocessor.
And I VILL be very very very happy.
>>
File: 1721938790776543.jpg (175 KB, 1380x1680)
175 KB
175 KB JPG
And the biggest cause of death is life

There will never be a thing that's perfect by design, that's OCD
Or you use mature software that have been tested under the operational conditions, or you use some """perfect""" solution that doesn't work

A dumb Rust rewrite has many more logic bugs and mistakes than any mature C. Plus, considering safety above all is short-sighted, you can't implement cryptography if your compiler can cause timing leaks as he can do everything and you can't do nothing
>>
>>101585658
>A dumb Rust rewrite has many more logic bugs and mistakes than any mature C.
Care to elaborate?
>>
>>101587333
You have a mature C software, besides being written in C, it has been tested extensively and used in many cases in architectures, a lot of known bugs and issues were solved over time

Making a Rust rewrite of it won't make it better, even if the borrow checker can supposedly find more stuff than cppcheck and valgrind. It has unknown bugs and mistakes, it wasn't tested in real cases and things can go wrong in ways the developer didn't expect

Something being perfect in theory doesn't make it perfect, you won't make a HTTP server better than nginx just because it's written in Rust, it will have it's own exploits and issues that will only be solved over a long time

Well-used software has not just maturity but they also use the same kind of tests that Rust can do through external tools and debugging. Even if they make mistakes, a novice program would end much worse
>>
>>101583447
Hiring only white men

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.