[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/g/ - Technology

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1708016257786237.jpg (2.72 MB, 2500x1667)
2.72 MB
2.72 MB JPG
Is it worth buying and daily driving a Blackberry Priv?

I kinda miss physical keyboards and it looks so light and slim that I'm honestly tempted to buy one just to check it out. Could /g/ please try to talk me out of it?
Some ammo for you include:
>3410mAh battery, which has probably gone unused for 10 years which won't help either
>micro USB, no USB-C on the horizon
>bezels for days, so large they actually manage to fit the entire fucking company logo
>camera is in the shitter by literally any modern standards
>Android 5/6 so you're practically compromised the nanosecond you turn it on
>most bank apps and other payment apps will probably downright not run (and probably shouldn't either)

Am I an idiot for wanting to try it out?
I made a post on /spg/ a few weeks ago but got 0 replies so I'm trying for a thread this time.
>>
>>102093077
BlackBerry has nothing to do with privacy since it's a cheap trojan infeated chink shit now, sold to naive westerners.
>>
I'd check out the Unihertz Titan lineup. Probably won't be quite as good of a keyboard but the fact that your phone will have one at all will be kind of neat.

If you're sold on the Priv I would just make sure your carrier still supports it. Kind of blows that there's no Lineage support for it but as long as you can get a modern browser like Mull on it you should be able to do banking online with it.
>>
>>102093169
Most of these phones come with stock android and have locked bootloaders so there's no trojanshit here.
>>
>>102093077
Honestly, you sound like you've researched it an put all the best arguments against it yourself. The biggest issue is the locked bootloader, meaning you'll never put anything newer on there either which is like a bullet to the head of old phones hoping to hold up in the modern day.
That being said, don't let me talk you out of it, go for it. It's dirt-cheap so if you hate it, 100 bucks wasted.
>>
>battery
Get a new one if the one that comes with can't hold
>usb
I have yet to benefit from micro to c
>bezels
Yes, everything pre 2017 has giant bezels, cant escape them
>camera
Nothing to do, if you want to get into photography, may as well use a dedicated camera
>old android and banking
Install a rom.
>>
>>102093205
>Install a rom.
Can't. Locked bootloader. There exists no version of the phone that's without it.
>>
You'd be better off with a Key2 or the LE. Runs Android 8. Doesn't work with AT&T anymore, still works on T-Mobile. Keyboard not quite as good as the OG blackberrys but still pretty damn good.
>>
>>102093077
I'd recommend getting a Unihertz Titan instead. It's got practically none of the issues you mentioned here except bezels and shit camera, but if you're considering this you're already a niche user who probably won't care.

Where the Titan shines is in its 6000mah battery though. That's where things go from cool to rad.
>>
>>102093214
>Can't. Locked bootloader
F. Goodnight sweet prince
>>
>>102093077
Priv? fuck no.
Key2 and Key2 LE? maybe. I had the LE until last year and it was a decent phone, all things considered.

I won't recommend the Titan. I owned two and both of them were of terrible quality. Maybe the Titan Pocket or Titan Slim are better, but to be honest, I think Unihertz is a sketchy company and should be avoided.
>>
>>102093077
The Key2 can go as high as Andorid 8.1 so that'll probably keep your apps alive a while.
>>
>>102093077
I had a KeyOne for years but I've given up the keyboard fight, OP. The keys are stiff on the Blackberry, and support is next to none. Not to mention that the camera is trash. I'm on a OnePlus Pro now with 12GB of RAM (should be enough for anybody). Dictation is almost good enough to replace the keyboard and I'm honestly glad I made the switch.
>>
>>102093077

I actually owned a Priv for years, and it was great. What's sad about it though is that touch-keyboards are so much better now that I honestly just ended up using it as a small-form smartphone and kinda ended up forgetting about the entire physical keyboard. The screen is good and its nice and small if you don't flip it out.
>>
>>102093077
Half a decade too late for this trend. All smartphones are slight variants of the same bricks now, the time of innovation and creativity are long gone.
>>
>>102094937
This. If you're willing to be a little cynical about it, phones are pretty much a dead sector at this point in terms of innovation. The only brands that do literally anything different from the standard brick-designed phones with varying specs are so incredibly niche they live and die on one-hit-wonder products.

Until we have another 2006-moment, a paradigm shift of some form, phones are going to remain this weird boring bleak trend. Until that happens you might as well buy a brick every 3ish years and hope that it doesn't get worse (it probably will) while sighing at dead opportunities you were too late to jump on.
That's, of course, the cynical perspective.
>>
get fucking taste, holy shit
>>
>>102093077
No you fucking retard.
>>
>>102093077
No. Why? You can buy a phone at random and you'll probably find something better than this.
>>
File: 1377177911116.jpg (306 KB, 1456x1000)
306 KB
306 KB JPG
Not worth it. This was a discussion to have during 2017. Too much time has passed.

>>102093823
Key1 got software locked out of new versions of android. I imagine Key2 already is locked on a certain version.
>>
>>102093077
Fuck no. I tried dailying one in 2018 and after a month of horrid battery life and constant overheating I chucked it on Ebay and got an LG G6. Even a new, OEM battery only helped it slightly. It's wasn't worth the hassle then and you'd have to be a retard to think it's worth it 6 years later.
>>
>>102093077
They're cheap so buy one. Why is this a big deal? If you're poor fix your horrible personal defects which made you poor then go play stupid phone gaymes.
>>
>>102095137
Based

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.