[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/g/ - Technology

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • You may highlight syntax and preserve whitespace by using [code] tags.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: images81.jpg (61 KB, 1600x1570)
61 KB
61 KB JPG
>digitizing a book
>have to turn the scanned pages into a PDF
>start sweating and shivering
>use img2pdf to convert it to a PDF
>whew. one step done
>try to use ocrmypdf to add OCR tex-
>FUCK.
>image format error
>I start seething, staring at my computer in awe
>how did img2pdf fuck this up?
>duckduckgo the problem
>nothing comes up
>I feel defeated
>yet I remember that there is but one more challenge remaining after this one
>I will have to make the first few pages counted in Roman numerals and the rest in Arabic
>look into editing PDFs
>give up
It is truly a nightmare. Fuck you Adobe.
>>
Skill issue
Literally just works on ABBYY finereader and Acrobat x
>>
>>101589132
>just get locked into my closed source subscription model, goy
>>
>>101589083
PDF format was never intended for editing. You create a document in another format and only export it to PDF once editing is fully complete, whilst saving the original document in case of future edits.
>>
>>101589175
the 'original format' is on a 100 year old printing press
>>
>>101589154
Both of those programs are literally freeware for personal use, go choke on a cock
>>
>>101589187
I meant edit using Word, LaTeX, InDesign, Scribus, whatever and export from that to PDF, but don't edit PDFs themselves, that's not what they're meant for.
>>
>>101589215
Do you expect me to typeset a 800 page long book via LaTeX?
>>
>>101589229
Why not?
>>
>>101589236
Too much effort.
>>
>>101589240
Is it really, though? Make use of templates.
>>
>>101589270
Maybe one day when I'm very bored.
>>
File: 1722052920436.jpg (244 KB, 858x1000)
244 KB
244 KB JPG
PDF won

My startup is responsible for working primarily with PDF files and their metadata.

It honestly a clusterfuck sometimes, with different methods of encoding information.

If it wasn't so complex,my business would be easy to build, so I guess there's a technical moats there h-hehe.
>>
>>101589083
>duckduckgo the problem
>duckduckgo
(((you)))
>>
>>101589083
>duckduckgo the problem

dude
>>
>>101589229
if you want it done right, then yes. groff mom also works well.
>>
>>101589083
I have a secret program for you:

CutePDF

When I worked in central London, the whole office IT department had this deployed on everyone's machines. I've never seen it mentioned ever, but it's free and it works exactly perfect with no hitch.
>>
>>101590565
>it's free
It's proprietary, and has a history of bundled adware.
>>
>>101590606
I never paid a cent for it and never got even a prompt for an ad.
>>
>>101590616
It's PROPRIETARY, therefore non-free software.
Lurk 2 years before posting again.
>>
>>101590641
Open source freedom is irrelevant if you don't want to modify it. I can't believe people actually use free to mean freedom, it's almost like trolling.
>>
>>101589132
>>101589192
Except that for the most important features are locked behind a pay wall such as OCR
>>
>>101590661
>Open source freedom
https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/open-source-misses-the-point.en.html
>>
>>101589083
pdf is a proprietary format by adobe to force you to by acrobat.

unironically mac os is the best os with pdf support.
>>
>>101590695
Stallman is a paranoid schizophrenic, he might be like Ted Kaczynski if Ted was actually into tech. When he gives speeches about mobile phones etc it sounds like the unibomber manifesto. It's genuine concerns but amplified to a bizarre unrealistic level.

I like some GNU stuff, but I don't care about whatever philosophy, just whether it does what I need done better than the competition, and the price. I've used this particular software to Ctrl + P turn .doc files into PDF files for over 10 years. I don't even really think about its existence. Though nowadays I think the ability to "print" documents as PDF files is quite universal.
>>
isn't pdf vector
>>
>>101589083
use epub you faggot
>>
>>101589175
>PDF format was never intended for editing.
yes it was, you dumb fuck.

>>101591625
based on postscript but with many other extensions to it implemented by adobe over the decades. their support for scripting has led to the format being a #1 source for malware infections.
>>
>>101590691
They both have ocr out of the box.
>>
>>101593262
You have to pay for the OCR on both
>>
>>101593286
You don't you retarded ass. You can pirate them, therefore they are freeware.
>>
>>101589229
Absolutely. Every academic institution that is worth a damn uses LaTeX. And they use it for papers, books, journals, you name it.

>>101589240
>Too much effort.
The fuck it is. You set it up once, then you just focus on writing with a simple plain text editor. The beauty with TeX is that you can swap templates whenever you want and render your book in any format you want.
WTF have you been using so far?
>>
>>101593377
kill yourself you useless waste of iar
>>
>>101589083
HTML makes PDF and other e-books formats obsolete
>>
>>101590691
You get abbyy with almost with any printer cd
>>
>>101593838
Let me guess, you momma would beat your ass if you got a virus on her compooter so you only use appstores lmao the absolute state of /g/
>>
Not pdf fault if some freetard ocr software cant read images.
https://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG20-TECHS/PDF17.html

Numbering pages is easy too if you have pro software or know how to use pdf program libraries.once again, a hard task with freetard software.
>>
>>101593475
Have you ever seen a book from the 50s? You do realise I would have to go page by page, fixing the formatting, italicizing words, making others bold, fixing inevitable OCR mistakes. On top of that, I'd have to digitize the typeface. This whole process would take half a year at least.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.