[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/g/ - Technology

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1693515179423014.png (130 KB, 1189x612)
130 KB
130 KB PNG
>GNOME
>>
>2024
>Gnome
>>
File: LOL.jpg (141 KB, 1000x647)
141 KB
141 KB JPG
>>102089056
>usr

WHAT COULD "USR" POSSIBLY MEAN?! I CAN'T TAKE IT, I'M GOING BACK TO WINDOWS.
>>
>>102089111
What's with all these cryptic shits?
>>
File: 145338.jpg (152 KB, 672x936)
152 KB
152 KB JPG
>>102089124
It's sooooo goddamn CRYPTIC.
>>
>>102089056
I see the solution in the first sentence of your pic what's the issue?
>>
>>102089178
Issue is, you could browse the root folder normally before they removed that feature from their file manager.
>>
>>102089056
>usr is user
>*normalfaggot's brain explodes*
>>
>>102089212
can't u browse it again if u press / + enter ?
>>
File: umaru.jpg (46 KB, 500x556)
46 KB
46 KB JPG
>use GNOME
>use /bin as Recycle Bin
>it is time to empty the bin
>delete /bin
>komputer krashes
>go the the gnome store and ask for a refund
>they give me new x220 for free
>>
File: images (3).jpg (6 KB, 225x225)
6 KB
6 KB JPG
He hehehe he- He ho ho he ho hooo-
>>
What is the intended purpose of Nautilus, the graphical file manager? To manage user files. Not, evidently, to manage system files. Why would you ever do that graphically to begin with? This is part of making FOSS accessible to everyone. It might feel burdensome in a kneejerk way for a poweruser to have ro press an extra button, but even fucking Linus McTechTips managed to destroy his entire system through recklessly skimming a few warnings and destroying his system files. Grandma doesn't need to be in /bin
>>
>>102089111
>Sbin
>System binaries
>/Usr/sbin
>Non essential binaries
What did they mean by this?
>>
>>102089363
Not essential for the system to boot and function. Mostly added by user later after booting the OS.
>>
SYSWOW64
>>
>>102089111
None of this makes any sense.
>>
>because i know what a word means that means that that word by itself is now suddenly not cryptic by itself to those who dont already know what it is
(aside from usr)
wew lads...
>>
File: 1719121113159894.jpg (58 KB, 750x600)
58 KB
58 KB JPG
>>102089056
Having everything that's not USB storage under "Other locations" was retarded already, but this is even worse.
Yes, you can type / in the address bar and abuse the bookmarks to get what every normal file browser already does by default.
But what no one mentioned is that this also needlessly complicates browsing other partitions or network shares. Do they expect you to open Gnome Disks, select the device, mount the partition and then click the link to wherever it was mounted to so a new Nautilus window opens?

It's like they only let brain damaged people make their decisions. KDE is basically abandonware but at least they don't remove features at random.
>>
>>102089540
Why would you ever manage your system files graphically?
>>
>>102089575
Why would you ever manage files graphically?
>>
>>102089056
I get, they want to make it more pleasant to use for people who don't really know computers. Sucks that it makes it worse for advanced users though
>>
>>102089540
>KDE is basically avandonware
Lmao wat
>>
>>102089575
>Why would you ever have files on another partition chud?
>>
>>102089622
A fair point. It's mostly for grandma. I do it when I'm feeling lazy
>>102089657
Where did you hear that these won't be automounted and available from the sidebar? In the screenshot they only talk about the root filesystem.
>>
>>102089654
I'll explain it so that someone who has never used KDE can understand as well. KDE, maaany feature. But some feature nobody there to maintain. When many other thing change, feature now not work good.
>>
>>102089540
>Yes, you can type / in the address bar
so whats the problem?
>>
>>102089717
by that logic windows is abandonware because the guys that new how file explorer works are all gone by now. (thats where that bugged update that deleted files in user documents came from, someone different trying to work on it)
>>
>>102089717
Do you realize that if even KDE is abandonware like you're saying it's completely over for Linux?
>>
KDE is shit. Same for Xfce. Used to be proprietary software. Can't trust the devs. GNOME was created by GNU to establish liberty. Do not trust the schemers and compromisers who develop the other desktops. Install GNOME
>>
>>102089747
Microsoft pays people to work on the file explorer, it will never be abandoned.
>>
>>102089775
How so? Linux is a kernel and it is very actively maintained.
>>
>>102089830
>thread about desktop Linux
>LINUX IS LE KERNEL
>>
>>102089798
I use Xfce and KDE you can't stop me Gnomie
>>
>>102089717
I've been using KDE stuff for over a decade, most of that time as the main DE. Can't say I've had this issue
>>
>CTRL+L /
i thought you guys were supposed to be power users
>>
File: 1712839858206621.png (20 KB, 969x97)
20 KB
20 KB PNG
Can a gnome developer tell me why it was removed in the first place?
>>
>>102089838
kde is not linux.
>>
>>102089849
Absolutely proprietary. You disgust me.
>>
>>102089798
Xfce is the best DE, idc what it started as
>>
>>102089897
>hurr durr we need to dumb down the application because muh we need to be as user unfriendly as applel
>>
>>102089972
>trading liberty for utility
You are not worthy. In Stallman's name I cast thee out! Back! Back into the darkness with you, redcoat! Back to the wretched pit from whence you came!
>>
>>102089897
Seems to say in OP
>>102089056
>>
>>102089850
You've never used the widgets or tried any desktop effects? Many old user themes are broken in some way, too. Ever tried Krunner? Last time I did it a lot of the quick launch prefixes were broken or outdated
>>
>>102089691
>Where did you hear that these won't be automounted and available from the sidebar?
That's not how Gnome operates. They just stubbornly remove things, since you can always use user extensions/get with the times/fork it, right?
It would be good (as in 'on par with every other file manager') it they did it that way but that's probably against their so called vision
>>
>>102090049
Not everything has been ported over to Qt6 yet, if that's what you're talking about. Can't say I had anything that stopped working, the widgets and everything had been ported over when I updated.
> Ever tried Krunner? Last time I did it a lot of the quick launch prefixes were broken or outdated
I use it daily. Had zero issues with it, didn't even know it was affected by the switch tbqh
>>
>>102089363
>>102089388
/sbin and /usr/sbin are symlinks to /usr/bin on arch linux
>>
>>102090138
oh, so you made it up
that's cool
>>
>>102090145
what about ubuntu?
>>
>>102090006
it's FOSS now, what difference does the origin actually make to someone who isn't a neurotic autist?
>>
>>102090214
THERE IS NO FREEDOM WITHOUT VIGILANCE
>>
>>102090145
Most major distros, I'd say
>>102090210
Seems to have been the case since 19.04
>>
>>102090187
Are you on Gnome 47 right now?
>>
>>102090295
no, using debian stable
>>
>>102089343
How is a normie supposed to save a file that is accessible to both him and the user account of his mother?
>>
>>102090628
right click --> share to other user would be a good feature
>>
I really hope Microsoft is paying Gnome to make Linux as shitty as possible. If they're doing it for free, it's embarrassing.
>>
>>102090769
you use a DE that apes Windows beat for beat thoughever
>>
>>102089111
it is a complete mess desu and could use an overhaul
>>
>>102090893
Already exist, check gobolinux
https://www.wiki.gobolinux.org/Overview/The-GoboLinux-Way/
>>
>>102089343
These „beginner“ users everyone in the gnome team is referring to don’t exist. Every Linux user has at least some computer experience that goes beyond just clicking on buttons. Thats by design since 99.5% of Linux users needed to install their system in the first place. And after installing will likely run into some issues or shortcomings of their system where fixing makes the command line necessary. They are trying so hard to be apple which is such a cringe fallacy and making the project a total waste of time for everyone.

Gnome literally has no usecase. You can easily make kde behave like gnome and you will have zero downsides but a lot of upsides. KDE even runs better on touch devices by now.
>>
>>102090843
Um, I don't think LXQt had a single change since the release of Windows 11 albeittheless?
>>
>>102090966
I already systematically refuted your argument last thread
>>
>>102090966
You seem to be completely correct
>>102090982
Let's hear it though
>>
>>102091065
no I have to go to work
>>
>>102089056
GNOME decisions always make perfect sense if you see them as wannabe Apple devs who don't have the talent to work there, so they use Linux as their personal playground to apply what they think Apple's UX philosophy is, filtered through their own lack of taste.

So GNOME Files must make it hard to access / because macOS Finder makes it hard to access /, but they don't understand why macOS is like that because of the same lack of taste that's stopping them from working there. macOS is not Linux and macOS's target demographic is not the same as GNOME's. Linux doesn't hide it's unixisms as well as macOS does, so the average Linux user is much more likely to need to access / than the average macOS user. A tasteful Linux file manager would make it easy to access /, but GNOME can't, because it's tasteless macOS cosplay. You can see this lack of taste all over GNOME if you look.
>>
>>102089575
its mostly for users with little experience, who just want to do a small task occasionally, for example installing a program to /opt/ or edit a conf or similar. For example gnome has no graphical samba support. Maybe they are watching a youtube tutorial where somebody is doing it graphically (with root access in dolphin) and then cant easily repeat it in nautilus...
Not every beginner knows how to correctly use mv cp ls etc with the according options to effectively use them and when you are new to the system you just want to get some things done and not need to read about option a to command b to fullfill task c and so on...
>>
>>102091091
kek
I really hope gnome developers will read this. You are correct on everything you said.
>>
>>102090982
i havent even been to the last thread so tell me please
>>
>>102090732
yeah, lets just add stupid things to emulate basic features any filesystem has
>>
Why are you using gnome in 2k24
>>
>>102089111
Those descriptions are useless, i still don't know what i'm allowed to do. On Windows it's so easy by comparison.
>>
>>102091334
It came with my distro and I dislike how ugly and broken KDE is
>>
>>102091334
me? a rat
>>
>>102089111
I mean I've unironically had people say similar things.
Basic concepts in games, on their phones, etc seem to just really scare the shit out of people.
>>
>>102091396
She is a mouse
>>
>>102091363
>on windows its easy
User/AppData/Roaming....
>>
>>102090966
>These „beginner“ users everyone in the gnome team is referring to don’t exist.
One of the funniest things about GNOME is that the closest thing to a pure-beginner Linux user is using KDE Plasma right now. The Steam Deck is the only recent device I can think of that:
>is commercially successful
>is marketed at and bought by completely non-technical users who didn't consciously choose to run Linux and aren't doing it for their job
>ships mostly-unmodified desktop Linux with one of the big 2 DEs installed (even though it boots into a custom full-screen Steam UI by default)
And Valve picked KDE instead of GNOME for it, specifically because of the things that people always criticize them about - slow adoption of Wayland protocols they don't see the use case for. I don't think GNOME could have failed harder at the goal they ruined their DE for.
>>
>>102091422
out of ten
>>
>>102091363
>game save isn't in program files
>check the game saves folder in documents
>it isn't there either
>check appdata
>nothing
>???? How
>eventually find it in roaming and not local
>whew, finally
>transfer save to another machine
>???
>why did none of the settings transfer over?
>find out game saves settings seperately in the x86 version of program files
>god
>fucking
>damn it
And don't even get me started on regedit bullshit.
>>
>>102089624
>they want to make it more pleasant to use for people who don't really know computers
it never fucking works. each layer of obfuscation over the filesystem makes it exponentially harder for noobs.
>>
>>102091375
>I dislike how ugly and broken GNOME is
So why not use KDE?
>>
>>102089624
>"We need to make to make it easier!" says the dude using the DE that decided the minimize button is unneeded.
>>
>>102089056
>click other locations
>first choice under "On This Device"
wow, so hard. stick to your shitty crashy DE faggot.
>>
>>102091103
I want to add that even if you managed to access a config file using nautilus (for example by making use of the well-known alt+up keybindings), after having spent ten minutes to edit it the editor will NOT ask you for a root passwort to save it, instead it will just tell you you cant.
>>
>>102091692
anon, they removed that "other locations" from the sidebar.
>>
>>102089798
XFCE itself wasn't proprietary per se. But it may have been "derivative" from a proprietary library.
Xforms was indeed proprietary, which was the issue.
XFCE switched to GTK early on because of the licensing issues of Xforms.
>>
>>102090398
So you don't know either. Give me your e mail address so I can tell you "told you so" when it becomes available in some distro
>>
>>102089575
When i started using Linux during GNOME 2 days, i used gedit to edit config files, because i was not familiar with nano yet and vim was out of the question anyway.

Saying that nobody should use an UI to access system files is not newcomer friendly..
And even if your system is perfect and you really never have to access them, you make the learning curve much steeper.
Someone who starts out on GNOME fresh, could become a developer in the future.
If every newcomer is a locked-in baby in a hugbox, they will never get there.
>>
>>102091624
Noobs don't really even get files and folders anymore. So this makes it worse but also gotta make it easier and easier for them if you want them to be able to use shit
>>102091657
Oh they don't have a minimize button?
>>
>>102091810
ok... maybe it truly is over, but it's still here as far as I can see.
>>
>>102091938
>Noobs don't really even get files and folders anymore
So we can remove Nautilus.
Can you name a single reason why GNOME should have a file explorer?
>>
>>102091992
You're using version 47?
>>
>>102092000
This.
Restricting the file explorer to a subset of user files is stupid. Especially because there might be multiple user accounts. How do you explain to a user that he can access A but not B?
It is just confusing for the newcomer.

You either go all the way and embrace the phone-fag post-filesystem world, or you do a proper file explorer that can explore files.
I am strongly in favor of removing GNOME Files.
>>
>>102092000
I think it might be handy
>>
UNIX names are fucking retarded you've got to admit
>>
>>102092166
they made sense in the beginning, e.g., /usr held user directories
>>
>>102092205
why not just call it /user
>>
>>102089894
ctrl L is superfluous to the step. press / and enter.
>>102091938
>minimize button?
if youre on a laptop super + h.

other locations isnt gonna help granny that much if her volumes aren't named well. sonny still would have to make a visit and point out which one.
it does have an air of stubborn gnome about it, but power users are gonna use a file browser with more features like split panes, and granny is probably going to be on a distro that cares about basic user workflow that isnt using nautilus.
if you want to learn gnome pure, its still a very good system imo. just need a keyboard nearby, no tv couch computing.
>>
>>102092209
longer to type.
>>102092205
freebsd has it in there still. i love that about it.
>>
>>102089056
Hot tip: If you don't know linux root folder structure, you can learn more by using `man hier` in your terminal.
>>
>>102092378
>longer to type.
barely
>>102092433
more ridiculous esoteric names for fundamental shit
and why are there no man pages for basic shit like cd, for/while, etc.?
or do they just have stupid names, too?
>>
test
>>
>>102092488
Hey! Good qs: for, while, cd ... are generally parts of the shell that you're using, e.g. bash. You can find more information about those constructs and how to use them under `man bash`. Since it was part of your question, here's the section for `cd` under that man page as an example --

cd [-L|[-P [-e]] [-@]] [dir]
Change the current directory to dir. if dir is not supplied, the value of the HOME shell variable is the default. Any additional arguments following dir are ignored. The variable CDPATH defines the search path for the directory containing dir: each directory name in CDPATH is searched for dir. Alternative directory names in CDPATH are separated by a colon (:). A null directory name in CDPATH is the same as the current directory, i.e., ``.''. If dir begins with a slash (/), then CDPATH is not used. The -P option causes cd to use the physical directory structure by resolving symbolic links while traversing dir and before processing instances of .. in dir (see also the -P option to the set builtin command); the -L option forces symbolic links to be followed by resolving the link after processing instances of .. in dir. If .. appears in dir, it is processed by removing the immediately previous pathname component from dir, back to a slash or the beginning of dir. If the -e option is supplied with -P, and the current working directory cannot be successfully determined after a successful directory change, cd will return an unsuccessful status. On systems that support it, the -@ option presents the extended attributes associated with a file as a directory. An argument of - is converted to $OLDPWD before the directory change is attempted. If a non-empty directory name from CDPATH is used, or if - is the first argument, and the directory change is successful, the absolute pathname of the new working directory is written to the standard output. ... and some more, too long ...
>>
>>102092433
It's amazing how few people know this.
>>
>>102092592
I spent too much time in man pages on my first walk through building a(n?) LFS. That's the only reason why I do! There's so much good info locked in those pages. There's even a system C development manual in it in a lot of cases, haha.
>>
>>102091992
They removed it on 47.
>>
>>102089111
>/Usr/bin
I just put everything into $HOME/.local/bin and then add that to my path. Just try and stop me.
>>
File: 1708311902099894.jpg (152 KB, 680x680)
152 KB
152 KB JPG
>>102091569
the difference is that windows is consistently a clusterfuck. this structure hasn't changed in literally 20 years. and the reasoning for it is valid: backwards compatibility.

loonix, on the other hand, is obsessed with reinventing the same wheel just in different shades of shit brown.

FOSS autists dont understand that CONSISTENCY is the most important factor of ANYTHING.
>>
>>102089056
I kind of see his point here. If you, for any reason whatsoever, need to manipulate files in the root directory, then do it from the command line. If you cannot do that then you have no business venturing outside of your ~/.
>>
>>102089297
>>102089178
Most keyboards don't have a '/' key. That's only on US layout. This is a huge regression and an usability issue.
>>
>>102089111
>usr
it obviously means "user", so that's where your profile directory is
>>
>>102089343
If you idiots are so concerned on the poor userinos just add a small red disclaimer whenever a user is outside /home/ explaining that those are system files and should not be touched. That's far more logical than making it so nobody can browse those directories at all.

Not that it matters since you can't modify anything outside of /home/ without root permissions. Nautilus doesn't offer any way to elevate privileges from itself and Wayland doesn't allow GUI programs to run as root without using XWayland or Polkit workarounds; both of which are outside the scope of new users anyway (and more dangerous than gksu ever was.)
>>
>>102092488
>barely
you wanted to know why, thats precisely why.
>>
>>102089838
>>102089913
Excuse me, but i'd like to interject for a moment. What you call KDE or as I have recently taken to calling it KDE+GNU
>>
>>102090214
>>102090224
I didnt even know XFCE was anything ever but FOSS. If anything, learning that hasn't always been that way is really black-pilling. I think i'm going to go and have a little whine on the internet about something i know nothing about.
>>
>>102090769
They basically are. Microsoft is "guiding" the development through its patents. Dont forget that. Anyone puts real money i.e. non-autistic man-hours into a venture, they want a return on their labor. No one would dare try, save for autistic
>>
>>102093347
Steam
>>
>>102090006
Fuck you. RMS has zero issues with privative software gone free.
>>
>>102092829
>That's far more logical than making it so nobody can browse those directories at all.
You are just proving that their design philosophy worked for keeping retards from fucking up their system files while letting power users do as they please. Anyone can just enter the root directory from the title bar you dumb fuck.
>>
Un using NixOS with Hyprland
>>
>>102092488
you're being silly
>>
>>102093401
so?
>>
>>102093433
idiot
>>
>>102093401
power user wouldn't use fucking nautilus for cd-ing to root directory.
>>
>>102092829
Then I frankly don't know what you're bitching about. Creating a clear division between user and system space is wise. Every time some retarded YouTuber bricks their system, Linux takes another massive credibility hit.
>>
>>102093493
so there is no point in accessing root in the file manager after all? what exactly do you want?
>>
>>102092720
okay, Adolf.
>>
>>102092862
why not just call it /u then?
>>102093417
no I'm not
>>
>>102093986
i would
>>
File: 1624743951536.jpg (52 KB, 640x480)
52 KB
52 KB JPG
Serious question to gnome fags, why do you tolerate this treatment when there are so many better options available that don't have such user hostile devs?
I don't see the point when other DE can not only mimic gnome but also out perform it in regards to resource management and features.
>>
>>102094093
>user hostile
You mean not midwit pandering? GNOME gets out of my way and lets me do shit. It doesn't provide a sea of options for every little thing because the devs grasp that you want a graphical desktop to effortlessly perform simple functions/launch simple graphical programs. They don't try to make their GUI rival the command line because it is impossible to maintain that level of complexity practically speaking and it will never actually reach parity with a text based interface. It's a pointless bandaid solution for people who want to perform system level fine grain configuration and execute extremely complicated chains of functions without bothering to acquaint themselves meaningfully with the command line, which would be the better tool for the job every time
>>
>>102094168
>GNOME gets out of my way and lets me do shit
Cope phrase used by buck broken retards that can't function. Every UI accomplishes that, I don't even know how that's valid when the piece of shit is a resource hog and prone to breaking when it updates if you happen to use any extra productivity extension. Lower your voice before speaking to me with reddit mantras
>>
>>102089111
man this is old

>bin
obsolete
>boot
none of your business, don't touch it
>usr
anything managed by package managers, bin links to /usr/bin nowadays
>var
none of your business
>sbin
see bin
>lib
see bin
>tmp
ramfs
>dev, proc
managed by kernel and userspace drivers, dont touch it
>mnt
obsoleted by gvfs
>>
>>102094299
>extensions
Your fault, you don't need extensions. None of them are useful or stable. Don't use hacks made by retards.
>every ui accomplishes that
KDE doesn't. KDE software is fucking impossible to use because the useful settings you want to configure to get to a sensible setup (like the one presented by default in GNOME) is nested in layer after layer of pointless little fucking tweaks that children insist they be able to make to their GUI because they don't have anything better to do. Just use the fucking command line, A GUI's job is to be dead simple and that's it
>>
>>102094093
i don't base my choice of DE on which one has the most bells and whistles
i can do anything i want as long as i have the terminal
>>
File: file.png (9 KB, 252x251)
9 KB
9 KB PNG
>>102089897
removed?
>>
>>102094361
>Calls other's midwits
>absolute brainlet
There's a reason why users are fleeing gnome and not even valve would touch then. Cope while bussy boy chops off another one of your toes.
>>
>>102094476
>claims every desktop gets out of your way
>I point out one of the many ways in which KDE doesn't but in fact constantly faces bloat and obstacles in your path
>o-o-ok but you're dumb bussy bussy lololol
Klown Desktop Environment.
>>
>>102094497
KDE doesn't get in your way, it's a bog standard DE out the box with it's own quick search feature with krunner. It even has one of the best file managers on linux. If you want to talk about stock experiences KDE destroys gnome in that department while using less resources AND having more customization. Your DE is so fucking garbage it embarrassed linux on the biggest tech normie channel and made a company create it's own DE as a response. How many DE have been created because of the pants on the head retarded decisions the gnome foundation has done at this point?
Why do they also all end up being better than gnome after too?
Without the corpos funding this piece of shit it would have died by now.
>>
>>102089363
That they aren't essential for the operation of the machine? Because they are user level programs that all users should have access to?
>>
Does anyone here even actively use Gnome 3+?

I generally got the impression, that at this point it's practically a zombie used by practically no one.
>>
>>102094554
>customization
bloat, garbage, unnecessary, go away. you don't need to customize your fucking GUI
>stock experience
KDE is incredibly inefficient and slow and for some reason insists on continuing to imitate Windows instead of moving to a more modern and usable flow, except for where it badly and sloppily attempts to imitate GNOME. GNOME is effortless and unobtrusive. No gay effects, no transparency, fantastic readability, your whole desktop made available to you with a single keypress. I don't need an ultra complicated graphical file manager. If I need to perform complex file operations I will use the fucking CLI because it is better in every conceivable way. I use nautilus to move images from my downloads to my pictures folder with one hand
>>
>>102089111
>/var/spool/news
>No /var/spool/mail
Is this bait?
>>
>>102094654
>KDE is incredibly inefficient and slow
stopped reading there gnome uses more resources
Take your fucking meds
>>
>>102094727
>b-b-b-b-but my ram
Oh my God, shut the fuck up, retard.
>>
>>102094654
>If I need to perform complex file operations I will use the fucking CLI because it is better in every conceivable way.
Them why is GNOME being dumbed down to grandma with Alzheimer's level? Also good luck telling an actual beginner that "the file manager can't do this, open a terminal and type these arcane commands if you want to accomplish that, it's more efficient." The GNOME brain rot is real.
>>
>>102094767
>makes retarded statement
>gets corrected on his retardation
>seethes
Why does it always feel like I'm picking on special needs children whenever I debate gnome spergs?
>>
>>102094767
>no argument
take the L and leave, ebussy
>>
>>102089111
If you're a noob the only directories outside of home you are probably going to use are /usr, /etc and /media. Don't even think about this shit.
>>
>>102094771
Normal people do not need to fuck around in root. Normal people do not need to perform complex file operations. They just need to use their simple fucking GUI to do normal basic shit. They need it to get out of their fucking way
>>
>>102094793
>>102094796
RAM IS NOT PERFORMANCE
>>
>>102094834
KDE is still faster than gnome by a long shot LMAO
Why are you so fucking dumb, why do you assume that KDE is the end all be all of this argument when every other DE user will say the same thing about gnome?
>>
>>102094848
>KDE is faster than gnome by a long shot
You are wrong and stupid.
>>
>>102089111
You picked the dumbest hill to die on. Some of them make obvious sense, or some sense after a little experience, but /usr and /opt are the least logical within the Unix FHS standard.
I have been using Unix-like systems since the 90's, so I am decades past the point of being used to their conventional uses, but I can still step back and observe that it is far from obvious.
>>
File: th-2001886358.jpg (18 KB, 474x316)
18 KB
18 KB JPG
>>102094807
>sudo thunar
>>
File: ratinha-dancadeira-2.gif (175 KB, 524x696)
175 KB
175 KB GIF
>>102094345
>>bin
>obsolete
For boot purposes and base operating system things it should be placed here, additional packages with "official support" should be in /usr/
>>boot
>none of your business, don't touch it
Agreed.
>>usr
>anything managed by package managers, bin links to /usr/bin nowadays
Agreed.
>>var
>none of your business
Logs and other "variable" configurations, you should know about it.
>>sbin
>see bin
*REALLY* important things for system administration and boot, mount.* and init system should be placed here
>>lib
>see bin
Again, for boot purposes and base operating system
>>tmp
>ramfs
Agreed.
>>dev, proc
>managed by kernel and userspace drivers, dont touch it
Agreed.
>>mnt
>obsoleted by gvfs
Only if you are using a desktop.

In a sense:
>/
Should be the base operating system, you can literally rm -rf /usr and you should still be able to boot.
>/usr
Where the additional packages are, managed by the package manager OR SYSTEM MANAGER if you are booting boxes through network.
>/usr/local
Literally user "operating system" environment, a place to put your shit in there

We should strive to FHS standard.
>>
>>102089343
you should have been in the /bin
>>
>>102094168
>gets out of my way
If it doesn't offer the most basic features, while still being a slow memory hog, it is as much IN MY WAY as possible.
Want to minimize an application? Ebussy stops you and tells you it hasn't got a use case.
If i want to do a thing and GNOME deliberately makes it impossible to do it, it is IN MY WAY.

You are not Apple. Your idiotic marketing phrases don't work.
And when Apple uses marketing phrases, it has a basis in reality, while you are gaslighting people.
>>
File: file.png (67 KB, 527x402)
67 KB
67 KB PNG
>>102094997
well, FHS doesn't mean much when every relevant distro goes forward with /usr merge
>>
>>102095160
Those niggers do this, but none of them dares to remove /boot on efi systems where its not needed anymore (systemd-boot or kernel shim).

And they put /efi into /boot/efi, which breaks the automounting (cause it is an automount within a automount).
Fedora even puts symlinks into /boot, so you can't use vfat there.
>>
File: 1699437176205273.png (64 KB, 1402x904)
64 KB
64 KB PNG
>>102094425
>removed?
Correct.
>>
>>102089056
Jesus fucking christ even macs are not this stupid
>>
>>102095078
>Want to minimize an application? Ebussy stops you and tells you it hasn't got a use case.
I don't like GNOME hiding the minimize button, but it's true that the only use for it is to look at the wallpaper.
>>
>>102095231
...or to stop something that is expensive to be rendered, from being rendered.

Or to have it "get out of your way".
>>
>>102095292
What's the use case for that?
>>
>>102089312
This didn't happen.
>>
>>102095310
A faster more performant system where you can have more things open before it becoming an issue.

Think about how browsers nowadays all have fake tabs, where the websites arent actually loaded, unless you click on them.

An applications knows when it doesn't have focus and when its minimized and can adjust its resource usage accordingly.
>>
>>102095352
But you can minimize windows on GNOME, it's not like it's not possible. The lack of a proper system tray is a problem, not this.
>>
>>102095215
try adding "file:///" to ~/.config/gtk-3.0/bookmarks
>>
>>102095480
Anything that makes it easier to put a window out of view (in a way the application knows what's going on) is a massive benefit for the user.
Removing any such thing is stupid and it "gets in the way" of the user.
>>
I don't see a usecase for Nautilus aka GNOME Files.
>>
>save a file
>the filename box is focused
>if you type anything at all the suggested file name will be irreversibly lost because ctrl+z doesn't work
>click on an element in the visible directory to shift focus and search for the directory you want to save in
>the thing you clicked happened to be a file
>the suggested filename is now irreversibly lost and overwritten to be the name of the file you happened to click
>>
File: 1724698710452.jpg (313 KB, 1259x1766)
313 KB
313 KB JPG
>>102094072
would you... really?
>>
>>102089056
Gnome is a cheap knockoff of iOS.
who would've thought
>>
>>102089111
>>102089224
In old Unix, /usr used to be the equivalent to modern /home.
>>
>>102094859
This has been proven, I don't know what you're on but I walked away for a few hours to still see you seethe because you're buckbroken by a foot.
>>
/g/ is terminally retarded
>>
File: 1693753189105485.png (1.59 MB, 676x1076)
1.59 MB
1.59 MB PNG
If you just use Linux mint you don't need to tinkertranny with some directories
>>
>>102089718
If only you could simply click it in the side bar like in every single other file explorer in existence.

>>102089798
>GNOME was created by GNU to establish liberty
Except gnome is designed by bumbling retards for bumbling retards.
The only liberty it's establishing is the liberty of being treated like an incompetent child by a bunch of opinionated inflated egos.
>>
File: bassi1.png (51 KB, 961x228)
51 KB
51 KB PNG
posting more certified GNOME moments
>>
File: bassi2.png (56 KB, 959x439)
56 KB
56 KB PNG
>>
File: bassi3.png (42 KB, 574x370)
42 KB
42 KB PNG
>>
File: bassi4.png (33 KB, 760x227)
33 KB
33 KB PNG
>>
File: misinterpretation.png (146 KB, 1340x702)
146 KB
146 KB PNG
>>
gnome isn't made with linux users in mind, it's made for the 80iq minimal wage workers of the corporations redhat sells rhel to.
>>
File: slowdown.png (101 KB, 1333x691)
101 KB
101 KB PNG
>>
Hahaha. They're so fucking based. /g/ screeching about blurry text on their 80k 1000 gigaflop gayming monitor and the response is justifiably "so? go fix it yourself retard, we don't exist to cater to your every whim"
>>
>>102089056
Can't you click the filepath at the top to go there anyway? Haven't used Nautilus in years but I'm pretty sure you could do that. And I ink you can add any folders to the sidebar so I imagine you can do that for root to
>>
does GTK filepicker still make it so you need to Ctrl+L every single time you open it up in order to get a proper filepath?

Does it still automatically select and close the dialogue when you press spacebar, even if you're typing/filtering a filename that includes spaces?
>>
>>102099696
>Ctrl+L
You can use the mouse now.
>>
>>102099738
but no way to just set proper filepath to show as the default instead of that toddler shit?

also the issue with spaces made GTKshit absolutely unusable for me. Complete nightmare to do simple things like pick a fucking image file to shitpost on a mongolian throatsinging forum. Even worse than the lack of thumbnails.
>>
>>102099562
He is right on this one.
>>
Sorry, still using GNOME
The other DEs just suck.
Yes, especially the windows clones like KDE and Cinnamon that microsoft refugees love shilling
>>
File: 353.jpg (63 KB, 589x435)
63 KB
63 KB JPG
what did emmanuel Bussi mean by this?
>>
>>102099933
so fucking based
God I love GNOME devs
>>
File: file.png (482 KB, 598x878)
482 KB
482 KB PNG
>>102099933
video was actually impressive though
>>
>>102089111
/urs means user, it's where home directories originally were.
>>
>>102094345
>>tmp
>ramfs
Not always. For a long time it wasn't on Debian. Still might not be, or they might have changed it recently I am not sure.
>>
>>102100202
>rayearth
So fucking based. I love this man.
>>
File: file.jpg (607 KB, 1680x1680)
607 KB
607 KB JPG
>>102100259
functionally same so long as it's deleted on boot and shutdown. It's just that if tmp is on ram it's more secure as deletion function is "provided" by hardware.
I use tmp all the time when I need to torrent my weekly series or have to fuck around with large files. Less wear and tear on ssd
>>
Goodnight, GNOMEbrothers...
>>
>>102089056
Gnome was founded by a former Microsoft employee to slowly sabotage Linux. That's why they threw a fit and started fixing a bunch of issues when they announced Cosmic by System76.
>>
>>102094997
who's this rat bitch?
>>
>>102099766
thought the same thing xD
>>
>>102099562
At what point does he not realize this space isn't for him?
Does he not realize this behavior has been a direct cause for the continually shrinking usage of gnome desktop?
>>
>>102092759
Most real keyboards do, on top of the numpad, irregardless of keyboard language or layout.
>>
>>102099842
yeah gnome seems like its one of the best floating wms out there. No matter how much you customize kde you cant hide the jank.
>>
>>102094997
>>>boot
>>none of your business, don't touch it
>Agreed.
Never installed a distro besides ubuntu award
>>
>>102089111
I thought "USR" was "User", or Soviet Russia... Anyway GNOME is an absolute disgrace as per usual and I am glad to actively partake in any organized push to boycott GNOME.
>>
>>102101049
nezumi or somthin idk
>>
>>102100202
i hate this faggot so goddamn much jesus fucking christ.
imagine trying to convince someone to use a desktop environment and they find out it's by some fucking weeb who thinks removing minimize/maximize is peak design
>>
>>102101544
He's perfect because he points users and COMPANIES to better DE where they can actually see linux in a good light. He's a very very useful idiot and his mindset and team led to more linux adoption.
>>
>>102101534
isnt nezumi japanese for rat?
>>
>>102089056
But how hard is it to just type "/" + Enter?
>>
>>102101628
the average gnometard needs a button for every possible action
>>
>>102092089
I think it might be footy
>>
>>102101639
why did they remove minimize and taskbar icon button tho
>>
>>102101857
you dont need those
>>
>>102101049
Nyon from cookie
>>
What's the point of /media when /mnt exists? Do I not mount my media?
>>
File: 1724574156768903.png (6 KB, 148x81)
6 KB
6 KB PNG
>>102091449
I wish Microshit would just outright deprecate this shit because it's so over abused by some brainlet devs, especially LocalLow
>>
>>102101049
boku no pico
>>
>>102091103
So good
>>
>>102091091
Perfect
>>
>>102089111
>"Check your bin directory"
>/bin
>/usr/bin
>/usr/local/bin
This isn't confusing at all.
>>
You know /g/ is stupid when it complains about a virtual workspaces focused desktop not having a minimize button.

That, and you can literally just turn it back on, but it's very useless.
Do you complain about window managers having neither minimize or maximize functionality as well? Making a good desktop isn't "copying windows and being done with it" so stop demanding Windows features like they're absolutely essential
(No systray is stupid though)
>>
>>102092759
>Most keyboards don't have a '/' key.
If you are using a gamer keyboard with no numpad, chances are you are better off being kept out of system files.
>>
>>102089111
>WHAT COULD "USR" POSSIBLY MEAN?!
It's not as stupid a question as you might think at first. Is it short for "user"? But then why isn't my profile directory in it, and why can't I write my user files there? Also why is there a bin, yet if I drag files there it gives me a "permission denied" error instead of deleting them? And what about sys? It doesn't contain operating system files.
>>
>>102104491
if a program doesn't tell me exactly where it's storing config/files i get lost for hours i swear
>>
>>102099562
So the other anon was bang on the money about gnome developers. Holy shit!
>>
>>102105300
>you are stupid because you complain about a shit eating focused project eating shit
>>
>>102105717
nta but yes holy shit you are stupid
>>
>>102101421
Do you have any idea how long this guy has been working on FOSS? Brigading teenage /g/tards wouldn't, who am I kidding
>>
File: 1721893978454079.png (70 KB, 685x204)
70 KB
70 KB PNG
>>102099562
>>
>>102105717
that anon, yes you are extremely stupid.
>>
>>102089111
iirc it was the name of the mountpoint they used for home directories (hence "user") on the original unix mainframe when they had to get a second drive or something retarded like that
>>
i like gnome
>>
>>102106229
All intelligent people do.
>>
KDE needs a sovlful default. It's nice that we can make it look whatever way we want, be the default should be something that looks good and is distinctly KDE. Yet, they refuse to. One of the most requested things is a frosted glass look, and it just goes ignored to this day, and we have to go with broken third-party software. Also first class global menu. It's probably the one DE that has good global menu, but it's not great, they should just embrace it. That's one of the first things many KDE users do when they boot.
>>
>>102106437
KDE needs a SOVLFVL default, like corproate product from 15 years ago. SV TRVE!
>>
>>102106478
15 years ago, corporate products had soul.
>>
>>102106486
hahaha ok baby duck
>>
>>102105774
makes sense
>>
>>102106557
said the drooling /pol/goblin
>>
File: creeeeak.wav.jpg (742 KB, 3008x1692)
742 KB
742 KB JPG
>>102106523
>noooo things assembled by an organized team of paid individuals can never have soul because... because, they just can't!
>only things made by a disorganized teams of hobbyists paid with donations can!
>>
>>102106588
Yes.
>>
What is this gay thread? If you are a power user, or someone who regularly interacts with your system's files then surely you either do shit like this in the terminal, or at least know enough keyboard shortcuts that you do 99% of shit on the keyboard? Not even a gnome user but this is gay as shit kek.
>no I heckin have to press / :((((
>>
File: 1717938028325297.png (25 KB, 1073x503)
25 KB
25 KB PNG
>>102106581
>>
>>102106600
Based
>>
>>102089111
the "e" was insecure, we care about your security and privacy
>>
File: 1724766527275.webm (412 KB, 1024x1024)
412 KB
412 KB WEBM
I fucking hate tech illiterates. they should stick with windows.
>>
>>102089056
It's a touch screen DE, what do you expect?
>>
>>102107526
touch type DE*
>>
Threads like this make me feel better about failing as a dev and leaving tech. How are you supposed to build anything that works when we can't even agree on how to browse files? Who has time to deal with this level of fragmentation? As bad as it was, I still miss when 90% of customers ran one OS because we actually got stuff done and made money.
>>
/v/-levels of raging over something completely trivial, which makes sense because most of this board is just gaymers pretending to like technology.
>>
File: zorin-17-1-desktop.jpg (255 KB, 1680x1050)
255 KB
255 KB JPG
Here's your fixed GNOME, sir.
>>
>>102107836
Based bro
>>
>>102107864
ruined
>>
>>102107864
>qemu
>>
>>102107526
You wish. The touch support is so bad that you can't even select multiple files at the same time (https://www.reddit.com/r/gnome/comments/1ef8atl/how_do_you_drag_select_or_select_multiple_things/). Gestures are absolutely bad and it doesn't recognize pen styluses. I don't know where people got this idea that gnome is a touch screen de, it's blatantly false.
>>
>>102107992
It works fine on my foldable. I use it as a tablet, a laptop, and a desktop (hooked up to an external monitor, keyboard/mouse) and GNOME works seamlessly in all three form factors
>>
>>102089363
>bunch of unix cultist discovered the filesystem is a mess so they created fake revisionist myths like the "unix system resources" meme to give the impression unix is a perfect design instead of a hack in top of a hack
That's what it means.
>>
>>102105768
He's still a fat retarded faggot?
He's driving people away from gnome desktop which is still a win for me btw so I don't really care either way because it means more people can use a good linux desktop for once
>>
>>102108863
GNOME is the good DE, though. The rest is disposable.
>>
>>102108917
More cope posting
Name one major entity that still wants to work with gnome at this point besides redhat?
>>
>>102108978
>major corporate
I don't give a fuck. Do you need Bill's permission to install a desktop environment on your own goddamn computer?
>>
>>102099933
Bussi is a fan of demon dice.
He picked her for his example music on the Amberol gnome page.
>>
>>102109003
But bill is one of the biggest funders of gnome.....You do know that don't you?
>>
>>102109014
Great. I don't care. You seem to, though.
>>
Can GNOME go one day without being embarrassing? Just one?
>>
I use gnome because I have no choice nor say in the matter. That being said, it has never failed me.
>>
>>102089111
I've always used /opt for AppImages or other portable apps lol
>>
>>102089056
Go back.
>>
>>102109025
>gnome fag breaks down when presented with facts after spreading misinfo
classic
>>
>>102109141
What are you talking about, retard? I don't care that companies give GNOME money. It doesn't mean anything. If they all stopped funding them tomorrow I would continue using GNOME. You're the one who tried to make it out like corporate support actually means something, like you need corporate support for your desktop to be usable. You're stupid.
>>
>>102089575
Sometimes when I browse images I use a graphical file browser so I can see all the thumbnails at once, though my ranger config displays images in terminal so I default to that, depends what I'm doing.
>>
>>102109168
All that babble, I'm not reading that shit. Take your meds and fuck off retard.
>>
>>102109183
Reinstall Windows or kill yourself.
>>
>>102109206
Cope fat schizo
Cope
>>
>>102089312
this happened to me once lol
>>
>>102101999
what do those folders even mean? ive always wondered.
>>
File: 1712970524138286.png (3 KB, 101x31)
3 KB
3 KB PNG
>>102109854
Local is the data/config/whatever you call it of the programs, that are meant to be stored locally.
Roaming is the same, but on the caveat that it can be synchronized with other PCs.
But the thing is, many devs don't follow this convention, sometimes it's on Roaming, sometimes it's on Local. Even some programs that have no business of being online put their settings on Roaming. Why the fuck does Aegisub, put its settings on Roaming? It's a fucking subtitle editor program, for god's sake.
>>
>>102110023
whats locallow for?
>>
>>102110080
That I don't know. It's Local but low integrity, whatever the fuck does that mean.
>>
>>102110080
>>102110161
I looked it up and supposedly locallow just has a lower level of access, such as a web browser running in protected/safe mode that wouldn't be able to access the regular local
>>
>>102092706
>windows
>consistency
retard
>>
>>102089111
whats the /nggr/ folder for???
>>
>>102110247
Stolen files
>>
>>102111907
KEK
>>
>>102110247
Slave devices
>>
>>102101544
Show me a linux desktop environment that isn't designed by weebs, furries or trannies.
>>
>>102091091
someone screenshot this and send to gnome folks
>>
>>102091363
>i still don't know what i'm allowed to do.
?????
>>
>>102115147
even the og x11 people were weird nerds
turns out nerds know stuff. how odd.
>>
>>102106437
With Asahi using KDE as the default it would actually make a lot of sense for them to put the work into a layout that MacOS users would feel more comfortable in by default, to go along with the current Windows-like default layout. Especially with the global menu support and the frosted glass.
>>
>>102105537
ever heard of the find command, GUI-tard?
>>
>>102116783
It can be done, the problem is the global menu needs to be updated to be better than what it currently is.
I use mac keybinds in my kde install so I'm all onboard with them having a setting that mirrors it. K runner makes the switch easy too.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.