[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/g/ - Technology

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1722696778413.jpg (230 KB, 1920x1920)
230 KB
230 KB JPG
Splitting video, audio and subtitle tracks is a white man's choice
>a multi-language linux.iso.mp4 release
Mergecucks:
>waste bandwidth and disk space for irrelevant shit
>have to click 20 times in a player to select a proper track
Splitchads:
>download exactly what needed
>it just works
>>
you're wrong
>>
>>101704080
>>have to click 20 times in a player to select a proper track
Proper players can set default tracks.
>>
As long as I can get the original Blu-Ray H264 bitstream, I have nothing to complain about.
>>
>>101704136
MPV chads keep winning.
>>
>>101704137
>H264
I prefer x265.
>>
>>101704080
>download exactly what needed
Only if it's a padded one, and I'll be assuming this is 99% of use-cases, yarrrr.

>waste bandwidth and disk space for irrelevant shit
Nope, if it's padded, you'll possibly waste more bandwidth (which is a one-time waste), and this kind of a padding is applied to each file as well (a file system's 'cluster' size, each file allocates a ceilinged multiple of this cluster size) when it is allocated on disk (which is a permament waste), ergo, 'Mergecucks' are both better choices considering disk and bandwidth, it's just that you're too retarded to realize it.

>have to click 20 times in a player to select a proper track
Some players allow you to configure your preferred order of languages.
That being said, it should always be the one that is default on the original as well.

>it just works
You have to rely on the file-names either being interpretable by the media player to select the correct track or that they are named in the way that an intentional order is created, but this is no different than the order that you get if you merge.
>>
>>101704646
*OP, just ask someone with fast internet to download it for you and extract what you want with ffmpeg.
I suppose it's a subtitle you need or want embedded in a Matroska?
Did you check subscene, opensubtitles, yifysubtitles? Also, use Yandex for that shit.
>>
>>101704646
Unless you are a braindead tinkerer, your cluster size is a few KB. This is nothing compared to hundreds of MB for excess audio tracks.
>>
>>101704755
Eh, I too am eyerolling that most AV1 encoders seem to be using them gains for stuffing the container full of extra tracks, either do remuxes or be a region-specific encoder.
Just give me YIFY, but with AV1/Opus instead of H264/AAC.
Oh, and be autistic about 5.1 and 5.1(side) this time!

But otherwise, apart from codec autism, it sounds like a skill issue if you can't find what you're looking for.
Only old, niche, forgotten, underground, bad stuff usually doesn't exist with just one primary audio track (and usually these are XviD from days past), everything else usually exists in a format of v0 + a0 + s0...n, Anon.
>>
>>101704836
>5.1(side)
You can losslessly remap that to 6.1 in opus with a silent BC channel, EZ!
Otherwise, there's an issue tracker for libopus not automatically correctly remapping 5.1(side) to 5.1(side).
>>
>>101704836
>>101704885
https://trac.ffmpeg.org/ticket/5718
https://github.com/staxrip/staxrip/issues/379
https://old.reddit.com/r/ffmpeg/comments/v4s61h/correctly_mapping_51_to_opus/

Have fun!
>>
>>101704929
>Please don't use my previous patch. It's ill-advised and silently breaks stuff. For the short-term, the command-line workaround with aformat= is the best to use.

Oh shit! That was my last update on it, he had made some patch that seemed to work, but that was very fresh, and it seems it doesn't really.

Anyhoo, like I said, a lossless remapping 6.1 if you detect 5.1(side) is what I recommend.
I have that all buried deep in Python scripts on my end, so I'm not sure by heart what the commands are, but the general idea is to force Opus to output 6.1 and then use an audio filter that just remaps FL=FL:FR=FR, etc. and just leave BC unmentioned.
Oh, and activate Opus's surround masking and maybe a slight bitrate compensation must be made to achieve the original target bitrate due to the extra (digital silent) track existing.
>>
>>101704755
Oh, and most Winfag just using default settings on VeraCrypt in Windows will end up with a 1MB cluster at 4TB (half at 2TB, double at 8TB, etc.).

I had to tell VeraCrypt to just create a partition and then used Linux's exFAT utilities to create the file system when I switched to Linux (would probably try the native LUKS next-time around).

Image collections, that take up maybe 3MB, were balloned to 300MB.
Of course, that *is* my problem, but it's not a ridiculous assumption to assume that a media storage device will have a larger cluster size, these do, in fact, increase performance at the cost of more disk space.
>>
>>101704982
>aformat=
5.1(side) to 5.1 adds a second layer of uncertainty, namely the volumetric assumptions when changing the layout, meaning you have two uncertainties when playing back the encoded thing, not just the lossy compression, but the geographic correction (plus, then, your own uncertainty is added, namely your own geographic surround constellation).

One dimension of uncertainty, the lossiness, is enough, and I'm speaking as a person following the mantra archive once, keep forever (and FHD is good enough for that, and AV1/Opus are both good enough compared to remux).
>>
>>101704535
>most devices can't properly decode it (phones, tvs, home media player) and need special hardware to do so
>x265 turns your device into a heater
>10-20% file size gains for shittier quality
>>
>>101704080
i wouldnt mind deleting dub tracks when i download foreign movies and anime, would be convenient

i know you can set it up to auto select those, but would make it easier.
>>
>>101705932
>i wouldnt mind deleting dub tracks when i download foreign movies and anime, would be convenient
You cannot seed them then, although if you don't know this, you probably don't care.
Nigger.
>>
>>101706030
if i was torrenting i wouldnt download the dub tracks
>>
>>101704080
i download all my videos without audio
>>
>>101705889
Eh I use my pc to play it on MPV.
>>
>>101706111
Are you deaf?
>>
>5.1(side)
What is this shit and why does it exist?
>>
>>101707114
It seems to be the film physical media industry standard for six channel audio, I'd estimate more than 90% of remuxes with six channels are in this audio layout configuration.
Most are 7.1 nowadays, so it really mostly only affects media made between 2000 and 2020.
>>
>>101707288
As always, industry boomers do the most retarded thing possible.
>>
File: file.png (169 KB, 888x1302)
169 KB
169 KB PNG
>>101707114
https://trac.ffmpeg.org/wiki/AudioChannelManipulation#Listchannelnamesandstandardchannellayouts
>>
>>101707114
because 5.1 can have different layouts
>>
>>101707327
And films use the most retarded one.
>>
>>101707307
You know, why *isn't* audio a collection of mono tracks for which the media container contains the layout information?
I suppose there's masking and joint multi-channel to consider, but that seems possible to encode into metainfo in the container as well, idk.

Honestly, this shit could all be so much simpler, I feel like there's a lot of inertia and legacy in audio/video stemming from analog times and created by film/audio engineers, not computer engineers.
YUV is one of them, but it seems like it's also just more efficient than RGB wrt to compression, idk.
>>
Tard here, I know this should probably go in the /sqt/ BUT
after I've seeded a rutracker release to a neutral ratio and I want to remove the russian dubs/subs, doing that with mkvtoolnix is completely legitimate and not gonna lose me anything like quality or give me problems, right?
>>
>>101708588
You won't have any quality losses, but you will likely be the only person that has that media in that exact file, whereas the original, unaltered file exists multiple times as redundant copies out there in the wild.
>tldr
It's fine, bro, go ahead.
>>
>>101704520
VLC supports it as well
>>
>>101704080
retard
>>
>>101705889
>most devices can't decode x265
yeah, in 2014.
>>
>>101704080
I have a gigabit connection and like 70TB of storage (not counting a 90TB NAS), I literally never even think about bandwidth or storage space.
>>
>>101706238
he's a pedo
>>
>>101704080
>>have to click 20 times in a player to select a proper track
my player can be set to default tracks, when [jap] audio available use it with [eng] sub, otherwise use [eng] for everything.
guess you are too low IQ to configure a white man player,
>>
>>101705889
poorfag stuck in early 2010's

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.