[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/g/ - Technology

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: telespot_lilith.jpg (1.85 MB, 2000x3000)
1.85 MB
1.85 MB JPG
crt edition

What are you working on, g?

previous:
>>102019737
>>
>>102040812
first for dont reply to malloc tranny.
>>
>>102040812
second for stop acknowledging schizo personalities
>>
>the people with voices in their heads warn others about people with voices in their heads
Classic
>>
>>102040850
>>102040872
>>102040885
what are you working on?

Reminder that /dpt/ is a place of inclusion, for the mentally conforming and not.
>>
>>102040926
>no pedo image
Opinion: disregarded.
>>
>>102040963
sorry bro i dont have enough ips for this rn
>>
File: 1431431869398.png (252 KB, 457x381)
252 KB
252 KB PNG
>>102040926
I'm so fucking tired of dealing with schizos on the internet.
>>
>>102041015
Have you tried leaving the internet?
>>
>>102041015
set food outside nigger
>>
>>102041033
You hungry?
>>
>>102041069
i want to breed moreso
>>
>>102041120
What was that? You want some bread? Are you a bird?
>>
>>102041144
I apologize Sir, I did indeed say that I want some bread.
>>
>>102040812
what is your typical boilerplate to logic ratio for big projects?
>>
File: 1680308783071429.png (111 KB, 232x241)
111 KB
111 KB PNG
>spend 3 days reading my entire library trying to track down a bug that is incredibly obvious in hindsight
>>
>>102041719
>the *entire* library to find the source of a bug
i doubt you wrote it.
>>
>>102041839
are you trying to convince me or you?
>>
>>102041372
80:2
>>
>>102042020
>projecting psychopathic tendencies
just pointing out the larp
>>
>>102042247
Are you implying fixing a bug is psychopathic?
>just pointing out the larp
I think you're goading for attention. Is there something you want to talk about?
>>
>What are you working on

Nothing. I've run out of pepper.
>>
>>102042276
>no reading comprehension skills whatsoever
>projects
lmao

this thread is already dead, i wish you retarded cunts didnt have sticks up your asses, if i could i would them deeper up so they tear through your esophagus
>>
>>102042887
Sorry, I don't understand what you're trying to convey.
Assuming this is a language barrier.
Good luck with whatever has you mad or whatever.
>>
>>102042908
Ok so I guess that I will have to explain for the lowly monolingual (You) the reply chain step by step, I hope you wont be overwhelmed by more than 50 words in the same post.

Starting with ...719, you claimed to have spent the past three days reading the code of this, supposedly yours, library in search of a bug.
I then pointed out in ...839 that, since somebody who wrote the library would be able to think about the error and narrow down to a few functions where the bug might be, you were likely to be larping.
In ...2020 you said "are you trying to convince me or you?" which is a nonsensical sentence, psychopaths often try to get out of situations by claiming their interlocutor to be appealing to the opinion of the masses (this is a public thread), "convince", even subconsciously.
I then in ...2247 pointed that out.
Then in ...2276, which by the way is a reply of >70 characters length within 2 minutes, after 30 minutes of halt to the conversation, you shizoed out and projected some more (larpers inherently larp for attention, no?).
Anyway i then lmao'd at your silliness and complained about how much of a nigger you are.
Then you posted a silly reply in which you projected your unfitted for discussion, caused by a lack of attention span and psychopathic tendencies, onto me, for the mainstream reason of "muh ESL".

Are you up to speed now, nigger? I hope you die in a fire.
>>
>>102043101
I didn't ask you to recap it I was just saying I hope you feel better. Not reading all that.
>>
>>102043101
>somebody who wrote the library would be able to think about the error and narrow down to a few functions where the bug might be
There is such a thing as missing the forest for the trees.
NTA.
>>
>>102043137
i would feel better if i could cut your limbs off and rape your remains

>>102043158
>There is such a thing as missing the forest for the trees.
no there isnt, the guy is obviously larping.
>>
>>102043230
Now you sound like the psychopathic one here.
>>
>>102043158
The problem specifically centered around atomic data structures, so it was an annoying asynchronous problem where a reference was being invalidated before it was supposed to. The code I suspected to be faulty was actually fine and the real problem was in this utility function that wasn't doing a copy when it was supposed to. Effectively meaning the next person to get a reference in a specific circumstance would get the previous invalidated one instead of a fresh one.

>>102043230
>i would feel better if i could cut your limbs off and rape your remains
Well that's not gonna happen. I can talk with you instead if it makes you feel better :^)
>>
>>102043249
>y-you are [term > dont understand] that i saw in the movies
LOL, God himself killed thousands in egypt as retaliation and the entire earth before that out of rage, what makes you think doing what i said in the post makes me the same as your boogeyman?
>>
Whatever, psycho.
>>
>>102043255
>utility function that was not making a copy when it was supposed to
>utility function
>not making something as fucking huge as a copy
i would neveer want to work with you, to mess something like that you have to be extremely retarded
> :^)
yeah well there is the culprit.
>>
>look mom i am jakquoting
commit suicide
>>
>>102043376
You seem really abrasive so the feeling is mutual. You're casting judgment on something you lack any insight on.
I can only assume you're doing it for attention. I'm willing to speak with you if that's the case, just let me know. Gonna go on break for a little it to play some games but will respond when I can.
>>
>>102043412
Do you have a favorite 2hu?
What games?
>>
So why isn't stuff like Bicep the standard compared to Json? Seems like it is just better and does everything Json does.
>>
error codes and exceptions are a cop out for lazy programming

software cannot have errors, it's not like hardware where the design is based on a model and then overlaid onto reality with reality being able to break the model occasionally. software is like math, we start with the fundamental building blocks and assemble them into something useful, there is no room for error because the entire process, the "reality" of software, is understood and accounted for. When was the last time you had to wrap a try catch around your algebra homework? where is errno set when you do a derivation? people have been designing software wrong for decades
>>
>>102043489
>software cannot have errors
Allocation failed.
>>
>>102043475
json is just a subset of javascript and javascript is very pervasive.
>>102043489
nigga when was the last time you read/wrote from/to a socket or a block device? no errors my ass. maybe if you're only writing nerd shit in haskell that does not actually do anything on the computer
>>
>>102043438
I like Cirno, both visually and Great Fairy Wars' ice mechanic. But I usually don't play shmups besides Twinkle Star Sprites.
>What games?
I'm not sure yet, I was thinking maybe Rimworld or Minion Masters. I only want to be gone 15 minutes before I get back to it.
>>
>>102043534
>>102043555
>try to do thing you cannot do
>"fails"
like I said, lazy programming
>>
>>102043555
Kinda figured it was that and saving processing time.
>>
>>102043597
>you cannot do
How do you know that before?
>>
>>102043625
by asking
>>
>>102043646
How?
>>
>>102043650
the same way the OS decides if it's able to do something, view the state and see if it will allow you to do the thing.

allocating memory? check if there is enough first
>>
>>102043707
>view the state
The state is fucking inaccessable, you raving retard. Do you not know how protection rings work? Do not you know the difference between kernelspace and userspace?
>just use TempleOS, where everything's in Ring 0
Please do that, and leave us normal people alone.
>>
>>102043755
>t, 4 door sedan
>>
>>102043806
Maybe that Sedan would've saved him.
>>
>>102043755
I don't need to know state, I try to allocate how much I need and if it fails then it's user error, buy more RAM poorfag.
>>
>>102043845
What if you don't know how much you need?
>>
>>102043868
then I do simple math to find out how much I need
>>
>>102043883
What if that math has too many unknowns?
>>
>>102043891
then you don't understand what problem you're solving
>>
>>102043932
Sounds like the cope of the incompetent.
>>
>>102043582
>I like Cirno, both visually and Great Fairy Wars' ice mechanic
Interesting. I haven't played that one, only read the manga, but from what I read it sounds cool. I guess the difference between it and Shoot the Bullet is that the bullets stop instead of getting erased?
>Twinkle Star Sprites
Damn, that's pretty obscure. Are you playing it online? I saw it's been ported to steam, but I'm guessing that it probably doesn't run too well on it.
>I was thinking maybe Rimworld or Minion Masters
I have a friend that also likes to play Rimworld, but I personally could never get into it.
Never heard of Minion Masters before. At a glance it reminds me of a phone game I've seen once on youtube. Seems like a non-committal game to relax to, I guess? Not like I have anything against mobile-y desktop games; another friend has gifted me Desktop Dungeons and I had fun with it for a while.
But I'm, perhaps to detriment of this conversation, not much of a gamer. I lost even what little motivation for playing games I've had after I started wageslaving, and only very rarely play a bit of easy-to-get-into games like Teeworlds. Mostly because I'm already decent, so it doesn't take much energy.

What is this library of yours for, by the way? That is if you are the Anon that was talking about the bug at the very start of this reply chain.
>>
>>102043942
yes, keep coping with realloc showing up as 15%+ in perf
>>
File: onichan.jpg (168 KB, 1579x1087)
168 KB
168 KB JPG
Can I get a job now?
>>
>>102043992
>he doesn't know about decommits
Incompetency confirmed.
>>
>>102044024
I don't need to decommit because I allocated the correct amount of memory the first time, while you can't do basic math, typical modern zoomer nucooder that needs "dynamic" amounts of memory
>>
>>102044035
>I don't need to decommit because I allocated the correct amount of memory the first time
>>102043891
, which ended with you admitting you're incompetent.
>>
>>102044067
When are you going to give us a situation where there are too many unknowns, nocoder?
>>
>>102044076
Network I/O.
>>
>>102044108
be specific, nocoder
>>
Make me, actual nocoder.
>>
>>102044132
>nocoder
fuck off back there
>>
>his brain got overloaded by such basic question
no wonder he's paranoid about constant arbitrary OOM when even his own brain cannot handle less textual context than 4chan limit allows
>>
>>102044076
PDE
>>
>writing fanfiction in his head again
malloc anon isn't nearly half as bad as you
>>
malloc some more space in your brain so you can write out your full cope in one go, tranny
>>
haskell
>>
>>102043982
I'd indulge in more detailed vidya talk but it's off topic. I do play online via fightcade though, and ended up playing Deadlock on PC.

Without going into identifying detail the library basically exposes something that can be described as an extended map which implements a specification. It's going to be accessed asynchronously by network clients.
Originally I implemented its methods in a lock-step way, but over time the locks became finer grained. Most recently I've reduced the lock contention as much as possible by only locking to do an atomic copy-modify-store rather than trying to share memory and guard it with a lock.

I was intimidated to attempt this after watching https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1gO9aB9nbs
but after considering alternatives this seemed like the approach I needed for the requirements I had.
It's not as tricky as it seems once you get the hang of it, not any much more hard to grasp than a mutex itself, just a little extra to consider.
>>
If I am learning Rust, what is the discipline or branch of programming I should be focusing on? Considering I want a job.

I wrote a grep and a cat clone and I'm not sure what else to do. I thought about cloning a python web app I wrote some months ago but it feels like Rust web frameworks are too complicated, and I also thought it might not be the best idea, idk. Is there something more interesting to do, but at the same time accessible to learn?
>>
>>102044606
go
>>
>>102044606
Do the PNGme tutorial
>>
There won't be programming jobs pretty soon. You should focus on doing what you enjoy.
>>
>>102044494
This might sound dumb, but was there a reason why you didn't opt to use a database instead? Unless I'm misunderstanding what the map stands for here. Did it not fit your requirements in some way?
>>
>>102044971
I enjoy programming efficient software for my own convenience and never contributing to anybody.
>>
Doing crafting interpreters in rust.
>>
>>102044977
an in-memory thing like redis might work but it'd probably be a lot slower than what appears to be a concurrent hashmap that GP is implementing.
>>102044971
>out yourself as a nocoder in a programming thread
but why?
>>
I enjoy making fun of nocodeshitters
>>
>>102043891
you find them out at runtime retard
>>
>>102045071
Too late.
>>
>>102043412
>something you have no insight on
i am maintaining a 6000loc codebase, every single line of which i wrote myself. Whenever i find a bug or need to add a feature it is as easy as thinking for 10 minutes and writing for another 10, because i know everything. I cannot imagine wasting 3 days fixing a bug
>>
>I know everything
>except how to code
>>
>>102044691
Not that guy. But thanks for this. Any other intermediate and interesting projects.
>>
File: 1724159011646049.png (19 KB, 743x216)
19 KB
19 KB PNG
>>
>>102044977
I'm using "map" loosely here to describe an interface that takes in some identifier and returns a handle to some node. In actuality it's more like a tree implemented by a struct containing maps and lists to keep track of various node data. The data needs to be exposed under an already existing interface/specification if it wants to comply with other client programs that utilize the same protocol.

>>102045142
I don't see what that has to do with what I said. Knowing about your own codebase doesn't mean you have insight on other's projects.
>I cannot imagine wasting 3 days fixing a bug
I assume you haven't spent much time programming. You'll encounter things like that from time to time, especially when engaging with something new.
>>
I have realized that most of the comments in my code are just me complaining about other people's code.
>>
>>102045241
>int x {};
what the absolute fuck???
>>
>>102045384
What's the matter, never seen modern C++ before?
>>
>>102045384
you WILL initialise the heckin variables, chud
>>
>>102045637
no, only templative C
>>
>>102045651
and thats the fucking syntax? what was wrong with int x = 0;???
the compiler will mov 0x0,reg anyway (mov, not xor. muh standard)
>>
>>102045680
its part of more general syntax, i dont even know if it zero inits honestly
>>
Whats an impressive idea that I could build a project on using C# if I want to get an entry level IT job and have no knowledge in C#. Just know the basics in web development and java. How long would it take me if I spent 3 hours a day to build a project that would be impressive for an entry level IT job if I showed it in my portfolio?
>>
>>102045680
>mov 0x0,reg
Wrong.
xor reg,reg
>>
this also makes me realise C++ iostreams do not work well with shit that doesnt have a default constructor, like you can't do
template <typename T>
T get(std::istream&); // throws on failure
without assuming some way of constructing a T to T << into
>>
>he doesn't know how to xor eax, eax
>>
Is junit a beginner or intermediate concept in Java?
>>
>>102045384
>he doesn't know
fuck sake, this board really is retarded.
>>
>>102045757
ignorance is bliss
>>
>>102045716
you should read the emitted code retard.
>>
>>102045757
>>he actually spends time programming instead of reading muh funi books with le modern syntax
sorry mate didnt mean to make ya seethe
innit
>>
>>102045817
>innit
but how do you initialise your variables in C++
>>
>>102045797
You should.
>>
>>102045680
write that then you fucking mouthbreather, compiler doesn't care
>>
>>102045817
literally wtf? uniform is the only sane way to initialize anything in C++. if you're using anything else, I assume you're a fucking moron and I'd probably be right too.
>>
Why do I need to know encapuslation and polymorphism? I don't understand why this is explained to me in tutorials if I never had the need to use it.
>>
>>102045934
You can write FizzBuzz without any of that, but normally people solve actual problems instead of rewriting FizzBuzz all day.
>>
>>102045934
polimorphism is fucking useless, dont get memed, it is never going to have the features you want for the most bullshit of reasons and you dont want to be one of those niggers who compiles more files than he modifies
>>
>>102045986
>t. just finished reimplementing "muh actually not polymorphism doe" polymorphism in his C tinkertranny toy project
>>
>>102043707
anon, I'm sorry for the other anon's rudeness.
what he was trying to say is that ram in userspace isn't ram, it's a mix of SSD and ram (and a bit of fancy other stuff), depending on how large your swap file / page file is (configurable by your OS).
The OS (kernelspace) is not much different than userspace, and he is trying to say that kernel space needs to check for NULL from kmalloc (or whatever), just like how you need to check for NULL from malloc in userspace.
Most userspace applications just exit when that error happens, on kernels that would mean shutting down the OS, which is undesirable.
Since it's undesirable, kernels try to avoid using kmalloc for small allocations to avoid fragmentation, since that would waste finite resources, so instead they use larger data structures that pack nodes more tightly, and they leave a buffer zone so when memory gets tight, they still have a bit of reserved memory to function so that the OS has time to kill applications that use too much memory.
You could write userspace applications that do the same thing, for example certain browsers will unload pages when the OS signals that it is low on memory to avoid being executed.
>>
>>102045716
it's the same shit
>>
>>102046030
mov is a bigger instruction and with different semantics, nocoder
>>
>>102046053
both are executed in a single clock cycle.
>>
>need to sign .exe with certificate
I hate the certificate jew so fucking much
>>
>>102046070
xor doesn't need to be executed at all and icache space matters, nocoder
>>
>>102046006
yeah but it actually fucking works.
>>
>>102046030
The fact that you believe that shows your mediocrity: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/33666617/what-is-the-best-way-to-set-a-register-to-zero-in-x86-assembly-xor-mov-or-and

>>102046009
>he is trying to say that kernel space needs to check for NULL
Wrong. What I'm trying to say is that userspace cannot check the shit that resides in kernelspace without syscall, and once you're in kernelspace there's no fucking reason to "just check" because syscalls are expensive by their very nature, so you might as well get some actual work done while you're there. Or would you like to pay several thousand cycles twice in a row? Yeah, me neither.
>>
it will never not be funny how much text-parser niggers worry about optimization
>>
>>102046177
tell us more about your incompetence, nocoder
>>
>>102046159
>several thousand cycles
>it is actually half of a millisecond
lol
>>
I HATE TENSORFLOW
I HATE TENSORFLOW
I HATE TENSORFLOW
>>
>>102046192
stay writing json parsers lmao
>>
>>102046201
Linux syscalls are cheap, consider not using DDR2 in 2024
>>
>>102046226
I wrote my parser from scratch and ran it and it was still faster than waiting for your json parser written in C to finish parsing
>>
File: syscalls.png (137 KB, 1670x730)
137 KB
137 KB PNG
>>102046201
I'm starting to believe they're actually even more expensive. Whenever I flush immediately performance drops to absolutely miserable levels. Just avoid them as much as possible.
>>
>>102046254
consider not using your hard drive from 1997 in 2024 anymore
>>
>>102046240
you still needed to compile it and then run your funny generation program, i can parse json at compiletime
>>
>>102046268
now parse it at compiletime but at 3GB/s
>>
>>102046264
Ramdisk. And now shut the fuck up, like the last time you were writing fan fiction about my hardware until you got annihilated by reality.
>>
>>102046288
Yes I see you're so poor you can't afford a proper disk so your only option is to offload your "filesystem" to DDR2 RAM as opposed to hard disk from 1997.
>>
One of my biggest questions is how async is implemented in languages like I know it's some sort of a state machine in C# but I don't really understand what they mean by that. Does it run in a separate os thread? What the fuck are green threads?
I have so many questions. Help?
>>
>>102046254
>everything is in cache
>having fun
>make syscall
>access page
>mmu blocks execution for 500~ cycles
>repeat times your gigabytes
>oh also swapping LOL this 80gig file wont fit senpai!
>but also now there is a different processor running your code, byebye prefetchers
not keewl
>>
>more fanfiction
I think he might be actually retarded.
>>
>>102046307
learn how to configure NUMA properly, oh wait, don't tell me, you have only 2 processor cores so not like you can do that
>>
File: paging_disabled.png (7 KB, 417x570)
7 KB
7 KB PNG
>>102046307
>also swapping
You are all a bunch of incompetent imbeciles who would go miserably insane if you were forced for but one day to stop making shit up in your head that simply isn't true.
>>
File: >see a wintoddler ITT.jpg (7 KB, 247x204)
7 KB
7 KB JPG
damn, is that a windows user? /g/ - Gentoo really isn't what it used to be
>>
>>102046353
You sound poor.
>>
>>102046303
>how async is implemented in [high level] languages
it is not
>in C/++?

//this is how you implement green threads
void return__(maxint_t y){
thread previous = current_thread();
previous->retval = y;
previous_instruction = __builtin_return_address(1);

run_next_thread();
}

//...

void function(void){
puts("nigger");
return__(y);
}

though you will need more state than an instruction pointer lol
a pointer to the stack is enough unless you are running -Ofast (you are going to allocate a stack per-thread)
>>
the builtin is 0 oops, you get it though
>>
jemalloc()
>>
>>102046353
ya, it's pathetic. wincucks deserve death.
>>102046336
why would you do this? Windows has strict accounting. Having no swap means you'll OOM when you have plenty of memory.
Reminder Winshit has one the worst Virtual memory setups I ever seen.
>>
File: 1711939497059464.jpg (46 KB, 235x243)
46 KB
46 KB JPG
>jemalloc is a general purpose
Stopped reading.
>>
>>102046441
>why would you do this?
Because, unlike in the deranged headcanon that the mentally ill portion of this thread continues to make up, I have so much fucking RAM that this system hasn't run out of memory in three fucking years.
>>
>>102046475
post bussy
>>
>>102046475
ok? doesn't change that window's vmem subsystem is fucking retarded. You should probably have at least half set up because again, strict accounting.
>>
>>102046516
Nope.
>>
>>102046539
post bussy
>>
>>102046516
troonix crashes if you leave it alone for too long lmao
>>
>>102046371
that looks like the opposite of green threads
>>
>>102040812
>passing function addresses in gcc inline assembly is not working
>above
>above above
>above above above
i am going to go insane man
>>
File: .png (3.23 MB, 3840x1634)
3.23 MB
3.23 MB PNG
took inspiration from a thread I remembered a few days ago >>62805266
I think this looks pretty cool
took 10mins though, 10M lines, written in C
image source is >>102046208
>>
>>102046587
i thought green threads were userspace threads managed by a library no? might be wrong idk
>>
>>102046557
no it doesn't. what the fuck are you on about? at least I don't have to worry about bizarre and constant page ins and outs in my running applications because I accidentally forgot some subtle bullshit detail with how winshit works and forgot to VirtualLock or some stupid shit.

fuck off. absolute retarded winshit users know less about windows than I do and it's pathetic.
>>
>>102046598
not the same thing as that thread though, what is going on here?
>>
>I accidentally forgot some subtle bullshit detail
Stay poor then lol.
>>
>>102046612
they still have context switching and run in arbitrary order, not sequentially to completion
>>
File: IMG_20240823_212304.jpg (1.78 MB, 4080x1320)
1.78 MB
1.78 MB JPG
>>102046655
i use troonix but its garbage that crashes.
>>
>>102046672
it kinda is, instead of circles it's lines
a few posts down, anons start using lines
what mine does is:
1) choose random line
2) average the colors of the original in that line area
3) compare the current drawing's line area to the average color, the closest to original is kept
4) go back to step 1)
>>
>>102046719
Given you can't take a screenshot, I assume you're fucking stupid as hell and need to fuck off out of this thread. This is for programming, not whatever retardation you're on about.
>>
>>102046751
so basically you are doing segments (parts of lines which are infinite) in every direction (*granularity) for every pixel and that is why it takes 10 minutes? lol
>>
File: file.png (438 KB, 785x1024)
438 KB
438 KB PNG
>>102040812
Newfag, is this all I need? I don't have the c++20 or 23 versions and don't want to download them, but I have this one physically.
>>
>>102046757
>configuring anything on a temporary OS
lmao, i dont need screenshots i need soul

its funny right because docs will tell you "to take a screenshot just read from dev/fbN" but then you have gotta parse the raw output and oh wait linux doesnt treat device BARs as special files meaning you dont get to have a mutex while the windowing system anally rapes your framebuffer LOL

>manage to get the raw image
>now have to convert into png or something using imagemagick or ffmpeg
>superuser says you can, you fucking cant
yeah no thank you i will stay soulful.
>>
basically if you want to make a screenshot you have to do wayland window-sharing shit is what i am talking about, not doing that
>>
File: .png (16 KB, 644x226)
16 KB
16 KB PNG
>>102046773
no, a line is 2 randomly picked points
>>
File: peano.png (6 KB, 306x147)
6 KB
6 KB PNG
very funny, nerd
>>
File: 58b.jpg (284 KB, 500x661)
284 KB
284 KB JPG
Finished porting my project to linux which wasn't bad at all but I discovered an unfortunate bug in rusticl that will hang the amd gpu driver after running for more than a few minutes (same exact code will run all day on windows) but there's already a ticket in for it and the opencl linux drivers are a work in progress anyway so I guess I'm just waiting for maturity now.
>>
File: nyuk.gif (935 KB, 498x374)
935 KB
935 KB GIF
>>102047000
>Succ Peano
>>
>>102046779
There is big debate about C++ books. In a nutshell, most C++ pros would recommend learncpp.com, A Tour of C++, or The C++ Programming Language. In that order.

Prefer The C++ Programming Language if you're a complete novice to programming.
>>
>>102047012
have you considered that windows way is the broken one?
>>
>>102047000
https://hackage.haskell.org/package/base-4.20.0.1/docs/Prelude.html#v:succ
>>
>>102045951
encapsulation and polymorphism are not needed for actual problems either
it is unnecessary bloat
>>
>>102047203
your registry dumper doesn't solve any problem, wintoddler
>>
Yes it does, you're just way too retarded to even remotely understand them.
>>
>>102047126
>If the OpenCL kernel is relatively long running (i.e., longer than the default lockup timeout), it will cause the kernel driver to reset the GPU. If you have long running OpenCL kernels, you'll need to use the KFD compute queues which are pre-emptable. Rusticl would need to be converted to use KFD queues (rather than gfx queues).
>https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/mesa/mesa/-/issues/9799
Seems like they already know what it is it's just a matter of them getting to it with their 3k+ ticket backlog, although in my specific case my kernel isn't running for more than 10-20ms but I do run them repeatedly in a loop which eventually fails with the same error so who knows.
>>
>>102047203
>>102047296
post bu55y
>>
>>102047366
In exchange for code you've written, sure.
>>
>>102047510
what kind? what language? im writing a pseudo-compiler right now, do you like compiler code? i call it a pseudo-compiler because it doesn't compile to native code (yet (and never might)) and some people think that a "real" compiler should do that. it's in rust though so you might have an autistic meltdown it, given the lackluster support the language std has for custom allocators.
anyway post bussy
>>
>>102047691
Post code first.
>>
>>102047126
it's probably AMDGPU just being dogshit desu. doesn't matter what GPU you have desu. They always half ass the Linux version.
>>
>>102047727
except there's nothing wrong with my GPU, stop using trannyware and coping when it doesn't work where it matters
>>
>>102047706
let's compromise. post hrtitties.
>>
>>102047772
Nope. Code first.
>>
>>102047779
tough luck...
post bussy
>>
Post code, or you get absolutely nothing.
>>
so many schizos itt
>>
>>102047819
not even feet pics? :(
>>
>>102047824
excluding you, there's only one retard baiting constantly
>>
No.
>>
>>102047824
jannies don't clean it up. other boards aren't as bad. I'll probably pass on this board for another month or so and see how it goes, or only come back every December.
>>
>>102047854
thanks for the info moddiechama
>>
>>102047862
Don't worry, I'll be there.

Forever.
>>
File: 1711139841996598.jpg (29 KB, 408x459)
29 KB
29 KB JPG
>>102040812
Been learning how to use CMake to configure and generate my build system
Next step is making automated tests with Google Test, then setting up Github Actions to build my project and run the tests when I push
>>
>>102047952
post büssy
>>
Post code.
>>
>>102040812
when do i use headers and when do i use -i in the makefile?
>>
>>102047094
Thanks. I have some programming language, but it was "make thing work" for a few school projects and smart contracts, no proper practical-breadth knowledge. I can iterate through stuff, do switches, use dictionaries, etc, but the most complex thing I've ever made is a dummy inventory system comprised of 5 or fewer files (excluding javafx pages for a GUI)
>>
>>102047960
that sounds like a lot of time that you could have spent programming
>>
>>102047960
i should set up ci for my thing at some point but it's just so fucking boring and annoying to do lol
>>
>>102048048
did you know its possible to do both?
mind blowing I know
>>
>>102047779
So you admit you've got hrtitties on you? Damn.
>>
You'll never know for sure.
>>
Do they lactate?
>>
Who knows.
>>
>>102045753
nothing difficult about the basics of it but wouldn't recommend if you only write exercises and not full applications
>>
>>102048048
Eh I'm building the habits now so I can get it done quickly whenever I need to. It'll save me a lot of time in the long run.
>>102048097
Yeah it's not fun but someone's gotta do it or the project will suffer. The basics of CMake can be learned in a day, but the official tutorial sucks dick
>>
File: result.gif (3.9 MB, 640x640)
3.9 MB
3.9 MB GIF
>>102046773
made a gif
this time, 10M lines took only 50s
it's very image-size dependent
>>
>>102048517
purest 501 milk
>>
>>102048671
cool effect
>>
in C, if i want to get a number from 0-3, if i use rand() would the result be more random if i AND the value with 0b11 rather than doing % 4 or are both of these retarded methods?
>>
>>102048937
The compiler will optimize it to an
and reg,3

anyway: https://godbolt.org/z/7r676f5h9
>>
>>102048937
do the and
>>
>>102049020
huh i didn't expect that, thank you
>>
>>102048937
Something to consider is that those three bits don't necessarily represent the pseudo-random distribution of rand() integers. The value's "weight" may or may not be implicated. Probably doesn't matter anyway for a range that small.
>>
>>102048937
>or are both of these retarded methods
They're both subject to modulo bias.
>>
>muh le weights
dunning kruger, Neumann was wrong, you must understand things.
>>
>>102044691
>>102045206
This is fucking awful.

I am having SO MUCH trouble just trying to understand whatever shitfuck he tried to do when providing his aliases:

pub type Error = Box<dyn std::error::Error>;
pub type Result<T> = std::result::Result<T, Error>;

And then in his tips:

impl TryFrom<[u8; 4]> for ChunkType {
type Error = Error;
fn try_from(value: [u8; 4]) -> Result<Self, Self::Error> {
todo!()
}
}

Yes, I read the traits chapter on the book and this is still so fucking hard to read and incomprehensible and I'm getting IDE errors and warnings out the fucking ass.
>>
File: 1704469953369.jpg (23 KB, 1000x1000)
23 KB
23 KB JPG
A few months ago I interned at my university lab to create a web app that could be used to filter and analyze data, creating automatic graphs with D3.js. The internship lasted only two months though so there was some stuff I didn't have time to work on and some bugs I left behind. I'm fixing those now. And I realize how garbage my code and implementation were, but at least, if I can see it, it probably means that I have made some progress since then.
>>
I am a Cnile and this is the first time I(more like chatGPT) have written a class.

Is this the beginning of the end?
>>
>>102049558
>Trait object errors
I hate this shit so much it's unreal. thiserror should let you wrap anything and it is sized.

Anyhow what about this code do you not get? You're turning a png chunk into some special snowflake chunktype and it can fail because invalid (?) chunk name. I think real png lets you do whatever for chunk names though, just don't expect it to be used.

Thinking about it, writing a png encoder/decoder in rust is probably the perfect project. I wrote one ages ago in JavaScript and using shit like ArrayBuffer was pure ass.
>>
>>102049723
I don't even know WHAT I don't understand man. I don't even have a specific question. I'll stick to this but it's getting late. Maybe I'll ask for help tomorrow in the new thread or whatever. Hope you're available and thanks for the help.
>>
>>102049790
Literally you're just implementing code so you can do try_into() on an array with 4 u8's and turn it into some (likely empty) chunk.
png chunks are basically just
u32BE len, [u8; 4] chunk name, content (len), u32BE CRC32.
>>
>>102049842
Chapter 1: Chunk Types
>https://jrdngr.github.io/pngme_book/chapter_1.html

Requirements:
1. Copy the unit tests below and paste them at the bottom of your chunk_type.rs file.
2. Write a ChunkType struct with your implementation of PNG chunk types.
3. Implement TryFrom<[u8; 4]> for your ChunkType.

The first test is:
#[test]
pub fn test_chunk_type_from_bytes() {
let expected = [82, 117, 83, 116];
let actual = ChunkType::try_from([82, 117, 83, 116]).unwrap();

assert_eq!(expected, actual.bytes());
}

Chapter 1 hints:
>https://jrdngr.github.io/pngme_book/hints/chapter_1_hints.html

This includes the following code block:

type Error = Error;

fn try_from(bytes: [u8; 4]) -> Result<Self> {
todo!()
}
}

First of all, I am getting IDE warnings saying I should add 'dyn' keyword to the Error line and add missing generic argument to the try_from signature.

On the other hand, what am I even supposed to do if, in the test, it expects the same int vector as the one passed to ChunkType::tryfrom()? Do I just return the same shit like the following?

type Error = Error;

fn try_from(value: [u8; 4]) -> Result<Self> {
Ok(ChunkType { chunk_type: value })
}
}

This makes me feel stupid
>>
>>102050024
I'll actually return to the book.
I was told I could stop reading after the Closures and Iterators chapter but idk, I probably need to keep reading
>>
>>102049707
Bro don't panic but... I think your C has been forcibly indented. It might be over for you...
>>
>>102050407
Just use vim's --disable-indentmonkey option.
>>
I experimented all day with parsing libraries
I'm just going to keep my hand written parser
>>
>>102050543
Good. They're all shit when you actually want to write a compiler instead of doing some quick text hacks.
>>
WE DONT BREAK COMPATIBILITY!
    inline
ulong_t ISNULL_cka(lol rer, ulong_t index){
return !(rer->kek[index]->a[0] & (1<<47));
}
inline
ulong_t ISNULL_cka(void ** rer, ulong_t index){
return !(rer[index] & MAXPTR);
}
template <typename T> inline
ulong_t ISNULL_cka(lmao<T> rer, ulong_t index){
return !(rer->kek[index]->ck);
}

dude I-
>>
How do I hire well? I need to hire someone with more experience than me in a handful of areas to come in and code review my project, fix bad patterns/bugs/footguns etc. So I need someone that is more competent than me but not sure how to figure that out from upwork or something. I don't know what questions to ask or what answers to want when talking to these people. The best I can do is hope they have public repos with some substance and complexity to them but most of these freelancers don't.

The specific skillset I want is what any senior level engineer would have that has worked with my tech stack but idk how to weed out the shit devs.
>>
>>102050686
Just post it here I'll take a look at it.
>>
>>102050714
It's like 25-30k lines of code
>>
>>102050686
>>102050725
What are you making?
>>
>>102050747
Data analytics platform. One big pipeline of gathering, transforming and presenting data from a lot of sources. I've been working on the project alone so I've had to wear about a dozen different hats with varying levels of competence so I need someone to come in and bring everything up to an even level.
>>
>>102050791
YAGMI
>>
>>102050816
Aren't? Are? Ain't?
>>
>>102049707
I think you're based because you're using my code; I can see what library you're using.
>>
>>102040812
bros i am collapsing, hold me
>>
>>102050822
i speak in full words, not the modern nigglish mangling abomination
>>
>>102050901
full words and tourist acronyms, apparently
>>
>>102050901
Thanks I guess if I got what you mean
>>
>>102050686
It depends how quickly you want things sorted out. If you've only got a few weeks, you'll need someone with very specific skills... but you'll spend ages trying to find them. If you can afford at least 4-6 months, you can go for someone more generic; in that case you'll be after people with the right general area and plenty of experience. This second case is much easier to find; just get them to talk about the projects they've done and how they've worked with others.
You're describing the main service my department provides at work: internal contracting to clean up people's code, turning things from proofs of concept into something closer to a product. You (probably) can't hire me, and anyway I'm booked up for at least a year out, but it's a service that some big orgs have.
>>
>>102050686
>>102050791
(Following on from >>102050960) Specifically, if you're at a university, see if they've got Research Software Engineers on staff. (The exact term may vary from country to country.) You're asking for a known thing with so much demand that there are specialists for it.
>>
>>102050960
I live in an area where I could get someone with the experience I need for 3500-4000 a month for 160 hours but it's hard finding freelancers as you say. There are a lot of companies here that do what yours does, staffing/outsourcing/augmenting. I'm not sure those are quite in my budget, would probably be closer to the 30-50 bucks per hour price.
>>
>>102050852
You wrote tkinter?
>>
>>102051053
at this point just gpl it and companies will come to you and not only pay the workers but pay you to be a reference for the codebase
>>
>>102051103
No, I wrote part of what tkinter sits on top of, lol
>>
>>102051120
tk/tcl?
>>
>>102047960
if you are turbo autistic about setting up a system that works well with a team (you are programming by yourself and you will never work with anyone else).
you could use azure because it supports something called symbol indexing for core dumps.
so essentially you could make modifications every day, upload full debug binaries, and if any of the binaries give a core dump, the symbol indexing will find the source code that version of the binary used.
for actually releasing a binary you probably don't want to release debug info, and without debug info the dumps are mostly useless for nothing more than a stack trace, and you want users to upload the dump automatically, so something like bugsplat is better because it just works.
The only problem is that you need an azure account with your credit card details (no different than github actions if your code is closed sourced I think), and you need to use msbuild I think.
The manual way of handling core dumps, is before you release you copy your code into a unique folder, then build and release that binary, keep that folder and don't touch it, and if you get any core dumps make sure you know which version of the binary was for the core dump and open it with that version.
To get core dumps the direct way (for someone who is just testing your game) would be procdump (with a bat file to run with). and ask them to upload it somehow since it's usually like 500mb, 50% less if zipped (google drive or sendfiles.dev).
>>
>>102050892
You've got it from here bro. Never stop giving up.
>>
>>102051139
There's a lot of my code in there
>>
>>102051651
Neet, I really enjoy tk.
>>
>>102040812
made my own orm
>>
>>102052135
orm?
>>
>>102052597
yeah an orm, I'm not very far into it but it's coming along quite well so far
>>
The postfix increment and decrement operators are proving troublesome to implement. The prefix versions work just fine, but I'm not parsing the postfix ones correctly.
>>
File: 1720809677855469.jpg (165 KB, 594x473)
165 KB
165 KB JPG
>>102051446
Bro that sounds exquisite. I've done it the manual way before and it's tedious and annoying and error-prone having to store everything manually every time I make a build. Symbol indexing sounds like it will help me a lot. Gonna take a deeper look ASAP, thank you for sharing my brother in autism
>>
>>102054293
You would need a data center the size of a planet to store that,
>>
>>102051651
Why would you admit to that?
Why would ANYONE admit to that?
>>
learning x64 assembly so I can write a snake clone in the terminal. I don't plan to get too deep in assembly
>>
>>102055284
I recommend AVX2: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/docs/intrinsics-guide/index.html#ig_expand=3813,4142&techs=AVX_ALL
>>
>>102055310
I have no idea what that is, what is usecase for my simple project?
>>
>>102055346
Processing 32 bytes of data per instruction in hugeass registers.
>>
File: 1717671919873571.png (410 KB, 735x642)
410 KB
410 KB PNG
>>102055362
this seems overkill for a brainlet like me, i just wanna make le snake game so I can call myself a low level programmer
>>
>>102055388
>his seems overkill
It's not. Vector instructions is a domain in which compiler code generation absolutely sucks, so it will come in handy for many years, if not decades.
>>
>>102055388
just do the opposite of what the wintoddler tells you to
>>
>>102055603
Why?
>>
>>102055616
not my problem to figure that out
>>
>nocodeshitter
>>
>>102055672
been a while since I called you that, but I see that didn't stop you having it rent-free in your head, good, good, you should forever remember what you are, my favorite nocodeshitting wintoddler
>>
>>102055388
Do exactly what the AVX guy tells you. The nocodeshitter is called that for a reason.
>>
File: %22some%22 of the ways.png (2.48 MB, 3840x2160)
2.48 MB
2.48 MB PNG
>>102045384
>>
>>102055779
fr fr no cap this level of flexibility is not bussin
>>
>>102055388
dont get psyoped into never finishing that game bro
write whatever you want, even if it isnt the fastest
Good software does what it says on the tin, thats it.
>>
File: part_of_the_problem.png (397 KB, 828x683)
397 KB
397 KB PNG
>>102055813
Wrong.
>>
>>102055813
I wonder how many years it will take the wintoddler to realize that his AVX code runs on slowest operaring system in the world and therefore is irrelevant and optimized wrong.
>>
File: 1694731742132714.png (9 KB, 300x797)
9 KB
9 KB PNG
I love how the nocodeshitter completely ignores that I'm quite aware of Windows' shortcomings - heck, I'm the one who unearthed them. It's just that most people will never use anything else, and it's where the money's at, so you might as well do your best.
>thank fuck the open-source community is fucking retarded too
>>
>>102055821
kill yourself autistic loser
>>
>muh money
so larp about performance is just a larp and you don't care that all HPC computing isn't done on windows, nor your toy gaming PC...?
>>
>>102055864
ironic consider you don't have a job and will never have a job that isn't menial labour
>>
>so larp about performance is just a larp
What confused you about "do your best"? Just because the system is retarded doesn't mean you can't make fast software and much money.
>>
>menial labour
You sound like an expert in that field. Care to elaborate?
>>
>>102055891
you make negative money and your software is only fast at crashing if there's any at all coming out your larping hands
>>
/g/uys is the not the place to discuss programming? All I see is greentext cherry picking and anons calling each other job less losers whatever
>>
>his best is being a wintoddler that shits up /dpt daily
go back to playing fortnite
>>
how do you discuss programming with someone that doesn't do it
>>
>>102055916
you can discuss it on >>>/v/
>>
Trying to make some sysadmin software with Tkinter to monitor which computers have a specific program running and connected with TCPview. Any of you guys done this before and have suggestions?

I can only use the python standard library, cmd and powershell.

I also used threads for the first time because the button froze when it was waiting for a ping command to finish. Pretty cool stuff
>>
File: EBIL_SATANICHIO.jpg (23 KB, 700x394)
23 KB
23 KB JPG
>>102055888
CHECKED BLESSED

WINTODDLERS UTTERLY BTFO
BTFOBTFOBTFOBTFOBTFOBTFOBTFOBTFOBTFOBTFOBTFOBTFOBTFOBTFOBTFOBTFOBTFOBTFOBTFOBTFOBTFOBTFOBTFOBTFOBTFOBTFOBTFOBTFOBTFOBTFOBTFOBTFOBTFOBTFOBTFOBTFOBTFOBTFOBTFOBTFOBTFOBTFOBTFOBTFOBTFOBTFOBTFOBTFO
>>
>negative money
Another expert in burning money? Doesn't surprise me. Most people ITTs are garbage.

>shits up /dpt daily
>CTRL + F
>"post code"
>1 of 3 matches
>no code posted
You get what you fucking deserve, crybaby.
>>
>>102055925
just @ yourself if your post got flooded bro
>>
>>102055936
What?
>>
>>102055925
sounds interesting anon

Maybe this is similar, I wanted to document all the software running on every PC in the office. It would create {pc name}.txt file in a directory and dumped every installed program on that PC.
>I also used threads
threads are fun to learn, but I find it hard to find a good use for them
>>
>>102055868
Just because I'm curious: has that ever worked? Like, at all? Or is that you just autistically seething at things that remind you how powerless you actually are?
>>
>>102055945
unless it was in a dream (dreaming of shitposting on a basket-weaving forum?) i have seen your post earlier.
>>
>>102055953
Similar, but I need to know what software has active connections to other computers on my network so that if it drops unexpectedly, I can restart the software.
>>
>>102056029
Oh, I asked in tech workers too, but I don't think that was the place to expect a response.
>>
>>102055898
>>102055932
I love how that shut them up. Just ask a nocodeshitter for code, and you can see them crumble to dust in real time.
>>
>>102055993
what prompt did you use for this post because it doesn't make any sense and has nothing to do with what you're replying to
>>
>gaslighting
I think the nocodeshitter's getting desperate.
>>
>>102056145
all you do is post disassemblies and performance metrics for other people's software doe
anyways post bussy
>>
>more gaslighting
I seem to have him rattled.
>>
>>102056208
>nuh-uh you're lying
who's him? anyway why do you have such difficulty using the reply feature
>>
>who's him?
A nocodeshitter, as is evident by the fact he never ever posts anything programming-related.
>>
>>102056255
do you?
>>
>>102056255
i mean you kept malding at everyone (including me) who wanted to talk about programming in the daily programming thread until they got tired and left.
anyways, you know what to do. post b...
>>
>do you?
Sure. Just look up past threads. Registry dumper, AVX splitter, PCSX2, tracer ... it's all there.

>you kept malding at everyone (including me)
Awww, did I rightfully call you incompetent, too? But that's not malding, that's just the truth.
Anyways, you know what to do, post c...
>>
>Registry dumper, AVX splitter, PCSX2, tracer
>>
embarrassing
>>
>>102056316
what did you work on in pcsx2? btw no you kept malding at me because I didn't agree with you.
post boossy
>>
Post code, and I'll tell you.
>inb4 no code at all, as usual from a nocodeshitter
>>
>>102056402
I haven't seen your bussy yet though
>>
>>102047706
>>
File: 1724498362747.png (25 KB, 743x216)
25 KB
25 KB PNG
>>102056402
>>
Is that code you've written yourself? That's really pathetic.
>>102047510
>>
anon posted some code, so you should post bussy in exchange, no?
>>102056439
no
>>
I've specifically stated:
>code you've written
And your code doesn't fit that requirement.
>>
File: 1657150571773.jpg (292 KB, 2000x2000)
292 KB
292 KB JPG
>>102056432
yep thats a cin
>>
>>102056460
I wrote it and the other anon said he didn't
can't you read?
>>
I asked YOU for your code, not that other anon. It's that simple.
>>
>>102056460
here's a hello world: https://play.rust-lang.org/?version=stable&mode=debug&edition=2021&gist=b18ea000643d6c64f91bcf26f7ac8902

post bussy now?
>>
new >>102056521
>>
That code is so beginner-level it's completely worthless.
>>
>>102056531
post yours
>>
>>102056316
>>
>>102056531
come on, I'm not going to post real code I'm working on. I open source my shit and I don't want it to be associated with saying "post bussy" on /dpt/ because I actually care about being employable.
anyway, time for you to uphold your end of the deal. post.
>>
>>102056548
what point do you think you're making by quoting that post
>>
>I'm not going to post real code
As expected from a nocodeshitter. There's no deal.
>>
>>102056561
you won't either
>>
>>102056531
meanies get the rope.
>>
>what point do you think you're making by quoting that post
So you're admitting to have no common sense whatsoever?
>>
>>102056569
I admit that it's impossible to get anything worthwile out of you because you're inherently worthless
>>
>you won't either
>>102056316

>meanies get the rope
That's not mean though. The code IS beginner-level, and it IS worthless.
>>
>you're inherently worthless
I love how I can just quote myself over and over again today: >>102056316
>>
File: s0yfish.png (51 KB, 379x168)
51 KB
51 KB PNG
>i love how
>>
>>102056593
I love how it keeps being meaningless over and over again and I really wonder what do you think that post is supposed to mean or prove
>>
>more gaslighting
I also love how your modus operandi never changes. And once again, for my ego's sake: >>102056316
>>
>>102043101
nigga you can see the FUTURE?!
>>
>>102056639
lmao fucking kek
>>
>>102056639
did he die in a fire?
>>
>>102043101
I just feel sad when i see this stuff and think that someone took the time out of their day to write this crap to an anonymous stranger on the internet.
That's time you could've spent working on your personal projects or engaging in positive social interactions with people in your life. Or even just reading programming books or good information.
>>
>>102056840
>positive social interactions with people in your life
Worthless. People are parasites who deserve every single bit of shit you can shove down their throats and then some.
>>
>>102056316
>>102056278
Both of you are very important to this thread and deserve recognition. Please put on a name or a trip so everybody knows to pay careful attention when reading your posts.
>>
<stomp>
>>
>>102056840
i work many hours a day on my stuff but i can always find the time to shitpost on 4chong.
You sometimes need that dopamine hit from hitting send yk, can you imagine if you were to think nonstop consciously? literally the matrix.
>>
>>102057258
You will never fit in anywhere
>>
>>102057935
Is that a confession?

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.