[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/g/ - Technology

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: framework .jpg (3 KB, 210x256)
3 KB
3 KB JPG
Thinking abotut getting a laptop for on the hi productivity and to learn programming. Will I regret a framework 13, right now looking at the ryzen option and the factory seconds option, will it be good to learn Linux and for coding? Does anyone have one?
>>
>>101831556
I've seen a lot of people post issues with them, but honestly what small startup doesn't have their initial hiccups. They're getting better overtime, so honestly I am looking into getting one when this current laptop I am running starts to die.
>>
i like my 16. overpaid for it slightly but the repairability/upgradability and helping the company was worth the extra money to me.
>>
>>101831584
>>101831595
Do you'll think they will be able to keep the same chassis for the 13 for ever, I might grab a factory seconds if that's likely. I don't need to much performance. The 16 looks cool but I'm still a desktop gamer, need to have things the way I like for gaming.
>>
>>101831658
forever, no. they'll iterate like every other company does. but it'll likely be around for a while. they just released a RISC-V motherboard for the 13 within the last few months.
>>
>>101831658
If their promises are to be believed, then yes. Honestly most laptops have kept the same form factor for years now, i.e ThinkPads from Lenovo all pretty much look the same throughout the years.
MacBooks, which Frameworks seem somewhat based on, have looked the same since the 2010s. I think you should be fine getting a second hand one then upgrading later if that is what you want to do. I'm thinking of getting the 13 myself and using an eGPU if I ever get "le gaming" itch.
>>
>>101831850
From what i'm reading this seems reasonable, thanks. I think I'll pick one up. Seems to be a good company and I don't need a monster laptop right now. I do wish they say whether or not they are working on ryzen ai 370 mainboards tho. Also unsure if its worth getting into the ai pc craze just yet, seems a bit spywarey and gimmicky to me as a layman.
>>
>>101831829
>they'll iterate like every other company does
That's the risk in every company. We're literally seeing the collapse of Intel, and Microsoft Windows has been losing market share since Windows 8. Every company could one day collapse, even giants like Google could one day be gone.
>>
>>101831892
According to the CEO, they wait until the second wave of chip releases before importing a chip so any manufacturer bugs get worked out first. They did that for the Intel Core Ultra.
>>
>>101831916
Oh that makes sense for a small company i suppose. What do you think of having ai laptops , is it a gimmick? To me I think it's more worth while for desktops since they just have so much more performance
>>
get the cheapest thinkpad
>coding
nigger
>>
>>101831556
my entire team is using framework laptops, they're solid laptops and the fact that you can upgrade them and replace parts without too much trouble is a nice feature if you care about that sort of thing

>will it be good to learn Linux and for coding
the only thing to look out for wrt linux is that your hardware is well supported and i haven't had issues with my framework on linux yet, but the same is true for lots of other laptops
>>
>>101832006
I use Linux, so it won't use the AI part of the chip at all. Personally I do think it's a gimmick, but I do like how powerful and efficient the chips are so I wouldn't mind getting a Ryzen AI 9 just for the power and efficiency aspects alone, I would just disable the AI if it ever came to Linux.
>>
>>101832019
I do like thinkpadd but I'm looking into more modern hardware and don't want to pay for a new one. What is wrong with learning to code tho?
>>
>>101832060
its programming not "code"
get the cheapest hardware it will force you to write optimized
>>
File: ThisIsBait.png (66 KB, 625x626)
66 KB
66 KB PNG
>>101832060
He's just a troll looking to bait you, ignore him.
>>101832069
"Code" is short for programming. Quit being a faggot.
>>
>>101832087
>"Code" is short for programming
KEK
kys webdev
>>
>>101832087
I think I'll pickup one of the factory second machines and some cheap storage and ram from amazon, should tide me over for a few years, maybe if I ever get good at programming/coding I'll upgrade it.
Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts, and people say 4chan is toxic, 4chan >reddit
>>
>>101832120
I mean some of us are toxic, looking at this idiot >>101832105
But I am happy to help and share my thoughts! Probably going to join the Framework wagon once the ThinkBook I uses finally bites the bullet. Battery is already getting there, this thing barely holds a charge these days.
>>
>>101832136
>and people say 4chan is toxic, 4chan >reddit
dear god how did you find this board?

>>101832136
>But I am happy to help and share my thoughts!
cant believe framework is deploying gpt-2j chatbots to this board

the shilling is too hard
>>
>>101832136
Out of curiosity, are you a programmer? Just because I hope I can get good enough to eventually get a well paid tech job or something like that. At the very least an osrs bot farm so I dont need to grind so much.
>>
>>101832176
Not shilling, just giving my opinion about a company. I'm very pro-Right to Repair, so Framework being one of the few companies that supports it gets them points in my book.

Again, I have a ThinkBook that I can open and do repairs on too. But Lenovo has started to solder RAM in their machines so I don't think I'll be doing business with them again. If another company came along and did what Framework does, but better, I'd go for that company.
>>
>>101832204
I have a CS degree and have coded in the past, but my current job does not have me work on the software team. I want to get back into it though since it might allow me to get promoted where I work now, and the insurance where I work is incredibly good so I want to stay there as long as possible.
>>
>>101832230
Nice I have considered going back to uni to do CS, but right now it's to expensive for me since I didn't get a god job with my chem degree, mostly down to my trash social skills and covid lockdowns.
>>
>>101832262
Honestly for a foundation I'd look into getting certifications for hardware based stuff. A+, Network+, Security+.
It is what I did hence how I landed the current IT job I have now. It's nice, pays decently enough that I can afford to live in a mortgaged condo, and again the insurance is good.
>>
>>101831556
larger screens are nicer if you are staring at them for a long time. I think you could buy a pos used 8th gen dell latitude for a couple hundred bucks that would be better for an initial setup.
>>
>>101832287
It seems like a good life, my friends in tech all make at least double what I make, to be fair I am a low level office worker so I don't expect a lot, so I think it's a good move as I am interested and it'll help me afford my dream home one day. Being a cottage in some woods away from cities
>>
>>101832354
Sounds cozy. I wish you the best of luck, anon!
>>101832329
Dell Latitudes are nice starter machines too. They run Linux decently well, but not as good as ThinkPads/ThinkBooks (hence why I got my ThinkBook), Still, for a more powerful and newer machine they have the same issue as Lenovo in soldering RAM on. I hate that Apple started that trend now every company is copying them.
>>
>>101832329
I more need a laptop for being on the go, like when i am staying away from home or hiking somewhere nice with a hammock and some snacks. I often house sit for family with pets and such and lugging a 7 year old desktop about is a pain, that's why I am interested in a smaller machine, I have a monitor I can use when at home so screen size isn't an issue
>>
>>101832215
>I'm very pro-Right to Repair
did not ask
you are shilling to buy new
always buy old laptops, they have least pozz technology and are easiest to repair

>ThinkBook
>Lenovo
no ibm no talk
stop buying new garbage
>>
>>101832484
>always buy old laptops
didn't ask.
>>
>>101831556
I didn't and I doubt you will unless you already know you hate it because thinkpads are so much better
>>
>>101832484
Surely an IBM laptop is unusable today? What can on use it for? Other than as a hobby. I am not making fun I am trying to learn as I only now want to get really into computers and such, hence the interest in framework, since I always enjoyed building desktops
>>
>>101832559
The ThinkPad meme is so incredibly overdone. At this point just let it die. Some of us actually require some modern technology for our careers, ya know. We can't all be neets in our mom's basement.
>>
>>101832577
>Surely an IBM laptop is unusable today?
holy fucking shit just kys already shill

posted from my librebooted t60
>>
>>101832627
How cold is it in your mom's basement?
>>
>>101832663
ibm thinkpad made to be used in garden in hot summer
>>
>>101832675
How many flowers did your mom plant in her garden this year? She ask you to get a job yet before leaving you alone because you autistically screeched at her?
>>
>>101832627
Haha not a shill, but let's move past that, a t60, nice looking machine, can you still make money with such a machine today? Like doing freelance or such? I am just a curious guy looking for some buying advice for a older model framework. Would jamming a framework mainboard into a t60 work, looks like there is a ton of space
>>
>>101832577
Most modern day jobs won't want you using an old ThinkPad anon. Just do your research and if you want to get a Framework, go for it. Honestly, 4Chan isn't the best place to ask for tech advise because you get idiots shilling old hobby machines not realizing that for actual productivity you need something more powerful.
>>
>>101832762
Tbh the thread stared off pretty well at least
>>
>>101832792
Mostly because you didn't have ThinkPad anon screeching in here till now, but at least trolling him is turning out to be humorous.
>>
>>101831556
Framework makes great laptops, the catch is that they're overpriced. You can reduce that a bit, order one without RAM and no SSD then add your own from Amazon/wherever has a deal on. You won't be disappointed unless you make the wrong decision on specs, for example if you buy a 13 and realise you want a larger screen or GPU, that's not frameworks fault so make sure you know what you want before buying
>>
>>101832932
Yeah pretty much this. Research what you'll want and need before buying, and get the DIY version to save on RAM, SSD and OS. Also, don't buy more then what you'll need, for example if the base offered CPU will work then get that one.
>>
File: 1723385497738.jpg (859 KB, 2176x1126)
859 KB
859 KB JPG
>>101831556
You will become a tranime LGTV soifaced faggot
>>
>>101832484
>stop buying new garbage
>instead buy old garbage!
Fuck off, thinktroon. I'm buying a Panasonic Let's Note.
>>
>>101833260
If he wasn't doing this type of shit to his computers now, he's not going to do it to a Framework. Quit trolling, get a job and stop being a disappointment to your family.
>>
>>101833289
Why the projection, anon? I'm on a business trip right now; paid travel FTW!
>>
>code
Why would you need a new laptop if your use case is coding? Buy second hand. Save money, reduce e-waste, and end up with a better product overall with way better value for money.
Yesterday's 1500$ laptops are today's 150$ laptops.
>>
File: MockingSpongebob.jpg (88 KB, 678x678)
88 KB
88 KB JPG
>>101833312
>I'm on a business trip right now
Pics or it didn't happen.
>>
>>101833286
usually old garbage is basically for free
>Panasonic Let's Note.
no coreboot so malware

>>101832699
i do gardening with my parents basically daily
>She ask you to get a job
lol im never getting a job faggot
also i have never paid any taxes
>>
>>101833412
>usually old garbage is basically for free
Because it is no longer useful for productivity. If you ever had a real job, you'd know more complex software requires more resources, thus a ThinkPad wouldn't be good inestment for making actual money unless it was one of the newer ones.

>lol im never getting a job faggot
>also i have never paid any taxes
That is not the flex you think it is, anon.
>>
>>101833452
>you'd know more complex software requires more resources
no bloatware installed on my thinkpad

>thus a ThinkPad wouldn't be good inestment for making actual money unless it was one of the newer ones.
my ibm thinkpad makes me alot of monero, you dont need new computer to make money fucking retard falling for BIG HARDWARE

>That is not the flex you think it is, anon.
dont forget to buy your new computer so you can write "code" for your boss so you can buy more new hardware KEK RETARD
enjoy your tax
>>
>>101833476
>no bloatware installed on my thinkpad
Complex software doesn't just mean bloatware, think things like Blender.

>my ibm thinkpad makes me alot of monero, you dont need new computer to make money fucking retard falling for BIG HARDWARE
For certain jobs, yes you can get away with old hardware, but not everyone works at jobs that can scrape by with XP era machines. Also, you said before you didn't have a job so completely dismissing "mah thinkpad makes me money" as a lie.

>dont forget to buy your new computer so you can write "code" for your boss so you can buy more new hardware KEK RETARD
enjoy your tax
I don't work in software development, plus my work laptop is provided by the company. My personal laptop was cheap for a reason, and I made sure I could upgrade/repair it.
>>
>>101833533
>think things like Blender.
blender is perfect example of bloatware
it literally contains video editor and probably image one aswell, ui changes every other year

>For certain jobs, yes you can get away with old hardware
old hardware works for everything stop making shit up

>Also, you said before you didn't have a job so completely dismissing "mah thinkpad makes me money" as a lie.
you dont need job to make money
i sell video game cheats and make millions

its not job its hobby software i wrote in emacs and cross compiled for gaydows, money and fame is side effect
>>
File: liesontheinternet.jpg (52 KB, 480x360)
52 KB
52 KB JPG
>>101833573
>blender is bloatware because UI changes video/photo editors
>old hardware works for everything because I say it does
>i sell video game cheats and make millions doing something people can just find online
Lol ok sure buddy. Next time you're gonna lie/troll at least make it believable. It was fun until you bad to go full retard about it.
>>
>>101833655
>doing something people can just find online
you wouldnt survive maintaining anti cheat bypass for week

>>blender is bloatware because UI changes video/photo editor
WELL DUH? its meant to be for making scenes, its not fucking game engines

i can just write my own simple software renderer for 3d designing

>Next time you're gonna lie/troll at least make it believable
anyone who has different views = retard
TOP KEK
>It was fun until you bad to go full retard about it.
enjoy your bloat, botnet, malware, poverty, tax
>>
>>101833697
You said you didn't have a job, and now you're an anti-cheat maintainer? Wow, how the story changes.
I'm not saying anyone with different views is a retard, I'm saying that you're retarded because you went from "LOL I don't need a job" to "I am an anti-cheat developer" in the span of three threads. I'm calling you retarded cause you can't keep your story straight.
>enjoy your bloat, botnet, malware, poverty, tax
Run Arch so no bloat, no botnet or malware. Not in poverty, and everyone pays taxes, as you should too if you are really earning any form of currency.
Can't evade the IRS forever.
>>
>>101833748
Sorry, anti-cheat "bypass" developer. Still, it's a job and you're earning income. Report it to the IRS.
>>
>>101833748
>You said you didn't have a job, and now you're an anti-cheat maintainer? Wow, how the story changes.
i said maintaining anti cheat bypass in relation to cheat development ILLITERATE RETARD LEARN 2 READ

>Run Arch so no bloat, no botnet or malware
arch literally has binary blobs in the kernel TOP KEK RETARD its literally malware fucking newfag

like pottery the archfag is brainwashed faggot
>and everyone pays taxes
and everyone buys new hardware aswell i am sure

>Can't evade the IRS forever.
KEK FUCKING RETARDED AMERICAN
>>
File: sarcastic-face.jpg (33 KB, 600x585)
33 KB
33 KB JPG
>>101833784
I corrected myself in >>101833765

Alright fine, I'll humor you. Wow, prefect specimen of a human being anon, I'm so shocked that anti-cheat bypasses can be coded on such an old piece of hardware since anti-cheat engines are so advanced. Pray tell, what software do you develop bypasses for?

And omg, you're so right about Arch, what distro do you use then O Glorious One!?
>>
>>101833765
>Still, it's a job and you're earning income
it really isnt

you dont pay any taxes when you buy or sell on flea market in person

when you buy from online shop you will automatically pay % tax depending on country

>>101833862
>what distro do you use then
own microhypervisor with invisible instrumentation for debugging, linux from scratch with linux libre kernel

>I'm so shocked that anti-cheat bypasses can be coded on such an old piece of hardware
its programming
you dont need new hardware for text editor
i could write everything on paper then compile manually in head and write the binary manually

>what software do you develop bypasses for?
all online AAA slop
>>
>>101833915
Let me guess
Someone else tests the code and tells you when you need to change something
You live in a third world country that is so corrupt that you can get away with what is essentially tax evasion while living with mom and dad to hide from daddy government
And your so skilled at coding that all AAA anti-cheat, literally hundreds of them, cannot keep up with your godly skills.
Is that right?
>>
>>101833982
>tax evasion
its not tax evasion because i dont plan on spending anything anytime soon

i will write tax off when i plan to but the laws will change by then so no reason for me to care today

>while living with mom and dad
is it bad to be close with your parents?
are you implying something about yourself?

>And your so skilled at coding that all AAA anti-cheat, literally hundreds of them, cannot keep up with your godly skills.
its programming
if it runs on your computer you can debug it
you have access to physical memory

retarded baseddev enjoy getting kicked out at 18 underage faggot
>>
>>101834034
Alright well as fun as it was dabbing into the land of make believe with you I think the thread should die now. Have fun with your next troll fest anon, just remember next time make it a bit more believable.
/thread
>>
>>101834066
>troll
AUGHH ANYONE WHO ISNT LIKE ME IS TROLLING

YOU LITERALLY HAVE TO PAY TAX ON EVERYTHING AND BUY LATEST FAGBOOK TO PROGRAM IN JAVA ON GAYBUNTU

>I think the thread should die now
well i dont and it wont
ill keep it alive and it will be forever written in the archives

may it forever be known that you are faggot
>>
>>101831556
Nigger, wtf you doing?
If you really want to code, get a laptop without a GPU and preferably low specs so you can't play games on it. This is the best way to avoid the temptation of playing when you should be studying.
t. someone who have been codding since 14 because my computer was literally a pentim II and there was no games to play,
>>
>>101831556
No you won't, it's a great laptop on its own (comparable to the Dell XPS I have from work in terms of build quality) and you furthermore get
>good upgradability and repairability (nothing soldered or requiring any experience to replace)
>very competitive price if you buy the DIY version with Linux and SSD+RAM from elsewhere
>100% Linux compatibility out of the box
>not giving money to Jewish (Dell) or Chinese (Lenovo) companies
>>
>>101834165
Framework 13 doesn't have a dedicated GPU, so your point about getting a laptop without a GPU is valid here.
He can get something like a 125H Ultra or a used 11th Gen Intel and just code. Problem solved.
>>
>>101834190
>dell
>quality
It's garbage build to last a couple of years.
You are better of with the cheap ideapad, because when somethign breaks (nothing last forever) you can just buy the replacement part on ali express and extend your laptop life indefinitely.

But seriously, Dell is a piece of shit.
>>
>>101834229
Yeah but before the Dell I had an HP and that was a much worse piece of shit
>>
>>101834209
why are you paying more for a inferior product?
Just pay less, lmao.

do you want to know how I pick a laptop?
I look up with VAIO, DELL, HP, Lenovo, Acer and ASUS have to offer in the low tier budget, then I compare the CPUs and then I look up how much ram I can upgrade.
This is a easy way of getting the best without breaking your budget. There is no point on spend on "muh gaymen laptop" or fancy facebook machines.
Currently I am using a VAIO with a AMD Ryzen 5 5500U and 24 GB (8 from factory + 16 that I added from my last laptop) with room for 32GB in the future.
>>
>>101834209
Op most likely won't need anything too powerful if he ever even begins learning. He didn't even specify what he wants to learn. Best for him is to buy an older used laptop and use it until he has enough knowledge to understand what his needs are. At worst he'll switch to a better one after a year of learning and the old one will be left as a test device. By then could be the models he was looking at now will be cheaper.
>>
>>101834331
Can you confirm Framework is inferior for sure? He can get a basic or used 11th Gen Intel one for now and upgrade more as he sees fit later. I was mostly answering the question with Framework in mind.
>>101834416
Honestly, fair point. For learning you don't need anything too powerful, and it does depend on what type of coding he wants to do in the future.
>>
>>101834472
I don't even think they sell this brand in my country.
When you battery die, where you will get a replacement? My last laptop outlive a keybord change, 2 chargers, a battery replacement and one flat cable for the lcd. All easily purchasable from ali express.
>>
>>101834728
Yeah right now they're shipping to US, Canada, Germany, UK, France, Ireland, Austria, Netherlands, and Australia.
You're get the battery from framework's site. I expect when they get more popular that replacements will be available at other locations too.
>>
>>101831899
>collapse of Intel
bro its literally one bad gen lmao stop being so dramatic
>>
>>101833378
Probaly unwise to doxx you and your employer
>>
They're so expensive that you could buy multiple lightly used business laptops (thinkpad etc) for the price, making the upgradability moot.
>>
>>101834786
Two.
And they ignored the problem.
And they are not issuing RMAs for certain customers.
>>
>>101835048
That's every brand now.
Look at the new Lenovo ThinkPads versus the older used ones. A new Lenovo ThinkPad X1 with an Intel Core Ultra is 1,200.00 USD. For that price you can buy multiple used older generation ThinkPads
>>
>>101835079
wowzers, the west has truly fallen
not the heckin rmas!!

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.