[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/g/ - Technology

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • You may highlight syntax and preserve whitespace by using [code] tags.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: file.png (1.67 MB, 1919x1019)
1.67 MB
1.67 MB PNG
>if all cars were autonomous they would be much safer because they can talk to each other!
>in reality
https://fixvx.com/ajtourville/status/1823509421357719763
>>
>>101906066
i've always wondered about this claim. i used to work in robotics and found that the pubsub mechanisms of ROS were not tenable for real-time communications (~20ms encode, transit, decode time across fucking ethernet).

maybe honking is faster.
>>
>>101906066
I'm not fluent in car but I do know the basic grammar and curses.
>>
>>101906661
It translates to hello fellow robot car

Peak clown world honk honk
>>
>>101906066
waymo shitting up blue cities is the most baste redpilled thing ever.
>>
they should replace the honk with a soundbite of I'M WALKIN HEE
>>
>>101906066
The fuck is a waymo? Sounds like a west coast problem, AKA idgaf.
>>
>>101906066
>ai cars honking at each other

this is another evidence we live in clown worl
>>
>>101906107
When people talked about that they were thinking about negotiating merges, lane changes, and intersection approaches from a quarter mile away, not so much trying to figure out where to park (the speed is too slow to kill anyone). They also assumed every car ever would have a way or be retrofitted with a way to communicate with the traffic server, and to each other over WiFi when they got close enough.
Parking is probably the trickiest problem to solve since its a low speed high precision deal and traffic law probably gets ignored in parking more than anywhere else.
Evidently the waymo cars were built for a world where they can't expect any car to identify itself and respond to electronic requests.
>>
Sitting in one place and maybe scooting back and forth a bit is pretty safe, anon.
>>
>>101906066
>skynet likes honk maxxing
>>
>>101906763
You can do this on Teslas. Boomerhumor will save the West
>>
>>101906066
WAYMO isn't even in service and they're already had their first strike. lmao
>>
>>101906066
why are all the waymo cars honking at each other instead of just wirelessly communicating, the car should send a waymo signal and then if nobody responds it should signal the actual horn
>>
>>101906107
20ms is still 10x faster than human reaction time.
>>
>>101906066
funny shit
aren't they all owned by the same company? why the fuck aren't they processing solutions centrally?
>>
>>101907966
I think it's probably a dumb failsafe for object collision. Dumb in the sense of just being a sensor, a wire and the honker.
>>
>>101906066
>car fghtjhj543jh7: ACK
>car jkll5hjk775jkj: ACK
>car agjrtr4678ljh: ACK
>>
i love living in this timeline, maximum keks to be had
>>
File: 1697340323010455.jpg (41 KB, 476x507)
41 KB
41 KB JPG
>>101906066
In the name of all europeans, i like to thanks americans for live testing this new technology for us. Truly nothing screams more freedom than being awakened at 4am by a fleet of automated cars.
>>
>>101908971
american are the alpha testers of most technologies out there. even the chinese are smart enough to copy the working stuff instead of trying to waste time and efforts on shit that might not be economic sense
>>
>>101906066
I think there are worse things everday at 4 a.m in SanFran that could wake you up
>>
>>101906066
I assume that they're programmed to honk because that works for all cars, while wireless communication only works on other waymo vehicles. If all cars were interconnected, then they wouldn't need the horn (and would only use it for pedestrians and whatnot).
Perhaps they could implement something that detects when the other car is also from waymo and communicate wirelessly with it, but still use the horn for other cars.

This makes me think...
Car horns are almost always used to signal something to another car, but they end up sending that signal to everyone around them, including those who aren't in traffic at all.
What if, in a future where every car is interconnected, there was an additional silent horn software feature that only targeted a specific car, and it would make them receive a notification or something?
You could pick the car with your navigator thing on your infotainment screen, and if someone is annoying you with notifications you could just block them and you've effectively silenced them.
Perhaps you could also transmit an audio message, almost like a car-based proximity chat.
Reminds me of this from /o/
https://pastebin.com/mpE6Wn2Y
>>
>>101909526
people would mute it instantly. Horns are obnoxious but you can't turn them off or ignore them.
>>
>>101909039
Chinese don't test, they just press the start button.
>>
>>101909526
Thanks, chatgpt.
>>
>>101909526
>Alexa, tell the driver in uh..... late model silver Escalade, DCY 0773 that he's a fucking faggot and if he cuts me off again I'll kill us both
>>
>>101910475
This is the kind of thing that if implemented you absolutely won't be able to disable it, in the name of "safety" of course.

>>101910592
Self driving cars already have a 3d interface that shows all the vehicles in the vicinity. Using it to select a car to send the message to would work pretty seamlessly imo.
>>
>>101909526
>https://pastebin.com/mpE6Wn2Y
top fucking kek
>>
>>101906066
Why are you against progress, chud?
>>
>>101906066
>california turd technology
>autonomous
pick one
>>
I dont know what waymo is but I like my teslas autopilot. Automation for long commutes on the freeway and manual drive for surface streets is max comfy.
>>
>>101907718
>mfw no AI clown car gf
>>
>>101909526
meds
>>
>>101906107
Kill yourself retard.
>>
>>101909526
You are seriously overthinking the honk, my dude. What you just described is a fuckton of boilerplate just to notify people when driving. So many things can fuck up in that.
>the addressing scheme
Is there going to be a central database of all cars and their whereabouts at all times? Are you going to make a dynamic mesh network of only nearby cars? Will the protocols update from a standards institution or something?
>the distraction of it
Are you gonna put fucking emojis as signals to send? Are you gonna have a menu that goes to a communication screen so that you can select -> connect -> send/recieve? Thats just loony in terms of emergency honking, man.
>go outside, touch grass. There is so much more potential and dynamacism naturally arising from: get attention (honk or flash brights) -> vibes and hand signals.
>>
>>101906107
>>101906066
>>101907749
>>101907992
>year is 2040
>human cars are outlawed
>autonomous vehicles still haven't solved the byzantine generals problem
>car needs to connect to the blockchain and mine bitcoins before lane merging
>a pedestrian decides to randomly cross the road
>>
>>101906066
I'm glad that in the future Zoomers, Gen Alpha and beyond will be able to witness the SOVL of dial-up noises as cars screech at eachother to communicate data.
>>
>>101906066
Need that old guy who shoots ball bearings at things with his slingshot. He'd be doing a public service by taking these things off the road.
>>
File: 3a8.jpg (115 KB, 1024x811)
115 KB
115 KB JPG
>>101906066
plz for the love of god somebody meme it like this.
>>
>>101906066
These cars don't actually talk to each other, though, do they?
They're all just acting as if the other cars around them are driven by humans and reacting to them instead of coordinating what they're doing with each other.
>>
>>101918754
>These cars don't actually talk to each other, though, do they?
Thats the thing, they dont. A lot of people say that autonomous cars would but they dont and cannot coordinate parking and even dont know that they are around other autonomous cars so they honk all the time.
>>
>>101921178
>A lot of people say that autonomous cars would
They probably will in the future, but they really would need to standardize on some communication method or else Teslas won't be talking to BMWs, which won't be talking to Toyotas, etc.
>>
>>101913034
>Is there going to be a central database of all cars and their whereabouts at all times? Are you going to make a dynamic mesh network of only nearby cars? Will the protocols update from a standards institution or something?
Whatever system they use to communicate their position and next move to each other can be used to send the notification.

>Are you gonna put fucking emojis as signals to send?
Kek I guess every text messaging feature nowadays allows that, so in the case of a text-based version, yes, it would probably be allowed.
But I was thinking of something more akin to a horn, so a basic notification with a sound to let you know you've been nudged or something, with perhaps a notification in your infotainment screen to show you which car nudged you using the 3D interface.
>>
>>101908173
These systems are just a giant mountain of failsafes with a tiny bit of ML in between. They will never stop falling over, that's why they have a ton of minimum wagers giving them instructions via remote control.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.