[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/g/ - Technology

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: sqt.png (2.97 MB, 1666x2213)
2.97 MB
2.97 MB PNG
old >>101836997
>>
What's a trustworthy place to buy some Ethernet cables? Or rather, trustworthy sellers. Looking to buy 50ft of cat 6.
>>
>>101882858

Are you running it underground? If so you probably already know you want a gel-filled, direct burial, shielded cable with solid conductors.

https://www.truecable.com/

https://www.amazon.com/Outdoor-Shielded-Waterproof-Ethernet-trueCABLE/dp/B01JAVN1C8?th=1
>>
File: ny.jpg (84 KB, 751x684)
84 KB
84 KB JPG
>windows updates while I'm taking a shit
>automatically restarts my computer
>come back
>secondary monitor is working normally
>primary monitor (laptop itself) is black screen
>wut
>tap screen brightness
>it's already max
>go to display settings
>primary/laptop monitor is detected normally
>wut
>tap laptop touchscreen (literally never used it before)
>it works
>clearly the screen isn't broken
>windows just decided to perma-blacken my laptop's monitor while letting the 2nd monitor work fine
>ok
>disconnect HDMI
>laptop monitor stays black
>ok
I just want to go one day using a computer without paying the Indian nonsense tax
>>
>>101882587
ESL newfag here, what does "cnile" mean?
>>
>>101883495
Say it with English pronunciation, Veery slowly
>>
>>101883495
A play on the word "senile", used against people that use C to program, because C is an old language, like the users (probably)
>>
If I have fast internet, but it’s satellite, so ping is awful (like over 500), then how bad would this affect online gaming?
The only game I’ve really tested it on is Squad. Not the most smooth experience, but it’s not AWFUL. That being said, I tried to play DayZ yesterday and couldn’t cause the minimum server ping was over 500, so it automatically wouldn’t let me connect.
>>
>>101883663
Speed and latency are not related. I don't think you'll be playing many online games unless those games are the kind that favour lag like R6 or Destiny 2.
>>
>>101883653
>>101883656
thanks
>>
>>101883681
Well the good news is I think my area is getting fiber optic, or at the very least a normal on earth internet provider, so I’m probably gonna switch over.
>>
built a new pc, didn't notice anything wrong when I was copying terabytes of shit from old one, but now with the new one, hdd becomes unresponsive for several seconds seemingly random, when I'm watching a movie/video file from said HDD
It doesn't disconnect, it doesn't increase the power on count, smart shows nothing wrong afaik, there's no activity that would hijack the read or write of the disk, it just becomes unresponsive and task manager shows 100% usage with 0 speeds(that usage bullshit basically shows latency to respond iirc)
I've changed windows power settings to ultimate performance, tried setting 9999hrs for hdd sleep before, didn't help, sfc scannow shows no problems, chkdsk didn't help
It's win10 iot ltsc, pretty barebones still, have been using it for 2 weeks now, haven't done much with it, just noticed it doing this when my videos would randomly hang up for like 5-10 seconds
any ideas what's the problem with, is the hdd dying? as I've said, didn't notice any problems with the disk when I was copying like 3TB from the old pc, connected the disk then as external
>>
Over the past few weeks I've started to notice games crashing due to an error of my GPU being "out of video memory." I had never ever seen it before and now I'm seeing it once every other week or so.
I don't think I'm doing anything differently than I have been for the months prior when it wasn't happening. Sometimes when it happens I'm running OBS/a replay buffer, but it's also happened where nothing was running except my web browser, Discord, and the game.

Could this be a symptom of a failing graphics card? I've had no other graphics troubles except for that.
>>
>>101882994
No, indoors. Just from one side of my house to the other.
>>
File: rs_IMG_3816.jpg (677 KB, 2000x1500)
677 KB
677 KB JPG
Asking here because there is no crt thread at this time.
Im not really into crts but is this some you're crazy if you dont pick it up deal?
>>
>>101883283
Press win + enter, should swap from second monitor mode to dual monitor mode, repeat a few times if it doesn't work.
>>
>>101885111
It's more likely a sign of the game, your browser, and discord using more memory (or if you're using steam in Linux, Vulcan shaders using more memory).
>>
>>101882587
Is there a way to find recent heavy uses of data on a SSD/Hard drive or the largest files or directories across it? I was downloading some things on one drive but suddenly realized my main boot drive was down do <20GB of space suddenly. I went through installed games and took a few off in case Steam just updated some big shit while I wasn't looking, but I'm not sure if there weren't some temporary files from the torrents that aren't taking up space. Aside from that, I could use a good cleaning anyways.
>>
If nhentai got taken down, would the torrents from there still work?
>>
upon startup of my windows 10 home laptop today i noticed it had a new icon on my taskbar, and i checked and it's copilot. i went to add & remove programs, found it there, and uninstalled it, and somehow that removed it. double checked task manager and nothing there seemed to allude it. is it seriously that easy to remove? is there anything i can do to not have that on my system for as long as possible?
>>
>>101886311
>It's more likely a sign of the game, your browser, and discord using more memory
More than they used to, you mean? It's happened with two different games so far, and it used to happen with neither (in the sense that it used to never happen at all.)
What aspects of a web browser occupy video memory? I have a ludicrous number of tabs open, but that's never been an issue before. Would it more likely be some change to the browser software itself that would cause it to consume more than it used to?
Is there any fix aside from keeping more things closed while games are running or upgrading my GPU?
>>
is there a form of a laptop that allows me to just use it as a monitor and keyboard? or can i just use my own laptop i already own in some way? it's fine if it's wired up somehow, i just want to take advantage of my strong pc in a small form factor environment for music production
>>
>>101887798
Could use VNC applications
>>101886660
Idk if they let you do it still, but if you hide the update from the update manager then it won't reinstall itself.
>>101886388
As long as there's still peers/seeds
>>101886350
WinDirStat
>>
>>101887798
>i just want to take advantage of my strong pc in a small form factor environment for music production
remote desktop?
>>
>>101886388
Depends who actually tracks them. What do the torrents look like? I mean what's in the tracker list?
t. knows shit about nhentai
>>
Hi
Is there a way to move clover to a new phone without losing all the data? I used the samsung smart switch app and it moved the apps but without all the saved threads

If I move the apk itself would it help? thanks
>>
how do you guys combat information overload?
>>
>>101889793
Hot shower, wank, zone out on a video game or TV show.
>>
im getting cors errors for all images on 4chan on any browser that's chromium based. anybody know why?
>>
>>101889864
You and a whole lot of other people. Problem is on 4chans end far as I know, Most likely is2.4chan.org, and it's been going on for a few weeks but it's worse than ever today.
>>
>>101882587
Should I be worried about my new PC parts potentially overloading an old outlet? When I plugged in a space heater last winter to the surge strip, the fuse got tripped after an hour.
>>
I'm using gallery-dl to get shit from paheal but while I can get metadata and shit it doesn't give me what's linked in the source under the pic, is there a way to get this?
>>
File: 1694730241603633.jpg (41 KB, 640x640)
41 KB
41 KB JPG
Any recommendations for website caching/downloading tools?

I've got a temporary login for a site full of documentation I'd like a local copy of.
>>
>>101891909
https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/save-page-we/dhhpefjklgkmgeafimnjhojgjamoafof

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/save-page-we/
>>
why won't 4chan let me open images
>>
I was going to ask a question but I figured it out and PMed myself the solution.
>>
File: 1695075862599435.png (309 KB, 870x1174)
309 KB
309 KB PNG
>install a Samsung 980 Pro and WD SN850X about at the same time
>new hwmonitor now shows stats for it like up time
>the SN850X has more than double the amount of hours than the 980 Pro
How is this possible? Did WD sell me a used drive as new? I don't remember if I ever looked at CrystalDiskInfo after installing them and setting them up, but if I did it must have looked normal then.
There also seemed to be a bug in the firmware for the SN850X that would cause W11 to crash when waking up from sleep for a time. I did update it eventually, but could that have caused this too? Maybe it wouldn't go to sleep properly and that's why things kept crashing.
>>
I finally found something worth of becoming an archivingchizo/data hoarder, but my 2tb SSD means nothing in the vast sea of data
That being said, are SSDs equal to a default HDD in terms of speed and reliability?
>>
So, for some reason the passwords did not exist in a file, which sucks since my dad needs them to login to his email. I copied the files from his fucked hard drive, but using stuff like Chromepass doesn't show the passwords. Not sure what to do. Is it possible that backing up the files made it copy without the passwords, and that viewing the files on the old fried hard drive might have them still?
>>
>>101895966
Never mind, tried this, but the drive won't even show up now. Which is weird since before it worked well enough to get files off of it before fully dying.
>>
>>101896159
>>101895966
Follow up question: Is it even possible to restore at this point? Technical support wasn't helpful, he provided everything and used the same IP and more with it, but after everything they didn't do shit, and there is only 10 year old documents for what it could be
>>
In java can you get multiple inputs in a window without using JTextField?
>>
What do I do if I live in a location where the only internet I can get is Satellite internet with 500 ping and I wanna play online games?
>>
>>101896915
Take up online board games
>>
File: 512.jpg (29 KB, 448x320)
29 KB
29 KB JPG
Is this a good sd card?
I looked on local suppliers and ain't nobody got that UHS II sd cards, will this do?

[spoiler] pretty sure my 256 GB has the same specs but since this is twice the memory I am quite weary, though my 256 did reach 200 GB, but I very often write and delete files off of it so I'm scared it will brick up like me olde 128GB, and brotha, I can't format sdeez past 64gig cap. [/spoiler]
>>
>>101895825
>are SSDs equal to a default HDD in terms of speed and reliability?
No. SSDs are faster until you start comparing 12gb/s 7200rpm SAS drives with gigabytes of cache, and those are hardly what any consumer considers normal. Hard drives don't bitrot nearly as quick as SSDs when powered down. Hard drives however are cheaper and generally speaking fast enough when you don't need to load entire gigabytes of stuff into RAM at once.
>>
>>101892100
Hmm, Singlefile seems like it's a bit better for bulk archiving and automatically archiving as your browse. At the cost of having to move the files out of your downloads directory all the time.
>>
File: 1713772133977621.png (16 KB, 414x462)
16 KB
16 KB PNG
/g/, what do these options do?
I have a bunch of them for my headphones but sometimes, if I pick the lowest option, some older games completely fail to make literally any sound until I turn it back down to some lower value.
Is there an "ideal" setting for this menu?
I don't know fucking anything about how sound or sound-hardware works.
>>
I have a Denon AVR-S540BT that just started acting up. I bought it used from Best Buy around five or six years ago. I have four HDMI devices plugged into it, and the audio comes out of a soundbar through the AV receiver's headphone jack (I have a small room; bite me).

Tonight, I was playing on my Xbox 360 when all of the sudden static started coming out of the soundbar. I could still hear the game audio, but the static is too loud to be ignored. I disconnected and reconnected the sound bar and the static persisted. I unplugged the soundbar for the receiver and plugged in my head phones. The static was still present. I pressed the Xbox button on my controller to bring up the menu. Once there was no more game audio, the static stopped as well. But every time I moved my D-Pad static played along with the blip sound that indicates you highlighted something else in the menu.

Changing inputs removed the static, but only for a few minutes. I'm convinced that the issue is with something inside the receiver. Are there any other troubleshooting methods I can try? If not, what would be a suitable replacement? I don't have room for actual speakers, so a receiver might be overkill. My TV and soundbar have SPDIF ports. Would it be better to just get an HDMI splitter and directly connect the TV to the soundbar?
>>
Some source code I downloaded has a makefile.in and I can't for the life of my figure out how to get this shit installed.
>Waterfox-Class
>Linux Mint 21.3
>>
Trying to learn regex to make 4chanX and Chance filters.
I want to substitute the repetitive use of (thread|bread|general|etc), which is something that can get quite long, and just make it one thing. Something like (regex_thread) or whatever.
All the examples online use tools with input areas, (like regex101 dot com has an area to type the substitution) but 4chanX filters doesn't have this, it's just a simple area to type text. I don't know how to take the things you create in these places and put them into where you need them, like 4chanX or even the 4chan app Chance.
So basically, how to I replace (thread|bread|general|etc) with (regex_thread) in the 4chanX filter?
>>
>>101882858
See if home depot still has it for a good price.
>>
> Windows 10 updated, changed my desktop wallpaper and installed McAfee

I here this so much. I know I'm a stupid beg but could one of you guys tell me how to stop this thing from updating and get rid of McAfee? I've heard it doesn't let you uninstall it all the way and I already tried Shut Up 10
>>
>>101882858
Monoprice in the US. Home improvement shops IME are only good for bulk spools.
>>
i got a crt recently and the screen wobbles like crazy at 85hz. the manual says its primary is 1024x768 @ 85hz. i have to lower it to 60hz for the screen to be steady. i tried multiple cables and PCs and its the same with everything. has to be some weird internal issue right?
>>
>>101899706
Use Privatezilla to tell Windows 10 to stop updating. Do that and you'll never get another update again (until you want to).
>>
What is the point of these threads if 99% of all questions are ignored?
>>
>>101899923
bad caps.
>>
>>101891849
You need to enable 'metadata' (-o metadata=1)
https://gdl-org.github.io/docs/configuration.html#extractor-paheal-metadata
>>
Is an alice layout good for ergonomics or should i just get a split. Also is there a cheapo split (min 65%) with ok switches that can ship to uae?
>>
>>101899923
might be weak capacitors, should look into getting it recapped
>>
>>101899472
The substitution means what the matched text will be replaced with. It's not a way to create a shortening/macro? At least if I understand you right (chance dev here)
>>
>have laptop
>buy dp 1.4 to usbc connector for 2nd montior
>shit refuses to work. detects the usbc being inserted but no display on 2nd monitor
>debloated and pajeet scripted my windows install so windows update is broken so i cant update drivers etc.
>try basic troubleshooting, switching gpus, no avail
>buy hdmi cable instead
>literally plug and play, but wondering if i can get displayport to work for the extra bandwidth and also it not being a deprecated technology

Anything I can do?
>>
What's the lowest latency way of reading TCP on Linux? Just a synchronous read from a non-blocking tcp socket? I can use a dedicated core per socket so that's fine but are there better ways? Asio etc. seem to have some overhead.
>>
So the router for my house is in one of the bedrooms but my gf and i will have our setup in a different room. if we installed an ethernet port in the room were in how do i connect both our computers to the router? do i just need a switch in our room? does it need much setup? or do you think its not even worth it and we should just go wireless?
>>
>>101902459
Switch will do, it requires zero setup. Totally worth cabling it.
>wireless
How about both? Do the cabling AND place an extra access point there. You just "extended the Wi-Fi" like it's done by the big boys.
>>
>>101902507
the rooms arent too far away from each other so im not sure how overkill it would be, but i suppose thats one solution. she sort of wants wired but im ok with wireless, though i dont know if it means more latency in our gaming/ transfers?
>>
>>101902533
Wired is good because of low latency and because it never fails. Also zero setup.
Try running a network drive over a choppy link.
>>
>>101902544
>Try running a network drive over a choppy link.
ohh actually thats something i was wondering about as well, im not sure how to hook my pc to watch movies on my tv, rn i just have a second pc in the loungeroom. i used to use a pi but it was shit so now i just use old pc parts
>>
How can I make my phone (running Android 14) require a screen unlock to answer a call? There used to be some pajeet apps that did this but they don't work anymore.
>>
I just had some ram die on me. The contacts looked smudgy with black stuff and cleaning them did nothing
My pc is at half capacity for memory and I know the other one works because I isolated it
Is it just shitty ram or is my mobo on the way out or something? Got them both in 2016
>>
File: 1567224014672.gif (287 KB, 640x400)
287 KB
287 KB GIF
I have a program running on another computer and need it to just send me a ping every 10 mins or so, so I know the computer hasnt been switched off.

Whats the simplest way to do this?
>>
>>101902725
You need to be more specific. Do you want to know if the program itself is running or just that the computer is? Is this other machine on your network or someplace else?
>>
File: 1590721638000.gif (981 KB, 500x475)
981 KB
981 KB GIF
>>101902779
I need to know that the program is still running on the computer.
The other computer is elsewhere but has internet.

Is just sending ping through cmd via the program the best way?
How to I "view" the pings on my end?
>>
>>101902837
You said you wanted a simple solution, not an elegant one, so your best option would be a cronjob and healthchecks.io or a similar service.
>>
>>101903031
>healthchecks.io
Ah this will work, thanks
>>
how do i connect my wii to my pc monitor? its only got display port and hdmi
>>
Does anyone have a userscript to bypass tumblr's retarded login wall? I can remove it with the element picker, but the page auto-scrolls back to the top if I go too far down.
>>
File: Ibmi-main-menu.png (36 KB, 1370x900)
36 KB
36 KB PNG
>>101882587
Font name?
>>
>>101902725
Bash script.
>>
File: common.png (412 KB, 640x352)
412 KB
412 KB PNG
Is there really no good program to organizing digital index cards like this?
>>
>Need to buy something off the internet
>Can only find it on one site atm (site is legit)
>Product is quasi legal so there's an element of secrecy surrounding it
>Tells me once I fill in the details I'll be taken to BTCPay
>Have no idea wtf that is, but I know it's crypto related

How the fuck do I pay with this btcpay shit bros?I have absolutely no idea about anything related to crypto.
>>
>>101905274
hrt?
>>
>>101905545
Yeah.
>>
>>101905562
i have no idea about that particular website but some ive seen just forward the payment automatically. best of luck (do consider going official though, its not that hard in most places)
>>
>>101905562
I was literally just typing out a detailed reply but thank God I refreshed the thread. Fucking kill yourself, degenerate.
>>
>>101902725
If it's unix-like machine you could consider cron
>>
>>101905586
I've filled in the details and it just gives me a QR code and an address I can copy.
I think I'll try the address rather than the QR code.
>do consider going official though, its not that hard in most places
It's not for me it's for my sister (brother).

>>101905591
It's for my sister (brother).
Please don't be mean.
>>
Making my own esolang in Go. It has a keyword that creates a new process and an empty list, then puts return values into the list as they finish. In the following example new processes get a copy of the variable n, while filling in the n2 list upon finishing.
ran = range 10
for ran->n:
process n->n2:
return n^2
while (len ran)>(len n2):
sleep 0.01
print n2

What would be the least shitty way of waiting until all the processes created by process keyword are done? I was thinking of making a custom function that halts the program until a condition is met, but that is still very similar to just making the while loop.
>>
>>101905274
>Get wallet
>Buy crypto
>Transfer to wallet
>Input wallet credentials at shady site
>>
>>101903190
Analog converter
>>
>>101902837
Simple way would be TeamViewer, harder way would be hosting a VPN on the remote computer and using ssh or vnc to access it.
>>
>>101898311
IIRC you want the highest bit depth (24 for you), and 48khz. Then just leave it
>>
>turn on voicemeeter
>cpu temps ramp up
is there anything that does the exact same job but less cpu intensive/more optimized?
>>
>>101905621
If you loved your brother you would try and help him not hate himself so much , and not be hated so much, that he feels he has to become a woman to escape all this hatred and inadequacy or whatever other problems he has in his life.
>>
>>101899472
Does 4chanX even support substitutions?
>>
>>101906300
Holy shit, I forgot about that program. I take it you're on windows?
>>
Had massive troubles with USB hubs with them disconnecting. Finally took one with female B connector, pulled the sprongs out from the other side, pushed them back in and the thing became sturdy as any. So yeah, stretch them.
/blog
>>
>>101906705
yes, win10pro.

I just want something that's actually good and doesn't shit up my cpu temps
>>
>>101901239
bump
>>
>>101906402
I've tried for a long time.
I'm only doing it because he's already been scammed three times and I don't want it to happen again. So I said I would get it.
>>
>>101901239
Reinstall Windows.
>>
File: Capture.png (15 KB, 980x268)
15 KB
15 KB PNG
How does jeetcode measure the memory metric? Is it memory accesses(read, write)? I don't see how it could be ram usage.
>>
>>101908307
I just copy pasted and submitted one of the supposed low memory solutions. Of course, it was as high in memory as your solution. So clearly they don't measure it consistently.
>>
>>101908654
Thanks for checking.
>>
is there any good way on linux to watch music videos/live shows outside of just downloading them from youtube and playing them with mpv? i use tauon music box for regular songs and i like having it track listens, ratings, and the search feature, but i don't know anything like that for music with a video. maybe kodi?
>>
Gelbooru doesn't allow paid content and sankaku is a fucking mess, is there a better option?, I'm willing to contribute.
>>
i need a software/tool that will basically:

-compare the filenames between 2 folders
-show me which folders match filenames that arent seen in the other folder
-IGNORE extensions (so file.txt and file.mp3 dont bring up differences in either folder)

So for instance if I have folder1 and folder2, i want to know which files in folder1 have filenames (minus extensions) that aren't seen in folder2. And vice versa. I'm on Windows

I've tried asking chatgpt and it keeps hallucinating and telling me bullshit
>>
>>101910900
That's like a 10 minute script, just list all files on each directory, cut the extensions off with regex and look for lines of file1 on file2 on a loop.
>>
I got some manga from the humble bundle, and it's in either .pdf or .epub format. What's a good way to read those on Android? Everything else I've read has been .cbz using Tachiyomi
>>
With qemu(and libvirt too) when I do some usb pass-through shenanigans how the hell do I see my guest's mouse cursor? It's either invisible or stuck in the middle but still changing icon if I hover text or open programs. It's a problem on both linux and windows guests, show-cursor doesn't fix the problem, and removing all spice or qxl stuff isn't doing anything either.
Feels like I'm going crazy because almost no one has that problem and there's jackshit about it be it in the man page or both gentoo and arch wiki.
>>
is 1 usb 2.0 slot really enough to power the motor/laser AND transfer data to/from a sata 525 8x dvdrw drive?
>>
Does anyone know how molly white made/makes her sites - specifically the reading list part?

https://www.mollywhite.net/reading/fiction
>>
>>101912806
Spice is really fast but sometimes buggy, use VNC instead if you are having trouble.
>>
>>101913009
For linux guests I actually was using -device virtio-vga-gl and -vga none so no spice involved at all but I still had no cursor unless i enable show-cursor but it still wouldn't move.
>>
>>101912927
not a 5.25" one, but a laptop style one usually. depending on the port you may need to use two usb ports for reliable use. i use one regularly and haven't had to use two usb ports for a long time, most computers have enough power on their usb ports to handle it, but you will want a short usb cable (longer cables can't deliver as much power due to the resistance of the cable itself)
>>
>>101912806
if you're passing through a usb mouse, you may want to disable or reconfigure the emulated mouse
my guess is that the cursor you see is being rendered locally for latency reasons, and the guest cursor is hidden to prevent double cursors. but since you're passing through a mouse, you're moving only the invisible guest cursor
in fact i know that's what they do, since you can for example put the cursor on the right/bottom edges and it will not be cut off by the edge of the guest's display, demonstrating that it is in fact locally-rendered
>>
File: 2024-08-15_17-08.png (40 KB, 692x460)
40 KB
40 KB PNG
Anyone good with networking?
I'm trying to assign static IP's to all my devices for some IoT bullshit and struggling with static IP's
I'm assigning them in my router as shown, when I go to turn my DHCP server off in the router software nothing will connect and I have to factory reset the router.
Am I missing something? DHCP on the client side shouldn't affect this, right?
>>
>>101914542
oh here is my routing table with DHCP server on
default via 192.168.0.1 dev enp3s0 proto dhcp src 192.168.0.100 metric 100 
192.168.0.0/24 dev enp3s0 proto kernel scope link src 192.168.0.100 metric 100
>>
>>101914542
How do you expect the devices to know what their IPs are if you only assign them on the router and don't allow your router to use DHCP to tell them?
>>
>>101914677
so they need to be assigned on the client side too?
>>
>>101914691
Correct, there's only a server/client relationship for DHCP, but network-wise they are peers.
>>
>>101914734
okay i'll look into it. thanks.
>>
Out of all the online providers like codecademy, neetcode etc, which do you feel is the best option for a broke student? Willing to drop on something if it's not dogshit.
>>
>>101914734
Alright so I was able to assign an IP to the link device and bound it in my router. e.g.
2: eth0 <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc mq state UP group default qlen 1000
link/ether 4c:cc:6a:8a:52:20 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
inet 192.168.0.2/24(#address I assigned via) brd 192.168.0.255 scope global dynamic noprefixroute eth0

I deleted the old entry generated from DHCP

It was still pulling addresses from the DHCP daemon so I disabled that on the client side(still active on the router). SO both the link and the router are aware of the address I want to assign.
Now the link won't connect at all.
>>
>>101915181
actually this should be
Alright so I was able to assign an IP to the link device and bound it in my router. e.g.

2: eth0 <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc mq state UP group default qlen 1000
link/ether 4c:cc:6a:8a:52:20 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
inet 192.168.0.2/24(#address I assigned via) scope global eth0
>>
What happend to AI voices? I feels like any kind of discussion around it just dissappeared the moment it got paywalled few years ago.I also want Emma watson or any hot celebrity voices if you guys can help
>>
>>101914771
chatgpt 3.5, phind, claude etc
>>
>>101898101
Thanks for the QRD, anon. For archiving lots of large video files and webpages I guess a HDD would be better then, it's not like I would be accessing all that stuff at once. I'll look into a good one, thanks!
>>
>>101914771
https://thepiratebay.org/description.php?id=19306880
>>
>>101900292
Thank you Anon. You are truly a bro.
>>
please be patient. What do I setup so that any data on mobile smartphone it goes through my home network and uses its Internet-facing IP as the source IP?
>>
>>101915649
go to your settings and look for connections. connect to your wifi there.
you should also have the option to turn off your wireless radio. turn that off.
on android you can do all of this by swiping down from the top on the home screen
>>
>>101915710
outside my wifi range
>>
>>101912997
right click -> view page source
>>
>>101915649
enable tethering and then bridge with pfsense or something
>>
>>101915777
Setup openvpn server, set static IP and port forwarding and firewall expectations. Use VPN on your phone.
>>
>>101914542
Leave DHCP on for other devices and manually assign static IP via binding?
>>
File: Orange-Pi-One-2.jpg (360 KB, 800x800)
360 KB
360 KB JPG
>>101915925
>>101915649
Tried to bridge USB-CDC-Ethernet to actual Ethernet once, made the thing kernel panic. If I remember correctly it was picrel in question.
(assumed he meant an actual bridge, not NAT (bet NAT would've worked))
Also wonder what the tethering Android would've thought when MORE devices ask for DHCP thru the port.
>>
>>101914542
>I'm trying to assign static IP's to all my devices for some IoT bullshit and struggling with static IP's
That's not what manual IPs mean to me. To me it means going to the individual devices and assign IPs, not configure the lease table on a router.
Also when doing that, raise the DHCP lease range to something like 192.168.0.100 and leave 2-99 for manually assigned devices.
ALSO remember IPv6 link-locals exist, they are sometimes helpful when doing local stuff.
>>
why the FUCK are thumbnails not loading on this site
trying on a different browser has the same problem
>>
File: shitty leave planner.png (365 KB, 1984x1368)
365 KB
365 KB PNG
For some reason management have asked me to make a staff leave planner and I've tried to cobble something together based on the specifications they gave me;
>limited to Excel
>it has to track every day across the financial year
>all the different leave types need their own colour-coding
>the totals need to be summarised in a way where it's visually easy to tell if they'll be shorthanded

What I've got here kind of works but the performance is total ass because Excel either calculates everything or nothing.

Is there any way to escape all the =SUMIF/SUMPRODUCT bullshit or am I fucked?
>>
File: what48.png (62 KB, 347x273)
62 KB
62 KB PNG
all the times i was taught about encapsulation i was told the same analogy "if you are a bank app you must store the password in a private variable so nobody can look at it", this is dumb right? from what i can see classes and encapsulation only serve to not allow programmers who use your libraries to incorrectly get/set values, is this correct?
so a better analogy would be "if you are a bank app you must store the password as private so that dude_who_uses_bank.h doesn't accidentally modify it locking out his clients from their bank accounts"
>>
My co worker said he puts his laptop in the fridge when it heats up so it can cool down
Is this retarded?
>>
>>101919414
>Is this retarded?
yes, it's important that you try to keep stable climatic conditions in the fridge for best food preservability
>>
>>101919509
i mean like for the computer does it not damage it?
i understand they are made to work on outside temperature but wouldnt fridge be too much?
>>
>>101919559
i don't know where you're from but 8°C is a common outside temperature here
sharp temperature gradients certainly aren't good for electronic components but i doubt it's significant in this case unless he's planning to hand the laptop down to his grandkids
>>
File: mpv-shot0001.jpg (21 KB, 854x480)
21 KB
21 KB JPG
how does youtube know people's age groups?
>>
>>101919634
people putting in their birth date when making a google account
this shit is never accurate though, people always lie on this stuff
>>
>>101919609
goddammit so it isint stupid i fucked with him for no reason
>>
what vps host are people using these days? preferably one that won't get taken down for saying faggot or something.
>>
>>101914321
>disable or reconfigure the emulated mouse
If there's a way I couldn't find it. Best I found was to either switch the default PS/2 mouse to an usb one or completely disable usb but no "disable all inputs and let me explicitly enable what I want"
>>
File: vrooom.jpg (43 KB, 802x296)
43 KB
43 KB JPG
retard here. How can I run this c# project?

When I run the database server or student business tier, I get a window saying the server is online. But when I run the client or asynch client, I get this error:
TCP error code 10061: No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it 127.0.0.1:8200

Am I getting this error because I'm not running the DB project and the client project simultaneously? Only had one project in my solution before, so I'm out of my element here.
>>
File: Hetzner - locations.png (61 KB, 1100x368)
61 KB
61 KB PNG
>>101919933
There isn't a specific one. Requirements on locations and payment methods?
>>
>>101920318
i kind of just want a space to play with various things, but nothing resource intensive (maybe like 2vCPU/2gb or something). just an xmpp server or whatever else comes to mind.. location isn't important, preferably on the lower end of price. as long as it accepts normal card payments that's acceptable, crypto maybe a bonus in the future i guess.
>>
>>101920395
>lower end of price
Every time I find something cheaper than Hetzner its super sketchy two year contract or some bullshit like that.
>>
>>101920600
i'll give them a look, thank you.
>>
How the heck do I make Kurobaex last page notifications work, I already gave it every permission it needs to
>>
Want to start programming as a hobby. Is Rust too hard for beginners?
>>
>>101920788
its not that rust is difficult, its that python would have much better learning resourced and will also get you making programmes way faster. anecdote:
one semester of java - i was making shitty hypothetical programmes that didnt actually do anything
one week of python - i built a threadwatcher for 4chan
>>
what is the usecase for 64bg of ram? do any games, emulators, etc use it? seems like most programmes are constrained by vram.
>>
File: androids.jpg (185 KB, 738x461)
185 KB
185 KB JPG
>>101920864
64 is recommended for Android developers. Or generally if you compile large projects or have a lot of CPU cores to spare.
>>
>>101917387
thank you, this one is actually it
>>
is it bad to do 60hz from hdmi on 50hz crt pal tv ?
>>
>>101923779
no
most pal sets can do ntsc anyway, meaning they're intended to handle 60hz
>>
>>101882587
now that I have jailbroken my kindle, what else can I do with it beyond running Koreader and Syncthing?
>>
>>101924008
you can set custom wallpapers.
i went down the kindle hacking rabbithole once and ultimately concluded it was mostly useless. even koreaders not that great. i just use calibre to synch my books
>>
>>101924030
>you can set custom wallpapers.
yeah, but I like having the current book's cover as a screensaver, so jailbreaking is useless even for that.
>>
I have a light switch in my room with a dimmer connected to one of the outlets. Do I just need to buy a dimmable lightbulb, pop it into a lamp and I can instantly dim it from the dim switch?
>>
File: Front_500.jpg (207 KB, 500x437)
207 KB
207 KB JPG
>be TCL/Alcatel Mobile
>cheap as fuck
>host GPL source on SourceForge
>hit storage limit
>start deleting old files to make up space
Has anyone archived this repo:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/alcatel/
I'm looking for the files for model 5045D.
>>
>>101924184
That's the idea, yeah.
>>
How can I build a performance profile for a desktop application? I need to run a software on a PC, but the performance is struggling when using certain functions of the software. I am planning to upgrade my CPU but I do not know what metrics I should prioritize for it whether it's number of cores, cache size, or single threaded performance. How can I easily profile my application to better choose a CPU? (on windows)
>>
File: unknown.jpg (82 KB, 918x589)
82 KB
82 KB JPG
>moved a large folder (~600gb) on my hard drive to a different area on the hard drive
>saw the folder was still in the orignal location
>tried to open it and got an error that it doesn't exist
>checked the location i moved it to
>the folder isn't there either
>windirstat shows a this chunk of the hard drive as "unknown" (only when i run as admin)
>won't let me do anything here to access the files though
>tried deep scanning with recuvva, files don't show up

anyway i can get these files back?
>>
>>101924596
Without having benchmarks, it's hard to know what CPU will actually run your software t he bets.

What's the software, what's your current CPU, and what's your budget?
>>
>thinking about installing openwrt on my router for 802.11w and fun
>doing some googling about it and such
>find this suggestion that has been a running thread for ~8 years
see pic related
Do these people even know what their doing? what the fuck? *possibly harmless* kernel warning/crash

if there were even exploitable things in this guys build, would he even know about it? pic rel is from the guy that started the thread 8 years ago

Any tips or input on openwrt? is this shit safe?
>>
>>101925265
forgot pic
>>
File: Transmission_Icon.png (99 KB, 1024x1024)
99 KB
99 KB PNG
>migrate a desktop Transmission session to Transmission-Daemon on another system
>copy torrents over
>copy the user data over, change ownership etc
>tweak a couple of config options
>start daemon, works, all torrents there
It works but the config has loads of leftover settings that are obviously desktop-only. Is there a cleaner way of doing this?
(übercool I could just set the password in the config and it got hashed automatically)
>>
>>101924790
The software is propresenter 7, with a Ryzen 3200U. Budget: the absolute minimum. The software works ok, until I start syncing my libraries and playlists to an external folder. Then it freezes completely for several minutes until it is done.
It's more about knowing what specific type of workload it lags on for me. I would like to know if the limiting factor is single-threaded performance, multi-threaded, disk IO, or anything else so I can buy the cheapest CPU that improves on that type of workload.
>>
>>101925982
What do you mean by "an external folder"? Disk IO might be the bottleneck.
>>
>>101901215
Ah okay thanks for the clarification.
>>
>>101925982
Also that's a laptop CPU. Is your computer a laptop?
>>
>>101925265
OpenWRT is safe. I can't vouch for that build for that model but I will say this, the last official firmware is from January 2022
You gotta ask yourself what is your threat model, do you trust the random warnings and errors less than you do leaving it 2 year out of date? The R7800 is a pretty popular model for OpenWRT and nobody has found anything so far
>Any tips or input on openwrt? is this shit safe?
Use a stable build so you get the luci interface, don't forget to set your country's region code for the 2.4ghz and 5ghz radios
>>
>>101926048
Propresenter likes to manage the media library on its own like iTunes would, so if you want to share presentations with other users you have to use something like a dropbox folder and use the built-in sync function. The folder itself is on the same SSD, and while I can't remember the exact model I know for sure that it was a decent drive so I am fairly sure this is not an IO issue due to the drive.
>>
>>101926082
No, it's a desktop. I may have the model number wrong. Maybe it was a 3200G. I don't remember it from the top of my head and I am not in front of the computer now.
>>
>>101926341
>>101926082
I see.
I guess you should just run a sync with task manager open so you can see which part of your computer is under the most load.
3200G is more plausible for a socketed chip in a desktop. In that case a 5600G would probably be a good upgrade path for you, but you'll want to see where your system is being hit first.
>>
>>101925265
>Do these people even know what their doing?
No not really. This is what you get when the *manufacturer* doesn't at least help with their devices.
>>
All of my neighbors are using automatic channels on their 5Ghz networks. They all seem to be using 40mhz non-dfs. I set mine to 20mhz on channel 165 to avoid interference. Is that stupid?
>>
File: 1723332653601730.jpg (89 KB, 976x850)
89 KB
89 KB JPG
Will multi-GPU setups ever make a comeback?
>>
>>101928293
no
>>
The OSD menu on my monitor has decided to start wigging out, randomly turning on+off repeatedly. Thankfully it's in the corner and not in the middle but any remedies? It has physical buttons, not the touch-sensitive things. Seems it's only one button/menu flipping out which is the default exit button so it's not randomly changing settings too.
Acer if it matters. Already tried the power off and unplug ordeal. A cursory search only has unresolved questions, including the ever popular
>PM your monitor details and I'll get information to you

>>101928293
Only mining and ai now.
>>
https://youtu.be/JszGeQPTo4w&t=913
>manually configuring a switch port with vlan id 1 as untagged, and vlans 10, 20 and 30 as tagged

Is he referring to a trunk or access port here? Am I just confusing cisco terms with ieee standard terms here? Are trunk ports even used for devices like computers etc because I thought that's what access ports were for, and access ports only support one vlan that is untagged.
>>
>>101882587
>3 of 24
>100% utilization
What am I doing wrong?
>>
My mom needs one of these or something similar. Does anybody know any good ones? 3 I bought already broke...so I dunno anymore man...
>>
>>101925306
You could start with a fresh config and add+verify all the torrents so they don't download again, there is a big gotcha with the daemon, any settings you change while it is running will be lost, you have to shut it down, edit the file then restart.
>>
File: 1620770498357.jpg (232 KB, 1060x1500)
232 KB
232 KB JPG
How to get better at regex?
I wrote something and needed to match a part of URL, and kept changing it because there was these weird characters that I kept facing and finally went from this
(?<=\/)[\w\-\.\'\(\)]+$

to this
^.+(?<=\/)\K.+
>>
File: 1624134101483.jpg (1.16 MB, 4096x2730)
1.16 MB
1.16 MB JPG
I always wondered how people always said writing script is easy, I never usedIDE for this.
I spend years writing scripts in a text editor with no syntax highlight.
How do they do it?
>>
>>101931244
have a project that needs regex to extract data like units of measurement incl their corresponding values and convert etc
>>
is it possible to have an image gallery that scrolls down vertically for half the page, but then for the next half it scrolls horizontally? not sure if that makes sense but what i mean is you scroll down normally initially, but then at some point in the page it changes to scroll like this https://css-tricks.com/pure-css-horizontal-scrolling/ where you still move the scroll wheel down, but now the images scroll to the right or left
>>
Installed fresh fedora 40 and software keeps opening to the "gstreamer1-plugins-bad-free-extras" page. Package is already installed. What could cause this? I also noticed some video is choppy in chrome but not firefox, like it's stuttering through each frame instead of displaying and moving on to the next.

>>101930521
IDK maybe find the most expensive one you can find.
>>
File: Capture.png (20 KB, 408x220)
20 KB
20 KB PNG
I'm building a new computer and want to use my current NVMe but only for storage, as I will be getting a new NVMe t install a new OS on. However, my current NVMe has my current OS installed on it. Is there a way to keep my files other than my OS on my current NVMe?
>>
How do I search for posts containing the "%" character in archives?
>>
>>101933908
You could remove it, insert your new disk, install your OS on that, then insert your old disk and delete all the partitions except the one that has your data on it, then delete all the folders that aren't the data you want to save.
>>
>>101933961
Ok, that makes sense. My plan was to build the new PC with the new NVMe, install the new OS, then install the old NVMe and move all the data over to the new NVMe, but I don't know what I shouldn't move over (as in, I'm not sure if I would ruin anything if I just dragged and dropped everything). If I have to go through more meticulously and pick out everything individually, I guess that really wouldn't take too long.
>>
How can I keep two external disks synced? I have two external hdds that I use for backup/external storage and want to keep them identical, but one drive is only connected sometimes. I basically want it to act like Windows briefcases.
>>
I have some JBL wireless headphones, and they sound louder in my phone (android) than in my laptop (w10), what should I check to see why is that? Or is it something I can't change? (in the laptop I mean)
>>
>>101934180
check your sound settings. Not the new windows 10 one, the older sound control panel. If you right click the speaker icon, I think it's "Sounds"
>>
>>101934171
Robocopy?
>>
>>101934171
>>101934220
Forgot to add, I'm on Linux.
>>
>>101897364
What the fuck are you talking about?
>>
>>101933546
yes
>>
>>101900292
>>101915638
Update: I've downloaded Privatezilla and Win 10 is still doing forced updates. Any advice on how to fix this?
>>
>>101930399
What tasks are you running? I imagine memory is for cache and the processing speed is what's being used. So you're running a small application at full speed.
>>
>>101933908
Shrink volume, create partition, copy files to partition, delete volumes, expand partition.
>>
>>101934762
>So you're running a small application at full speed.
You're exactly right. It's just a script transcribing a little audio for a few minutes in the background.
I have another PC that can perform that function 2 or 3X faster with a GPU that's half the size which is what got me in such a fuss today.
My 'backup' 4ram GPU outperforms my new 8ram gpu?!!!! Roar!
>>
>>101935052
Your CPU probably shits on them both
>>
File: ASK-MAE340_F[1].png (79 KB, 565x565)
79 KB
79 KB PNG
I'm considering MOCA. After looking through the MOCA Alliance website, it seems the easiest to get MOCA that is on that certified product list is Verizon's.
https://www.verizon.com/home/accessories/moca-ethernet-adapter/

Does anyone know if this will work standalone as in 2 adapters and a single coaxial connecting them? Will it work without Fios?
>>
>>101935695
Call their customer support and ask about it.
>>
I just downloaded a game and have a problem when i try to launch it saying that the entry for the process CreateFile 2 is not found in the dinamic links library KERNEL32.dll
Any idea what it could be?
>>
I have an android phone connected to my ssh server which I connect to from overseas. Debugging mode is on and adb works fine.
What tools do I need to be able to pick up and route the audio of calls to the phone through to my laptop here and of course pipe my laptop mic audio back to my phone?
>>
>>101935695
Website doesn't open for me. Is that the thing that bridges Ethernet over coaxial?
>as in 2 adapters and a single coaxial connecting them?
No, doesn't work like that. The tech is way too simple for that.
What's Fios?
>>
>>101935695
Woman behavior. Just tie a cat6 cable to one end of the coax and use the other end of the coax to pull it through the wall.
>>
File: AAA.png (30 KB, 1153x359)
30 KB
30 KB PNG
>>101936025
>>
Is it normal for a program to have over 2000 threads and 73000 handles running?
>>
>>101936721
Depends on the program. Yeah.
>>
>>101936721
no it's not
>>
>>101882587
What program allows me to rip Instagram pages?
>>
Went to turn on my PC today and it just makes a clicking noise every 5 seconds or so and won't even go into bios. Not using an HDD, is the PSU fucked somehow?
>>
>>101937956
open it and figure it out
>>
File: 1473434692806.png (960 KB, 1063x598)
960 KB
960 KB PNG
I have ten billion old passwords in my firefox passwords manager. A bunch are for dead sites, some are duplicates from sites which changed URL. I also want to change a bunch which are low security.
Is there a good password manager or plugin or something for this? The firefox one doesn't even let you select multiple passwords to delete.
>>
>>101939448
export to csv, open up in excel do your editing, delete the passwords saved in firefox, reimport them
:)
>>
how do you remove shit from spotify's web player queue?
>>
What would cause a browser to randomly not connect to any websites? As if there were no internet connection (but other browsers and even games show a connection just fine.) This has happened a few times off and on, nothing frequent really so I'm curious.
>>
>>101940923
firefox? dns setting set to max protection?
>>
>>101940957
It's Thorium, a Chromium-based browser (for windows 7 support.) It's only happened like 2 or 3 times that I can remember in the few months I've been using it. Just says my DNS is set with my current ISP (and not some custom DNS) but I don't know enough to make any further, uh, observations lol
>>
>>101940982
If you're using windows you'll have to go into your network adapter settings and disable IPV6 and change the ipv4 DNS to either Google or cloud flare.
8.8.8.8 , 8.8.4.4
1.1.1.1 , 1.0.0.1
>>
>>101937956
>>101938452
I bought a new PSU and installed it, still hear the clicking but I can't tell what's making the sound, any ideas what other parts could be clicking?
>>
>>101941547
maybe dead things in your fans
>>
>>101941601
Deep cleaned it. When it powers on the cpu fan spins for a second before going dormant, could that be a symptom of a fucked motherboard? I tried removing all ram and it started sending out some retard alarm so it doesn't seem like that's the issue either.
>>
>>101936025
Phones don't like it when people have the ability to record audio, so you may have to do something like connecting 3.5mm jack to the phone and connect the speakers to the microphone input on your server, and the speakers on the sever to the microphone input on the phone.
Or maybe scrcpy will work for you.
>>
>>101899923
>i got a crt recently

lol
>>
>>101941746
Alright this has been pushed beyond mortal understanding.
If I remove a stick of ram, do an "alarm boot", turn it off, put the ram BACK, it boots into bios.
But only until it's turned off, at which point it's back to clicking.
Is there an error log or something I can read to TRY to understand this curse from above?
>>
>>101941547
put your ear closer to different parts of it to find out where it is

are you fucking deaf?
>>
/g/ approved C drive cloning software? or should I use this dock that I have with its own cloning mechanism? need to get a larger SSD
>>
>>101941927
Oh yeah I figured out the clicking, it's the fucking piezo speaker, so absolutely 0 info gained from that
>>
How do you guys rice firefox?
>>
>>101942074
>about:config
>>
>>101934274
can i know how?
>>
I don't understand project based learning, I feel like in the end I'm just copying another person's work and its just tutorial hell all over again but now its written.

I'm following this one from the project based repo in github:
https://tutorialedge.net/projects/chat-system-in-go-and-react/

In the end its just a dude just posting his code and barely explaining what it dows, I thought it was going to be more like they would give me a hint of what I needed to do and then I would be tasked to basically figure it out using google and documentation.

Is copying another person's work without understanding the magic even teaching me anything?
>>
>>101942261
javascript
>>
how do tile trackers work? If i hide one in my car, will it help find it in the event that it is stolen?

if not, then what can i put in my shitbox -cheaper is better-
>>
>>101942456
if you have questions bounce them off chatgpt or whatever
>>
>>101941946
it means the motherboard is trying to tell you something at least
>>
>>101885376
Dat is een tv en geen monitor, ik denk dat je saus resultaat krijgt, als je echt een crt wilt zou ik op markplaats/tweakers kijken.

ik heb er ooit eentje gehaald maar doe er niks mee. Kan het niet aanraden
>>
File: asus-android-phone.jpg (84 KB, 560x477)
84 KB
84 KB JPG
>>101942516
>tile tracker
Spent one minute studying their website and apparently the devices don't phone home, they are just bluetooth gadgets.
No, it doesn't find your car.
>what can i put in my shitbox -cheaper is better-
>cheaper is better
Old Android phone. Software and services for such a task are another topic.
>>
>>101942703
>No, it doesn't find your car.
from what i am understanding is that it can provide recent locations of vehicle if it gets stolen by hoodlums who joyride it around the city then ditch it in another part of the city. as long as it stays in an urban environment or another environment with foot/car traffic yea?
for the 'community track' system to work, does it require that other tile users are actively walking around with their bluetooth on? i take it most people dont walk around with their bluetooth on. what is bluetooth range for a tile tracker? 10ft? 100ft?

>>>what can i put in my shitbox -cheaper is better-
>Old Android phone. Software and services for such a task are another topic.
does this require purchasing a simcard and paying $30/mo for cellular service? or is there a cheaper way to do this?
>>
>>101942804
>does this require purchasing a simcard and paying $30/mo for cellular service?
Yes.
>$30/mo
Depends.
Current cheapest "device internet" is 4€/month here. 0.5Mbit/s download, 5Mbit/s upload, meant for security cameras I guess. Also takes phone calls (can't make them) so you can shout to the megaphones.
>>
>>101942547
Found someone else with the exact same issue
https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/no-boot-no-post-clicking-coming-from-mobo-speaker.2454429/#post-16078698
Latest post in the thread seems to have a fix, installing an older version of the Intel chipset drivers from the gigabyte website and flash the BIOS to the same version.
Gonna try it later and see if it works, I'm fucking dead from dealing with this shit all day.
Just putting this info here in case someone else has the same problem in 6 years.
>>
Looking for a laptop recommendation with a good processor and no dedicated GPU. Since this will be mostly for music production, I'd rather the money be towards other specs.
>>
Hello, i have a weird issue with my Realtek ALC1220-VB audio outputs:

I'm on EndeavourOS and on Windows i could keep my headphones plugged in and switch to rear panel jack which is my speakers, however on linux if the front jack is plugged the rear jack doesn't work.

I tried disabling auto-mute in alsaconfig but it just outputs on the rear jack on both the headphones output and speakers please help
>>
how do i know if a router has a connector for these coaxial types? and how do i know if an antenna with these types of plugs needs amplification? and how would i go about amplificating an antenna?
>>
I'm having a conversation with a friend and I need your opinion. Is the following statement true or false...

As complexity grows, your ability to predict the future decreases. There's nothing preventing you from implementing what you believe in the present to be a fitting design, and such choices may indeed help keep the wolf at bay. However, after a sufficient amount of complexity accumulates, what you once believed to be a fitting design may very well prove inaccurate, or in some cases outright wrong. This is the inherent trouble of complex systems management, and it's something that even the most seasoned engineering organizations struggle with.
>>
>>101934228
Look at rsync for the actual transfers. I've no clue about getting them to happen automagicly when you plug in the drive.
>>
>>101882587
So if I want to switch to Windows 7 but I'm not sure if it will be compatible with certain software I use an I able to run Windows 7 in a "Virtual Machine" and see if I can get the software to work on it before I download it? Do I understand that right or am I completely off track?

Also any tips for getting software to work on Windows 7 that's meant for Windows 10? I'm more thinking the latest version of Storyboard Pro and this one streamer I use nothing big
>>
>>101944673
Complexity is subjective, but there's some truth in that, as you evolve, so does your perception.
>>
>>101945731
You can run any windows in a virtual machine, even without compatible hardware, to a degree. Obviously your hardware has to be capable of virtualization. For example, I ran windows 11 in a virtual machine from Mint Linux on a 2nd generation i5. Doesn't mean that windows 11 will run native on bare metal, without modifications.
>>
>>101944671
Check the specifications on the manufacturer website, and use an access point or repeater, depending on your needs.
>>
>>101943111
What's your budget? If you're planning on using windows 11, all you need is a 8th-12th gen intel processor, or a ryzen processor. If you want more bang for your buck, ryzen is usally the way to go
>>
>>101941941
If the dock works, use it, otherwise use dd or clonezilla (Don't forget your boot manager partition)
>>
>>101946232
I think his claim is something like "good design choices are always good", which is something I consider to be more of a practical meta-heuristic, as opposed to an absolute truth. My position actually takes complexity seriously: I believe that in a sufficiently complex application, some (I hesitate to say all) legitimately "good" design choices are really only "good" for a finite period of time
>>
>>101946723
Ah, well, just remember than normal people don't give a shit about what's under the hood, so long as your application can make complex tasks appear simple, they're happy.
>>
What's worse for the cpu
88C for 15 mins or 82C for 30 mins?
>>
>>101947264
Check the manufacturer recommended operating temps.
>>
>>101945731
Yes, but I'm not sure what kinds of software aren't compatible with each other unless you're modifying the system.
>running w10 software on w7
run windows 10
>>
>>101947465
Indeed, and use classic shell if you want the older UI.
>>
does starlink have a data cap?
>>
>>101947918
A quite Google search suggests their standard plan has no data cap, but their higher speed plans have caps.
>>
>>101947918
Kinda. Between 7am-11pm your data is counted and if you go over a certain amount you get deprioritized compared to other people. After 11pm your data does not count towards this total.

I have had no issues using the connection all I want during the day. Maybe be careful if you torrent tons of things.
>>
File: IMG_20240817_233521.jpg (465 KB, 1440x1080)
465 KB
465 KB JPG
Ive made it so an internal.antenna router has the antenna on the outside because i want it to have some serious range
Does the can antenna dish thing work? Any tips for making the antenna morw directed?
>>
What's the easiest way to backup my entire os and drives to an external drive? DiscWizard says you can only use it with the same computer. I also tried using windows backup but it says a system image cannot be saved on this location. I just want to clone everything so I can either restore from it or copy to a new computer. Is it better to just copy all files instead of trying to clone the OS?
>>
>>101947264
Temps don't matter as long as they're below the 100C physical safety threshold. Longevity is all voltage exposure.
>>
>>101947264
Same.
>>
File: 1723559558550903.png (587 KB, 1808x1017)
587 KB
587 KB PNG
>>101944398
Stop using the front panel connector. Get a USB-C audio dongle for your headphones (Apple in the US, otherwise CX31993 from Ali) or a cheap mixer. The former is under $10, the latter around $45.
>>
I'm in a corpocucked environment where I can't have emacs everywhere locally. Any good ways to integrate emacs so I can use it on remote machines from a local? Plink is ok but slow for some reason
>>
>>101948605
try using real software to clone not toddlerware
>>
>>101948842
>real software
such as??
>>
>>101948543
kek nice. Space the foil away from the antenna more. Look up designs online. Maybe you can install openwrt on the router and boost the signal transmission strength.
>>
>>101948911
clonezilla
>>
>>101948605
dd or clonezilla
>>
>>101948911
clonezilla is easier. dd can blow shit up
>>
does anyone member the name of that front end project an anon made a while ago? akitube i think it was? a local client to yt, can't find the github repo but see similar projects..
>>
>>101949106
https://invidious.io/ ?
>>
>>101949192
not.. exactly but i'll assume Invidious is a better pc frontend kek, i just remember an anon had made a pretty comfy front end that you could load scripts into, ty Anon
>>
Is there disadvantages to running TOR browser while running another browser simultaneously? Half the answers online say yes absolutely, the other half call the others retards and say not at all because tor is routing your activity on that browser specifically through its proxy, so its separate and fine.
>>
How should I go about playing steam games on my living room tv on the other side of the house? Get a second PC? "gayming" laptop? I don't want a shitty Steam Deck.
>>
>>101949225
It's probably fine unless you're buying drugs online or something.
>>101949407
steam link hardware box
https://www.amazon.com/Steam-Link-pc/dp/B016XBGWAQ
>>
>>101949192
https://chino-chan.gitlab.io/programs.html#s2
it was this one, ty for the tip on invi!
>>
>>101949431
Man, I had one of those, bought for $10 when they released like a decade ago. Threw it out a few months back because I figured I'd never use it and never have until now. Got a new setup going in the living room, though, so now I regret throwing it out.

I've got a friend that can give me one of his. Does it actually work well? Any idea if it's passable over wifi?
>>
>>101949455
Throwing something out is how you know you'll need it soon.
IDK never used it. Has wifi AC so should work decently.
>>
File: aaaaaa.png (7 KB, 514x240)
7 KB
7 KB PNG
I updated my Chromium to 120.0.6099.0 (a developer build, couldn't find a stable 120.x) and now some YouTube videos are fucking broken, pic related.
Any way to fix this? Or can anyone find a stable 120.x version? I really don't wanna go 121 or above because of the download bar.
>>
>>101949646
Can't you just remove it in appearance settings?
>>
>>101949829
You mean the download bar? The problem is that I want to keep it, not remove it.
AFAIK 120 is the last version of Chrome that allows you to use workarounds to get it back, while the newer versions force that gay ass pop-up bubble instead.
>>
>>101934228
i've done this before, and should set it up again actually
what i did was a usb hdd that made a backup of my root and home (excluding some big folders, just the more important stuff) automatically when plugging it in. the way i did it was; i wrote a script that would do the backup, of course, that is mount, rsync, umount, but then also added a udev line which ran that script when a drive containing the relevant filesystem by uuid showed up
it was really convenient, i really should go back to using it. you could send a notification from the script to know when it's finished and ready to unplug as well
>>
>>101948543
yes, cantenna's do work, though keep in mind they're highly directional, that is, only devices that are right in front of where the can is pointing will get much of a signal. that's the idea behind them, you boost their performance by focusing it into a narrow but powerful beam, rather than the stock antenna which works in all directions but is weaker
similar to how different microphones work
if you want more range AND all directions, you need an amplifier
>>
>>101948543
>>101950671
>if you want more range AND all directions, you need an amplifier
* which may be illegal in your area, i should point out, most places have limits in terms of how much power you can use for the bands wifi uses
>>
File: 0023-2085962724.jpg (24 KB, 600x277)
24 KB
24 KB JPG
>>101948543
>>101950671
oh and you should look up tutorials on it, because the sizes and spacing are critical, it affects the antenna's tuning. if you randomly slap something together it will likely be way off and not work well for the specific frequencies wifi uses
as you can imagine highly directional antennas are usually used for point-to-point connections, that is, two directional antennas permanently set up to point at each other over a large distance. then at the other end you can use another omnidirectional antenna for roaming use
>>
Why are search results so shit nowadays? You try searching for an answer about a specific topic or have a specific question and you're spammed with mainstream corporatist websites filled with completely unrelated garbage or one page websites with walls of AI generated texts. This includes bing, google, duckduckgo, yandex. Litterally wtf is going on!!!!!! Fuck these kikes, they fucking ruin everything!!!!!
>>
>>101950879
i find ai chatbots more useful for "natural language" type questions. google used to be good at that. they aren't good for finding websites, but they can be good for finding the right words to search for
>>
Why don't images on 4Chan load on my PC, but they're fine on the laptop I'm posting from now?
>>
>>101951085
did you rate-limit yourself by enabling image precaching?
>>
I have a USB hub that can be powered with a 5V 2A (10W) Micro USB power supply.

I will be plugging it into a USB 2,0 port, whch I read can supply up to 0.5A (2.5W) itself.

Do they add up, i.e. can I plug 12.5W worth of perpherals into it?
Or does the ports own supply get bypassed or ignored or something if I'm giving it the 10W of juice independently via the MicroUSB?
>>
>>101950879
they all integrated "AI" into their engines
>>
>>101951580
of course they add up, the power isnt going to come from nowhere and if you overtax the port then your shit wont work
>>
>>101948543
I'm >>101948918
There is no real solution except ethernet if the signal is too far away. It's easy to run cables outside, through an attic, or crawl space. Poke a hole in the ceiling in a closet or the corner if you don't want to drop it into the wall.
>>101950879
Destruction of the memory of what the internet once was so the state can control it easier.
>>101951580
No the source port is only 0.5a max. Add more ports with a usb hub and they share it. Unless you get a powered hub that has an external power supply.
>>
>>101951893
>No the source port is only 0.5a max. Add more ports with a usb hub and they share it. Unless you get a powered hub that has an external power supply.
I will be powering it.
So will I get both 10W (from power supply) + 2.5W (from computer port) = total 12.5W to play with?
>>
>>101951937
If the hub works with the external power brick unplugged then yes.
>>
>>101950879
a. increased centralization thanks to network effects and higher SEO and pay for search engine placement results in centralization of all online communities on a few social media sites that don't allow crawling.
b. bloated javascript ridden websites that are difficult to scrape, thanks to insistence on either having dynamic formatting for phones and desktops, or just presuming the user is on a phone and making them scroll through animations to read everything.
c. Google and other search engines downranks or unpersons websites that their ad customers don't want to exist or features ideas they don't want to exist, and upranks sites that promote ideas they want to push. They also give this treatment to competitors but they try not to make to too obvious.
d. eventually SEO gets to a point that it can be automated and a gazillion websites pop up containing no content but SEO for so many queries. Pinterest is a particularly bad example as they figured out how to take over all the image search results for a while.
>>
File: multimeter-1.jpg (124 KB, 973x871)
124 KB
124 KB JPG
>>101951580
Picture relates. Take a powered off hub and check power pin connectivity between
>USB ports including the input
>ext. power
If it's all one big lump, they do get added up.
If the input USB' power pins aren't connected to that set, then it doesn't add up.
>I will be plugging it into a USB 2,0 port, whch I read can supply up to 0.5A (2.5W) itself.
Shouldn't they give one amp? Wasn't 0.5A some very early spec?
>Do they add up, i.e. can I plug 12.5W worth of perpherals into it?
Possibly and likely, in a perfect world they shouldn't. Chinks do USB power with one big rail that snakes around and taps straight into the USB power pins.
>>
Is there anyway to move Windows from a SSD to a NVMe without fucking your entire machine up?
Or is this a complete re-install thing?
>>
>>101951972
SEO has destroyed the internet. It started in the 2010s with jeet cobbled SEO terms to get ad revenue. Basically modern AI hallucination tier writing but stuffed with SEO terms for troubleshooting computers.
>windows error code 0x00001B
>sar have you tried logging out of your microsoft account?
>sar have you tried checking your keyboard setting?
>>
>>101948543
Picrel is what you got commercially available, idk why the cantenna isn't a thing.
What even started the can-antenna meme? The 1960s radio telescope project?
>can antenna dish thing work
Sure. But I never understood how a layman manages to tune those things without oscilloscopes and magnets.
>>
>>101952050
just cloning it should be fine
>>
>>101952050
clonezilla
>clone
>boot to test
>expand partition if needed
>>101952098
Almost no routers have external connectors. In theory he could solder that to the pcb but it's risky. Ethernet is easier.
>>
>>101952105
>Almost no routers have external connectors
I think most WIFI BOXES have Wi-Fi antenna connectors, even a fucking 4G router had connectors for Wi-Fi but not for actual 4G.
You must've been looking mostly at whatever crap your ISPs have handed to you? They do be like that.
>>
>>101952162
Not sure what you're smoking last time I found a single wifi router with SMA attached antennas it was $200 and there were only 3 models.
Every single wifi router on amazon has integrated antennas that I've seen.
Also his router probably does not use a detachable connector on the inside, it's probably soldered.
>>
>>101952101
>>101952105
Will that work exactly like i have it now?
>>
>>101952239
Yeah clonezilla makes a bit for bit copy of the drive.
>>
>>101952194
Ok, checking 3 cheapest from local store, all below 30€.
>all integrated antennas
Next 3:
>all integrated antennas
Guess you were right. Although when I'm getting a wifi box I'm not expecting to find a perfect one in a minute so if you really want external antenna connectors, spend a couple of minutes browsing.
It's a basic feature.
>>
>>101952255
Oh ok thank you very much
>>
>>101952266
>It's a basic feature.
Tell that to manufacturers LOL. Extra $1-5 for connectors.
>>
>>101952274
>>101952255
>>101952239
>>101952105
>>101952101
>>101952050
I just looked over the documentation and i have no idea what i am doing. So im not going to do it. Thanks for the help anyway
>>
>>101952436
It's super easy to use. Burn the iso to a usb and follow the prompts. It's literally as easy as around 5 options. Basically pick the source drive, destination drive, and that you want to clone first to second. Don't be a pussy your stuff should already be backed up, right?
>>
>>101952448
Oh righteo i was reading something about mounting it to a drive then following it to some shit DSU then extracting over bullshit files then *alien language*. I just bailed. I will try the USB thing
>>
>>101952284
Sort of makes sense though. It's not all 2.4GHz any more, there's 5 and 6 too while basically all the antennas are 2.4GHz only. (you CAN find 5GHz RP-SMA antennas but they be super rare and expensive)
Also: see if the internal antennas could be replaced with external connectors.
>>101948543
Get yourself 2.4GHz N-standard devices, they are usually the cheapest possible option and they more or less commonly do have external antenna connectors.
>>
>>101949984
Sounds like there may be an extension for that. Out of date browsers put your login credentials at risk.
>>
>>101951085
ipconfig /flushdns

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.